Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Bluechulappa;1217468 said:
Hey tC's are fun what are you talking about?

I'm not knocking the TC.....I'm just saying you wouldn't have quite the adventure! I see them all day long. Pretty cool if you tweek them a little.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
bryanintexas;1217482 said:
I'm not knocking the TC.....I'm just saying you wouldn't have quite the adventure! I see them all day long. Pretty cool if you tweek them a little.

Yea but NOT when you are in a tC racing another tC with bolt on at full throttle inching up on the mph needle while a turbo mk3 flys by at like a quarter throttle.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
*UPDATE-
Shimmed oil pump and primed it...
Got the aN oil line fully secured
Pan is ready to be sealed as it sits now!

The bad news is I need to find another head. (I think I have two lined up though) The machine shop is not happy with the new head either. They said it would work but they just aren't pleased with it. So I'm going to talk to my dad and ask his what he wants to do.

The new head has about 10 thousandths more metal on the deck than the old one so thats good. The upper part where cams sit was warped bad and some of the valves leak so I would need valve job!

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Bummer on the head man but I'm sure you can find a good one, dont give up. Much easier for you guys to find stuff over there than it is here.

Was the head soft too? I'm guessing warped from having over heated at some stage in its life?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So what should I do guys? The machine shop said it would work but they weren't happy with it. But they are more perfectionist. They are telling me its not perfect. These other two heads I have found are part of whole engines from a junk yard and my dad bets that they are worse than the two I have at the machine shop.

The head I was running seemed fine when I drove it all year. The shop tested it and said it was all uneven and leaking bad.

The new head is kinda warped on the top where the cams go. But the machinist said the cams are pretty forgiving and it would work. Head already shaved.

Should I have them assemble my newest head and just run it? I dunno what to do! My dad isn't being much help!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Why not look for a good GE head? It'll work fine. I ran one on my 86.5 with gte swap. You can swap the intake cam out with your gte one but you might have to do some re-shimming. I think the ge cam will work ok for you since your power goals aren't crazy.

See what you can find before you "settle" with the head you got now.

IF you do end up having to use the one you got, why not just have it rebuilt? I know it'll be $$ but it would be worth it. I think the average cost is around $450 bucks to have a head rebuilt.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Why would a head in a junk yard be worse than what you've got now. The car was obviously running if it's wrecked and in a junk yard. I don't know why the head would be warped or anything. I would get another one and have the machine shop rebuild it. Good luck either way.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Well they guy we got the supra from in the beginning is dropping off a head from one of those engines in the yard. He's taking it to the machine shop and putting it under my name so hopefully that one will check out. Maybe a GE head is in order

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Bluechulappa;1217501 said:
Yea but NOT when you are in a tC racing another tC with bolt on at full throttle inching up on the mph needle while a turbo mk3 flys by at like a quarter throttle.

Wasnt the mk3 me? =p haha

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
the guy at scroggins = bleh im letting them rebuild my block but taking my head somewhere else. He tried telling me it was trash because the head was shaved out of toyota specs. well no shiet thats why we run thicker gaskets.

the head i sold you worked perfectly with no problems. screw that guy take it somewhere else.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Patch;1218623 said:
the guy at scroggins = bleh im letting them rebuild my block but taking my head somewhere else. He tried telling me it was trash because the head was shaved out of toyota specs. well no shiet thats why we run thicker gaskets.

the head i sold you worked perfectly with no problems. screw that guy take it somewhere else.

I know man. They are brothers that run the place. I believe Tommy manages the blocks and Bobby manages the heads. That's how I see it anyways. They are pretty much perfectionist, but this can be a good/bad thing. Bobby said both heads I have so far will work, but he's not that happy with them, whatever that means.

I should have a 3rd head at the shop tomorrow, lol they will probably charge me to store all these heads as they have got to be taking up some room. I'm trying to avoid a valve job but if I end up doing one, I want it done on the best head that I have! No use in rebuilding the weaker head.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
True that. I'd run my head if I were you, at least you already have a mhg for it.

I know their mom is the phone person, she answered and I hears one of them say mom and she responded. I'm sure they do good work, but I don't know, I don't like the thought of my head being there....

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
What IF and I stress IF, I was to get a brand new OEM 7mgte head and use a 1.3mm mhg to seal it? Anyone have a clue of how much that might cost?

The reason I ask is my dad just got this idea of possibly going this route but cant look it up till tomorrow. The 3rd head under my name at the machine shop, well to put bluntly, Bobby said "It looks like SHIT"!

He said out of the 3 heads I have I would go with the one that Patch sold me. So I can either do that and have a valve job done and use my 2mm mhg or I dunno.... LOL Damn this is pissing me off, valuable time is being wasted in prep for tx2k9! AHHHHH

Bobby said the water jackets on the head are corroded. How exactly will it affect the head? Lifespan?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Bluechulappa;1219446 said:
What IF and I stress IF, I was to get a brand new OEM 7mgte head and use a 1.3mm mhg to seal it? Anyone have a clue of how much that might cost?

The reason I ask is my dad just got this idea of possibly going this route but cant look it up till tomorrow. The 3rd head under my name at the machine shop, well to put bluntly, Bobby said "It looks like SHIT"!

He said out of the 3 heads I have I would go with the one that Patch sold me. So I can either do that and have a valve job done and use my 2mm mhg or I dunno.... LOL Damn this is pissing me off, valuable time is being wasted in prep for tx2k9! AHHHHH

Bobby said the water jackets on the head are corroded. How exactly will it affect the head? Lifespan?

Quit stressing over the time factor. Once you've got everything, it won't take but a few days to get it all put back together and into the car.

Who know's how much it'll cost for a new OEM head, but I'm guessing over $1000 bucks, and I'm being conservative. But, your dad has a super secret discount so maybe it will be within reach.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
gtsfirefighter;1219466 said:
Quit stressing over the time factor. Once you've got everything, it won't take but a few days to get it all put back together and into the car.

Who know's how much it'll cost for a new OEM head, but I'm guessing over $1000 bucks, and I'm being conservative. But, your dad has a super secret discount so maybe it will be within reach.

Shit it aint that super! I think I will have to go with the head I bought from patch probably. It's already shaved for the hg I have, we should be able to get a valve job done on it. Bobby was just worried about warpage on the upper part. I'm guessing where the cams go. He said the cams are forgiving though...

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Thanks! Is there a maximum warpage for the camshaft journals? I'm trying to figure out why all the heads I have taken to this place are said to be warped on the top end where the cams are. The head surfaces are fine. But the top wtf? I can't find info on this!