Bigaaron's "5M crank in a 7M" build thread!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
As of 1pm today, the block still looks like this :cry: Everything was on hold while the pistons were being made.
I think I will have it back within 2 weeks. I have a few special things in mind for this build that will (in ARZ's words) "totally blow you away" :biglaugh:
p687938_1.jpg

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
bigaaron said:
ckick me

Block is almost done, pics maybe in a few days.

This showed up today too!

p697095_1.jpg

p697095_2.jpg

So you don't plan on going big HP I assume? .. since that damper (off the shelf) is good for no more than 500 RWHP. Nice piece though.. I am waiting on my custom damper from them to be made.

Edit: Is this an off the shelf or custom made? Before I make assumptions :)

Duane

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
upgradedsupra said:
So you don't plan on going big HP I assume? .. since that damper (off the shelf) is good for no more than 500 RWHP. Nice piece though.. I am waiting on my custom damper from them to be made.

Edit: Is this an off the shelf or custom made? Before I make assumptions :)

Duane

That's news to me. :aigo: Last time I called ATI about a custom pulley they told me 6 months and $800! Why is the pulley only be good to a certain horsepower? I could see if it was good to a certain rpm, but how would the hp affect the pulley?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
bigaaron said:
That's news to me. :aigo: Last time I called ATI about a custom pulley they told me 6 months and $800! Why is the pulley only be good to a certain horsepower? I could see if it was good to a certain rpm, but how would the hp affect the pulley?

IIRC it has to do with the amount of vibration that is subjected to the crank/drivetrain at higher HP levels :dunno:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I called them to ask. I'll be ok, better then if it was the stock pulley. For higher horsepower they would use a larger diameter custom pulley, but there's no imaginary line at 500hp. At some point the dampener may not offer as much protection as it does at lower hp levels, but the stock one wouldn't be any better at any hp or rpm. 500whp is the upper end of where I want to go with this engine. It's more about performance and throttle response with this one.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
bigaaron said:

My bad, I forgot to mention RPM in there as well. It is a 2 month wait and 900 bucks to be exact, ask me how I know.

I should of added this but rather than me coming up with this, Figgie said it best from my old thread.

figgie said:
didn't i put it on here??

You are focusing on load when that is not the dampeners job ;) What it has to do with though, is with torsional dampening. Toyota not even in their wildest imagination designed the OEM to dampen more than OEM horsepower (measure the thickness of the rubber). As power goes up torsional vibration becomes that much worse. Especially on the #1 powerstroke where it is the most severe. The wobble experienced by Duane was caused by the OEM attempting to dampen 800 hp worth of harmonics and torsional resonance. The rubber gave the ghost up. On the surface it would seem like a load driven failure but the real cause of the failure is the aforemention harmonics and torsional resonance that accompanies high HP engines.

Duane

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Being shorter stroke I'd expect less deflection at the same HP level so the 7M damper should in theory be good for more HP in this motor!

I'm sure ATI could calulate the new HP Rating for the damper if you provide them with the stroke info Aaron.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
IJ. said:
Being shorter stroke I'd expect less deflection at the same HP level so the 7M damper should in theory be good for more HP in this motor!

I'm sure ATI could calulate the new HP Rating for the damper if you provide them with the stroke info Aaron.

That's a good point, I was kinda thinking that way too. With a fully balanced rotating assembly, and shorter stroke, I should be able to run more horsepower with less harmonics and vibration. That is one of the main goals for this project.

Either way, my bed is already made, so now I will have to lie in it. :biglaugh:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
upgradedsupra said:
My bad, I forgot to mention RPM in there as well. It is a 2 month wait and 900 bucks to be exact, ask me how I know.

I should of added this but rather than me coming up with this, Figgie said it best from my old thread.

Duane

Good info, thanks for bringing up a good point!