Bigaaron's "5M crank in a 7M" build thread!

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
niceness. i wanted to do this back when i had a good job as a millwright and could afford it. im glad too see that someone will actuall make this happen. i better be seeing vids the day this monster is running!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
YES! I got the crank back and took it to the machine shop. I have all the measurements for my custom pistons now, so I will be placing an order for my pistons on Monday.

I had all the aluminum parts for the engine powder coated black.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I didn't have a camera, it looked just like a 7m crank, but a just a tiny bit smaller. :icon_wink

I am going to do this as a kit if I can get a hold of more 5m cranks. The new shop I'm using has no problem doing the job. It came out so nice that you wouldn't be able to tell the snout was modified.

I found out that the "issues" Castillo's was supposedly having with my crank were all a bunch of lies to try to get more time. It was never hardened, the snout was not crooked, and it never needed peening or any of that other bs. They hadn't even welded the snout on at all. They didn't charge me for the work they did do, so it's not like I can make a big deal about it. But I will not be back there again. In 6 months there was about 2 hours of work put into it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Aaron: This shit happens all the time people grab whatever work they can without realising they can't charge enough to make it worthwhile then fuck the customer around with BS excuses once they realise they have too much booked in.

Gets worse the second you go custom on anything.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, that it does, Ian. :3d_frown:

It is DAMN hard to find a reputable shop, at least here in Central Florida. We've got a couple of good ones, though :)

supramic

Feb 4, 2006
magnolia DE.
wow aron you have to take some video of you reving the car up.
hey when you get it done how much do you think that the new cranks will cost ??

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Pistons are ordered, should be here around July 5th. I decided on Arias for my pistons, they seem to have a lot of experience with high reving import engines. I'm going to run the extra heavy duty tool steel pins.

With CP it was going to take about 4-6 weeks, and I really can't wait that long.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I added moly skirt coatings to the piston order today, so add a few more days until I have more pics to post. :cry:
Rings are going to be 1.2mm thick for top, 1.2mm for bottom, and 4mm for oil.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
One of the engineers talked me out of ceramic coatings on the crown.
He said for a street car the ceramic coating reduces heat in the piston, but increases the heat absorbed by the cylinder head. Since our 7m engines have oil squirters, and we want the cylinder head to stay together, I tend to agree with them. He said on a full race engine that gets torn down every season, it would be a good idea. If I ceramic coated the cylinder head also, then maybe it would be better, but I'm honestly running out of money to put into the project. Not that I don't have the money, but at a certain point it gets so expensive that it's not fun anymore. At least that's how it is for me...

Last edited: