Bigaaron's "5M crank in a 7M" build thread!

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
custom work takes time. you can never expect it to go as planned, and it will always cost more than you anticipated. thats just the nature of working on and with cars.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
IJ. said:
Aaron: No cranks should be actually spinning in the Oil......

The knife edging is done so it has less resistance to the oil that's drainging back while running (never been a fan of it and prefer a nice smooth radius)
actually the older honda engines did. Russ Collins told me this ;)

when they built motors for tc klien, they would run the engine low on oil. it gave then a 5whp advantage over the other cars... not alot, but when you are running showroom stock, every hp counts, and it did.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Matt: Never ever seen an engine where that happens. :aigo:

Some get a LOT of windage from oil drain back being badly placed.

It takes 8+ qts in a 7M before you get close to the crank.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I'm going to reclaim my still unfinished crank in the morning. Castillo's was lying to me for a week at least saying it was done and just needed to be dropped off at the machine shop. I went in there last week and the snout wasn't even welded on! It was just screwed into the crank and needs to be welded, machined, and keys cut! I found another local shop that does all sorts of custom welding and crank work. They even make one-off billet cranks, but I don't have that kind of cash. So they estimated 2 weeks and were a lot more convincing about their ability to finish the job. I guess we'll see. I could just go back to a 7m crank, but I really want to see this through now I have come so far.

C

cnewingham

sucks to hear you were getting shafted Aaron. You are this far in already so might as well be patient.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Aaron: Damn can't say I'm surprised though it seems to be the norm these days......

Shops take on jobs thinking "this is cream" then discover how many engineering hours are involved and how much that's affecting other more profitable jobs so they get put on a back burner.

It's the outright lies to the customer that shit me to tears.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Thanks for the support! I am completely determined now.

I am installing a motherfu-king 5m crank in this engine if it is the last motherfu-king thing I ever do! :biglaugh:
I don't care how many crank shops I have to go to LOL

Well I do have something to motivate me now...... I picked up my head today! :aigo:

It's got:
BC 1mm oversize stainless valves
BC titanium retainers
BC springs
Web Cam hard welded cams with increased lift and duration
New valve guides
7/16 exhaust manifold studs
Surface is so smooth that the RA must be under 5.
Mild port/polish work

I got my crank back today, and took it to the new shop. The new place looks much more modern, and I feel much more confident about the people there.
I talked to them about hardening it, and he said that the stock crank is induction hardened, which shows in the discoloration on both sides of all the journals, and nitride gas hardening would not be the right way to do it. I'm really at a loss when it comes to knowing all the different crank hardening processes, and which is the correct one to choose. I need to do some research on that.

Last edited:

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
p624302_1.jpg

Cant wait for the finished product.!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Aaron: Correct the stock hardening is Induction but it's quite expensive to set up for so most shops don't have the facility to do it.

You can usually get away with a 10 thou cut on 7M cranks so this leads me to believe Toyota didn't use a lot of power during the process and the hardening isn't that deep.

Your problem will be any welding done on the snout "could" affect the hardness of #1 Main.

If it were mine following the welding I'd have them stress relieve it then deep nitride it have it ground to finished size balanced and Cryo'd considering how high you plan to spin it.

It all adds up but it's one of those things were you pay to play.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Doward said:
This is going to be the 1JZ killer, as far as revability goes. I can't wait to see this thing in action :D

Oh I sure hope so! I think I am going to put an HKS exhaust on it, there is something about the sound of the HKS mufflers that I just love.
One of the things I am really looking forward to is hearing what it will sound like. I wonder if it will have a totally different sound then a normal 7m.

Last edited:

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
bigaaron said:
Block was cleaned and magnafluxed, ready for the full treatment!
p636111_1.jpg

I saw your block over at SA, I was checking it out. Didn't know that you guys used that shop.

Post pics when you get the crank back!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I'm hopefully getting my crank back tomorrow!!! :aigo: :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg