Bigaaron's "5M crank in a 7M" build thread!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I'm gonna rev it to the moon!

I forgot to take pics of my Eagle rods, but you know what they look like. Big thanks to Rich from Summit Performance for the super fast shipping on the rods!!!

I'm going to go with a set of custom Arias forged pistons for this project.

The crank is still not done.......................................................:sleep:
I had them send it out to get hardened. Once it came back the heat treatment must have relieved some stress in a part of the snout on one side where it was welded, making it almost .010" crooked. :cry: So they have to cut it off and make a new snout. :icon_evil

I have to take pics of my cams tomorrow! I got them hard welded at Web Cams to increase the lift and duration.

1mm os ss valves!
p581422_1.jpg

BC TI retainers and new valve springs!
p581422_2.jpg

The flywheel I inherited from Suprahero, I think that's all that's left of his old 7m LOL Thanks Jay! :icon_wink
p581422_3.jpg

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Dropped off all the head parts at the machine shop today.

Our new super-duper-kick-ass BHJ torque plate! It can accept up to .060" over cylinder bores, and has hardened inserts.
p582528_1.jpg

My Eagle rods. Thanks again Rich!
p582528_2.jpg

Block was cleaned and magnafluxed, ready for the full treatment!
p582528_3.jpg

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
This is going in my 88 Supra, that was the plan from day one. I'm going to take out the 7m that's in it now, freshen it up, and put it in my 4x4 Toyota truck :icon_wink

It's gonna look similar to this, but I had an intake manifold powder coated for it, and I'm going to use the Summit coils.

p582555_1.jpg

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
looking good dude. keep on keepin on brotha. :biglaugh: btw. im gonna ship those two things out for ya on monday, sorry about the wait, i totally forgot. oh and could you ship us back that other remote for the car? we realized were gonna need it. lol.

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
If a 5m and a 7m crank pretty much interchange, you should look into this, I met a guy who worked in a shop in Hawaii, and I got into a long discussion about supras, and mentioned that one of his first cars was a mkII supra with a 5m. He told me that he and his dad placed a crank from a chevy-said that it was pretty much a 100% match for the 5m, I never looked into it or anything but I think that it was from a 250 or a 276 or some crap like that.

that's all I know about it though, my $.02

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The 5m block is at the recycling plant in the scrap metal pile :biglaugh:

I wish I had more done on this engine, but Castillo's has been telling me every day for the past three weeks that "it will be done tomorrow, call me around 9:00am tomorrow". I dropped off the crank in January and was told it would take 2-3 weeks, it's been over 3 months.

I can't order my pistons until we take measurements of the finished crank and the block, so I can get the correct compression ratio with the 1.2mm hg.