Bad idea 101

S

SageMoonblade

Those bolts were done right, its the bearings that spun causing the rods to blow out.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
Adrian98;900293 said:
doesn't sound too Professionally built to me if the rods bolts were not thread locked on

ive never done or heard of that on rod and main bolts..

if the builder was in question the motor would have let go with in 2k.

some sort of debree is taking out your engine...
do you send it to a shop to have the oil changed?

plugs?

unless the engine builder cheaped out on every source of parts i would say some thing else..

the 7m has oiling issues to, but not genrally unsoveble,

rebuilt and resized is the way to go...

would any other engine choice satisfy your power goals?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SageMoonblade;900219 said:
One off set of home made engine mounts and trans mounts. It seems easy enough. May have to fabricate a new cross-member though. The car has what would look like a standard transmission tunnel in it heading toward the rear end.

Isn't the transfer case part of a normal transverse mounted gearbox on those?

Just wondering if I understand this correctly that you're going to mount an I-6 North South somehow to an East West gearbox?

S

SageMoonblade

I send my oil out every third time I change it, comes back good normally. Part of the problem comes from the rod bearing design.. no anti spin tabs but this is not the whole issue. Tabs are often put in but they only add about 5000-10000 extra miles to an engine. Its odd being that the Non-turbo version of the engine lasts for 150000-200000 miles but is no different really.

S

SageMoonblade

I am looking to use both the Supra engine and transmission and fabricate a way to mount it as it would sit in a Supra and maybe, providing there is room, retain the AWD capability redoing it to more resemble a 4X4 truck.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Anyone know if there's been a RWD GT before? I can't find one... Sounds like it'd be hella tight too! I love those cars but FWD.... Meh.... And like you said the AWD VR4 is really temperamental...

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I can see it happening with alot of work... but not AWD. And fitting a toyota 4x4 drivetrain to make it 4wheel drive is gonna completely ruin the way it drives.

S

SageMoonblade

The depth is one of th bad points... thats why I need the engine dimensions to make sure.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
You could probably do the 7mgte in rwd formation with considerable fabrication. However, I'm almost positive you will be making a new firewall and crossmember. Is there not a V-6 that would drop in easy...say a vg30 from a 300zx?

S

SageMoonblade

i can find nothing that will bolt into the stock location do to the way it is located... its TIGHT.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
The VR4 is 300 pounds heavier than our Supra's with the stock engine/driveline. Would you put a 2liter in your Supra? They power the DSM's fine but I couldn't see putting a 2 liter 4 cyl in a performance car so heavy.