Bad idea 101

MrWOT

NERD
May 9, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
Noone can tell you why? Hell, I take take a guess just from reading how the engine failed and the fact that N/As live. It's the oil feed distribution. Obviously the mains are the last to see oil. The reason the N/A lives so long is the lack of oil being diverted to the turbo so the mains see oil faster. Might be wrong, never looked at that engine, but that's what it sounds like. It should be fixable, but not easy, will require tapping into the oil galleries. But screw that, go with the 7M, as long as you aren't planning on massive power without shoring up the block it's a great motor.

S

SageMoonblade

Think what you will of what I have told you about my problems, I am a professional mechanic for a living, I work on aircraft and thus held to the highest standards this side of NASA. Also have been doing auto work for since I was 6 years old, never insult my ability to take car of what I own.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Outside the box swaps are just damn cool. Expensive, time consuming, and difficult... which is why they're damn cool.

Few people have the skill, dedication, and/or funds to truely pull them off. No one can argue that examples like the Civette aren't just plain damn cool. Unsafe? Maybe. Pointless? Perhaps... but still fucking awesome.

A 3000gt with a 7M is a ballsy undertaking. IMO, stop stepping on the guy's toes... he came here for help, not to hear trash talk. One would surmise flattery not annoyance, at being chosen as the community to come to for -useful- information.

He clearly knows what he's doing, and is willing to go the distance. Atleast try to help the guy out a bit. In the very least, if he doesn't know what he's doing, it's his time and money to spend.

As far as I know, the R-154 was the beefiest transmission of the R-series, the other R transmissions were all truck transmissions for 2wd/4wd applications. The R154 would atleast save you making a custom bellhousing adaptor, making it your best bet if you're using a 7M.

A 1UZ is a very viable engine, I would also seriously consider that as well if you're planning an unorthodox swap. And surprisingly they're cheap too... I don't know how that works

pogoism9

1UZ for me!
May 18, 2007
fredericksburg, va
I'm sure it can be done. What I can't wrap my head around is why you would want a 7M. The VR4 had 320hp am I correct? I would probably grab a 2JZGTE Aristo clip and work with that. Same inline 6 kickassness, same power output as the VR4 and probably weighs less than the 6 in the 3000. Wouldn't surprise me if the dimensions were more in line with what you need.

While i'm a HUGE advocate for the use of a good 7M, for your application, I don't think it would be good. 232hp vs 320 is gonna play hell with performance, and its alot harder to make big power with a 7M than a 2J.

Just my 2c

By the way, if you DO decide to do this, I HAVE to see pics. My interest has been piqued. :)

Also, due to the VR4 being a big pig of a car, just get rid of the AWD.

S

SageMoonblade

If I get rid of the the AWD portion of the car I'm gonna want to swap the front end somewhat. I don't know to what end I will need to find out more about replacing the front spindles with something that will work. BTW I saw the mentioning of a 2jz engine instead of the 7m, would there really be any difference in dimensions? just curious cause i have done 2jz work in the past.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
some are quick to bash the 7m research the guys on here that have kept the 7m's and are pumping out high hp numbers... drjonez and upgradedsupra for starters and there are more....but I used them because they are good examples of what you can pull out of a 7m with stock internals and one thats built...

drjonez is putting down 500rwhp for years now on stock bottom end with metal headgasket and arp's on bone stock 7mgte internals.... just goes to show you that it is a reliable engine if you know what you are doing and know how to properly maintain a 7m....

upgradedsupra on here has a fully built 7m with over 800 rwhp.....

but yes a 2jz will fit in anything you can put a 7m in.... but it is alot more expensive of a swap and a properly done 7m will be reliable.... if you want 500rwhp or under you need a fresh 7mgte with metal headgasket and arps torqued down to 80-85ftlbs.. just make sure you have the head and block surfaced properly so it will seal correctly... If you want over 500rwhp id suggest building it up the stock cranks are good to go but id change out the pistons and rods for anything over 500rwhp.... but all in all they are good engines if properly tuned and maintained...

I for one like what your doing it will be a one of a kind when your done... Hope everything works out for you... but have you thought of just buying a supra.. much easier

Last edited:
S

SageMoonblade

I had a gen 4 Supra for a bit. It was bought as a flood car from Texas, 12,000 later it was stolen just after it was finished. Left to go get plates and came back, it was gone.

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
damn that sucks big time....

id hate to have my supra stolen...

just research the guys i listed in previous post on there builds as far as the 7m is concerned...

but all in all you could probably sell the vr4 as it sits and buy a supra without an engine and go from there will save you alot of fabricating... but if you do go through with it in the vr4 be sure to take plenty of pictures and keep us updated with your progress

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i said a 2j into an aristo i-four if you can get ahold of one. now THAT would be kickass.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
OK, as a 3s enthusiast, I got about half way through this thread and wanted to slit my wrist. First issue, mitsubishi had a bad batch of oil pumps come out recently, all of the known rebuilders are looking for NOS (new old stock) pump and even USED(!) pumps due to this issue, number two, the biggest reason why the rods spin is the fact that the bearing surface is smaller, no anti spin tabs like mentioned earlier, Crappy rebuilders, the most unforseen though is the fact a bad tune will cause the rod to literally beat the crap out of the bearing, the headgaskets are MLS factory and torqued to 90psi, they wont blow, the rod bearings are left to take the beating.

Want more performance with less trouble, buy a 3.5l from a JDM Debonaire, the bearings are larger and will take more to abuse, the heads are interchangeable(you would want to use your VR4 heads due to larger intake ports), better oiling design and they DROP RIGHT IN! Do your self a favor and ask me more about it.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
and when I mean wont blow, I mean 30psi from monster turbos wont blow. People are making over 1000hp from stock rod bolts and stock headgaskets.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
SageMoonblade;900375 said:
I am looking to use both the Supra engine and transmission and fabricate a way to mount it as it would sit in a Supra and maybe, providing there is room, retain the AWD capability redoing it to more resemble a 4X4 truck.

LOL!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is a buddy of mine's you can see it in action at about 5:30.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=07_FEDxxXAI

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
I have yet to see it/ride in it in person, but I'm told it's the place to be on a drunken Friday night.... LOL!!!

To be honest I've never been rootin' before... Anyone ever see a lifted MKIII? That would be interesting to see...