2JZ NA-T in my 87T

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
hows the stinger working out anyway? Any road blocks, other than the wiring? Just curious, i have no experience with stinger nor haltec yet i may run either.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Stinger is great :) I really like it, great user interface, I'd defintaely do it again. Tuning was a breeze. The car runs great, no problems at all, it acts just like it's on the stock ECU. I do need to setup the stinger's RPM output, so my tach won't be off. The wiring couldn't have been easier, considering Aaron drew everything out for me. I'm just stupid lol. I hear really good things about haltec, but I have no experience with it so I'm not sure how it would compare.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I figured out something for you on that tach output that you will like!

When you set the stinger to tach output it makes ground pulses. The stock tack needs to see a small positive voltage pulse to work. So what I did was put a pull-up resistor to 12v ign and it works beautiful! So set one aux output to be tachometer, hook the wire to the black tach wire in the dash harness, and hook a 2.5k ohm resistor from the tach wire to a switched 12v ignition wire.

To test it I used a 5k ohm pot and varied the resistance, and I found that just about any value resistor from 1k to 5k would work, but around 2.5k 1/4w or 1/2w should be good.

Last edited:

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
bigaaron said:
I figured out something for you on that tach output that you will like!

When you set the stinger to tach output it makes ground pulses. The stock tack needs to see a small posivive voltage pulse to work. So what I did was put a pull-up resistor to 12v ign and it works beautiful! So set one aux output to be tachometer, hook the wire to the black tach wire in the dash harness, and hook a 2.5k ohm resistor from the tach wire to a switched 12v ignition wire.

To test it I used a 5k ohm pot and varied the resistance, and I found that just about any value resistor from 1k to 5k would work, but around 2.5k 1/4w or 1/2w should be good.

Thats good information bigaaron. +1 for you

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
Thanks Aaron, kick ass :)

I think I got what you're saying... like this maybe?

stingertachoutputpn7.png

OH, and another thought, would I need a diode to flow from the 12v switched ignition before it splices with the tach wire?

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
hottscennessey said:
Look what I got today from the junk yard for under $100
And my car in general... 89+ stuff won't go on until I get paint.. I think.

Stop talking about paint :) the paint on your car looks good but maybe im not seeing what you are seeing?

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
LOL speak for yourself! Quit with the touch-ups, your car belongs in a musem or something!

..wait.. WTF.. why arn't you studying? Dude you better hit the books before you get a B+!!!!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's called a pull-up resistor, even if you put the resistor directly to ground it would draw only .0056 amps, .07 watts. It is only so that the tach sees a positive voltage, and the stinger makes it drop to 0v each time there is a tach pulse, making a frequency the tach can display as rpm.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
scott there is a 2jz-ge for sale for $200 in PA. i know you were talking about getting a spare engine to build up so thought i would let you know