1UZ into my MKIII

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Time for some updates,

The drivers side header is complete and the passanger side is about half way complete and will be finished tomorrow.

Here are some photo's

Completed Drivers side (Left)
p1185646_1.jpg

p1185646_2.jpg

Particially completed Passanger side (Right)
p1185646_3.jpg

p1185646_4.jpg

p1185646_5.jpg

I also picked up another 1uz cause I got a hell-of-a deal on it. Its a 93 LS400 engine that has a documented 76,XXX miles on it for $250. The engine in the picks is now going to become a build up motor for boost at a later date. The new engine that I got the other day will be going into the car next week.

More progress to come.....

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Nashman, thanks.......

--------------------------------

Well the headers for the swap are now finished.

Here are some pics of the passanger (right) side in progression and completion as of this evening...

p1186268_1.jpg

p1186268_2.jpg

p1186268_3.jpg

p1186268_4.jpg

p1186268_5.jpg

p1186268_6.jpg

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Here's a few shots of the two headers (left and right).

p1186273_1.jpg

p1186273_2.jpg

p1186273_3.jpg

p1186273_4.jpg

------------------------------------

Now that the headers are done, its pretty much time to start yanking out the worn out / limping around 7M to make room for the UZ.

Now here is the part that Im sure some are going to flame me for or what not but although this might seem backwards or what not, alone with the actuall swap, I am going to be converting the car to manual brakes.... Yes, I did say manual brakes.. No more power booster.

The initial conversion to manual brakes is still going to be using the stock master cylinder. The reason behind it is cause I am working on a dual master cylinder conversion that would have a ballance bar and all just like a race dual master cylinder pedal assembly except that it will use the stock pedal. The pedal wil be modified to change the pedal ratio but this is just a simple drilled hole. The conversion and modification does not hinder the ability to go back to stock power brakes if I so choose to do so.

Any question, feel free to ask... Flame away too if you'd like...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ooo oooo me me i have qestion

WHY? shit in the way or some thing or just wana try some thing diffent cause stock works umm fine and if you don't liek ti add a prop vavle in it

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Nash, Im assuming that you are asking "WHY" about the manual brake conversion.....

Well the stock booster interfers with the valve cover, but thats an easy fix by swaping to the mid 80's 2wd truck booster. My reason is for starters, it would open up room for down pipes later on for the TT set up. Plus the other reason is cause I am working on a mount assembly to be able to run dual master cylider with a ballance bar but being able to keep the stock pedal... Having dual cylinders and a ballance bar attachment allows for far more tunability of the brakes.. The car will probably see a lot of track days down in Sebring once the swap is done and I rebuild the suspension being that it is totally shot.. Have to adjustability is favorable in my opinion plus I can get rid of the stock in accurate proportioning valve....

To add to this, I was in a accident about 4 years ago at highways speeds cause I had to get on the brakes cause of some jackass infront of me well the booster had gone out somehow... well a car set up for power brakes doesn't stop worth a shit to say the least and I know that the likelyhood of it happening again is slim to none, its still a change that I am going to avoid. The last part of it is that IMO, it makes the engine bay look cleaner too.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
why put turbo there and throw away such nice header's when you can do rear monte turbo setup

that what i whould do in that siuwation

but as for the brake set up it's just diffent it will work just fine lots of work thou and very unquie to any other car that bena built thus far

they only thing i have agaist prop vavles and dual master is your brake will be set for certon type's of weather and if forgoten one day to swap back it choudl be raining or snowing and you chould be in ugly sitaion

this has happened to person i knew happen whne it was raing he inressed the rear basie and pretty much lock the rear not front and slid into some one

i wanted to put on in my car but the rear brakes suck in the supra

and i think there elage if remmber right

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
yeah, rear brakes do suck on our cars... hell, for that matter front and rear both do, but I've got much better brakes in the front now and will be building the rear kit along with the suspension.

fronts are 330mm x 1.25 thick rotors and 6pot calipers
rears are going to be 325mm x 1.00 thick rotors with 4pot calipers.

another thing to note is that with the dual master cylinder set up and having a ballance bar assembly, it will be adjustable from in the car, on the fly. I had the same type of set up on my RX-7 and loved it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran no booster in my ttv8 240z, and ran a proportioning valve between the seats as the car only weighed 1076 Kg's wet and had 120 litre fuel capacity (110 Kg's) so there was a HUGE change in braking full/empty.

Shouldn't be as noticable in a Mk3 due to it's mass, my car has a 115L tank now and I'm not seeing any of the issues of the Z.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
IJ.;1186732 said:
I ran no booster in my ttv8 240z, and ran a proportioning valve between the seats as the car only weighed 1076 Kg's wet and had 120 litre fuel capacity (110 Kg's) so there was a HUGE change in braking full/empty.

Shouldn't be as noticable in a Mk3 due to it's mass, my car has a 115L tank now and I'm not seeing any of the issues of the Z.

Ian, did you change the pedal ratio on the Z or was it manual to begin with?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Hey gang, a bit of a small update. The engine is in the car. I'll get some pics uploaded later on this eve after I finish up for the night and get cleaned up......

One thing to note is that to my amazement, then headers do not hit the floor/ firwall area like I was afraid they would so Im prett happy about that and that I dont have to hammer in that area....

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
As promised, a few pics now that the engine is in. I just wish that I had a bit more time to be able to clean the engine bay more and paint it cause it looks like total shit...

Engine about to go in.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Engine in....
p1191508_1.jpg

p1191508_2.jpg

p1191508_3.jpg