1UZ into my MKIII

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Yeah, I've thought about a snail or two in the tail, well see what the future holds.....

Anyways, More stuff arived today but my camera is on the fritz (think just a week battery) so no pictures of the new goodies yet, but soon to come.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Well, camera decided to start working again. Havent really got much done since the last up date except the bits of wiring harness's that I can do ahead of time.

In the first photo, you can see all the wiring stuff, more Stainless tubing to finish building the headers (I am missing a piece of two), the new ECU board, Radiator (its a S14 / S15 nissan unit if anyone is curious, much cheaper then the Supra unit), and the wiring harness's that have been made. The second photo is just of the fitting of the Ign. Coil harness's (nothing to spectacular there).

Oh, if anyone is wondering, the coils are Honda CBR 600 F4i coils (which happen to be the same Denso coil that AEM sells as thier "pencil coils"). The Bike coils are a lot cheaper if you dont mind using used ones..... I got them for $20ea. compaired to $64.99ea. from AEM from a local bike wrecker and they were still in running bikes so I know they work.

More progress to come in the near future

Attachments

• 8-8-08 082.jpg
    8-8-08 082.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 71
  • 8-8-08 080.jpg
    8-8-08 080.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 97

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Holy shit man, glad to see you are still around and working on this. One day I will have a 1uz powered car (probably just keep it NA and when the urge for more power comes, hit it with a 100-150 shot).

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
cjsupra90;1100113 said:
More progress to come in the near future

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this project! What size are the outlets no that radiator? It was a real pain finding hoses which had 1-1/4" openings for the Supra radiator and 1-1/2" openings on the other end for the 1UZ.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
milisakeracing;1100591 said:
Looking forward to seeing more progress on this project! What size are the outlets no that radiator? It was a real pain finding hoses which had 1-1/4" openings for the Supra radiator and 1-1/2" openings on the other end for the 1UZ.

Mike, they are 1-3/8" but I'm cutting them off and welding on 1-1/2". The trick in your cause would have been to get a small section of neopreme hose with 1-1/4" I.D. and 1/8" wall thickness and cut them to about 1" to 1-1/2" in length and slipped them on the inlet and outlet of the radiator then just used 1-1/2" hoses. I know the stock SC400 lower work perfect, but we had to search the hose rack at the local parts house to find an upper for Jake's car.

Im also continplating the idea of making radiator hard pipe's (both upper and lower) and that would allow me to leave the fittings on the radiator and just use steped coulpers at the radiator.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
cjsupra90;1100623 said:
Mike, they are 1-3/8" but I'm cutting them off and welding on 1-1/2". The trick in your cause would have been to get a small section of neopreme hose with 1-1/4" I.D. and 1/8" wall thickness and cut them to about 1" to 1-1/2" in length and slipped them on the inlet and outlet of the radiator then just used 1-1/2" hoses. I know the stock SC400 lower work perfect, but we had to search the hose rack at the local parts house to find an upper for Jake's car.

Im also continplating the idea of making radiator hard pipe's (both upper and lower) and that would allow me to leave the fittings on the radiator and just use steped coulpers at the radiator.

I ended up finding solutions. In fact my lower uses a section of stainless steel process pipe, 1-1/2" diameter with two 90 degree radiator hoses. If you want the numbers for the hoses I'll send them over. The top hose used a Goodyear flexible radiator hose (rubber, not the metal type), again, I'll send over the number if interested. Wouldn't take much to replace it with a piece of SS pipe either, would just have to use a reducer on one end if keeping the stock radiator.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Well finally time for another small update. This is a :icon_bigg one for me at that. I was helping a friend today on his swap (another MKIII / 1uz swap) and went an borrowed a bare block and head form another friend to test fit the driver side header being that I was worrind about it not clearing the steering shaft being that the primaries were figures and assembles on my engine while bolted to the stand and only going by some somewhat vague dimensions that I could take to referance the steering shaft location. To my surprise :aigo:, there is a ton of room as you can see in the pics below. Speeking of which, as usuall, I never think to bring my camera and had to rely on my phone so sorry that they are not the greatest of quality.

Attachments

• Header01.jpg
    Header01.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Header02.jpg
    Header02.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Header03.jpg
    Header03.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 77

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Well, It looks like the swap/project will be put on the back burner yet again cause I got laid off form work yesterday (fucking shitty economy)....

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Well a bit of a small update despite not having extra money to spend (only because I had the material at the house... Just some more header work on the left side header (almost done). I had to stop though cause I didn't have any 1.875 straight stainless pipe felt over to joint the two secondariers together. All of the 2 into 1 collectors are done though. Enjoy the shitty pictures cause as usual, I forgot to bring the cameral.... I need to get another one a velcro it to the motor (lol) so that way its always there when Im working on it or something for it....

Just a couple of pics of cutting the pieces for the 2 into 1 collectors.
p1124143_1.jpg

p1124143_2.jpg

A few shots of the 2 into 1 collectors welded and waiting to have the ends cut off.
p1124143_3.jpg

p1124143_4.jpg

p1124143_5.jpg

p1124143_6.jpg

p1124143_7.jpg

And a couple shots of the left header at its current state of completion.
p1124143_8.jpg

p1124143_9.jpg

p1124143_10.jpg

p1124143_11.jpg

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
These headers are looking very nice. You have me torn between going the turbo route or sticking with either a SC setup or all motor setup just so I can get a set of these. Will you be making them for the rest of us that have gone the 1UZ route? Any idea on price yet? I need to figure out if these will even fit my setup.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
milisakeracing;1124465 said:
These headers are looking very nice. You have me torn between going the turbo route or sticking with either a SC setup or all motor setup just so I can get a set of these. Will you be making them for the rest of us that have gone the 1UZ route? Any idea on price yet? I need to figure out if these will even fit my setup.

Mike, I wasnt planning on making anymore to be honest. These are really designed for an otherwise just about stock all motor set up. Basically they are a compromise that should give a all around stronger and flatter torque curve which would make for an all around better street engine. These probably will not support enough flow for a supercharger setup. Plus from what Ive seen Supercharger setups usually tend to fair better with a 4 into 1 design..... Im getting ready to start building a set of 4 into 1's for Jake's car in the next week or two (when ever he gets all the material. Those I might make up jigs for so they could be reproduced at a later time especially if we find out that the will fit SC400's also which I think they will.. Jakes car is going to be supercharged here in the pretty near future or atleast thats the word.. I on the other hand still have the TT idea chillin in the back of my head and Im sure that not before long I will be pulling those headers off and making the car TT.