Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
theKnifeArtist said:
the only problem i have with doing that is budget, tools, time, and location. heh.
What are you going to do if your temp HG fix only leads to a bigger problem, like rodknock, later down the line? It would be better to find some way to do it right than roll the dice and have to definately pull your motor for rebuild later and pay more money in the end.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Drain oil.

Do your HG Job.

Leave the spark plugs out, we don't want compression.

Fill it up with oil.

Crank the engine on your starter for 5-10 seconds (until you see oil pressure on the gauge), a few times.

Drain oil, with any possible contaminants washed out of your oil system.

Fill it up with oil.

Crank the engine on your starter for 5-10 seconds, a few times.

Replace spark plugs.

Drive.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
thanks baboon that really cleared it up, and joezee, i see where you're comming from, but i'm just going to have to take my chances on this one and do it this way. trust me, i'm itching to do a full rebuild, but right now i just can't allow it, and thats why i started this thread..to get more knowledge and to better my chances.
plus i gotta figure out what to do with my auto tranny thats slipping really bad after i get done with this.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you have not seen this, it's a good read for what you are doing:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38956

Don't forget the RTV at the top of the front plate per the TRSM locations...you'll have an oil leak if you do.

Mrbaboon is telling you to do the same thing as I did...make very sure there is no coolant left in your oil...none, zero. You can use a cheap oil for this...the Wal-Mart SuperTech line will work fine. Get the lowest viscosity oil they make for the flush. I would even go a step further, run the 2nd fill (use SuperTech oil & filter) 500 miles or so...then change it again. This time use a Wix/PureOne filter and a quality oil.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Not to be offensive, but it doesn't sound like you have read through the process in the TSRM before. I highly suggest reading it all the way through before you start so you know what you're in for.

This was judged by your not knowing what a 10mm hex socket was for. (Head bolts)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Running 16psi on a 57 trim upgraded CT26, @ 212k miles on the motor. Head gasket had about 21k of those miles.

That said, the rings in the worn motor let go, before the FelPro + ARP studs @ 103lbs/ft (used 30wt oil)

You *MUST* check your head and deck for flatness. Nothing else matters, until that is done!

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
steven89 said:
I have a question, how much boost can a stock HG and ARP studs handle?

The stock headgasket can hold more than what fuel cut allows. I have been running on 15 psi for 8 months and have raced the engine more then 15 times. Compression is still normal, no symptoms of a BHG. Hopefully the T4 doesn't kill it when I swap it in this springbreak though. haha. :evil2:

The key here is to install ARP "STUDS" correctly. My first OEM hg blew up at 11 psi because I didn't properly install the studs and they loosed up to 40 lbs. Second one I put in, the studs were installed correctly, but the timing plate cover was too high up and I didn't put any sealant between the cover and block, so it started leaking oil.

The last time I did the headgasket, everything went down perfect BESIDES maybe I got tired of paying the dealership $100 ($200 down the drain :nono: ) for a oem gasket and bought a $30 ebay headgasket. Unlike what most people assume, the ebay gasket is not that bad. It's equivalent to what the build quality of the OEM gasket is IMO. Has the graphite like covering and a metal porus internal sheet.

A lot of people think the OEM style gasket is weak because most people here are over boosting engines with 150k miles which of course will blow the original headgasket. Or are overboosting on a stock headgasket replacement with original head bolts, crappy head bolts in general, and a crappy prep job.

Overall message, stock headgasket will hold what the stock turbo can throw at it, up until my tested 15 psi anyway.

I will let you guys know how the "ebay" gasket holds up to the T4. :evil2:

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
:aigo: YOU WANT TO DRAIN THE COOLANT FIRST!

Mrbaboon said:
Drain oil.

Do your HG Job.

Leave the spark plugs out, we don't want compression.

Fill it up with oil.

Crank the engine on your starter for 5-10 seconds (until you see oil pressure on the gauge), a few times.

Drain oil, with any possible contaminants washed out of your oil system.

Fill it up with oil.

Crank the engine on your starter for 5-10 seconds, a few times.

Replace spark plugs.

Drive.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so i got some stuff done, all i gotta do is take the exhaust manifold off and the head'll be off. it's just taking me a while cuz of tools time and just yesterday that damn biotch at the front desk told me i cant work on my car in the complex, so i'll be on night duty when i'm workin on it. every part that comes out is getting inspected, cleaned/painted..new gaskets.wooOo..cant wait to finish.

question:
Would getting a headgasket at my local parts store which would probably be felpro be a good idea? are there any bad composite headgaskets?
should i clean my injectors while i have them out? with what? they don't look clogged

i'll have more questions in a bit.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
theKnifeArtist said:
so i got some stuff done, all i gotta do is take the exhaust manifold off and the head'll be off. it's just taking me a while cuz of tools time and just yesterday that damn biotch at the front desk told me i cant work on my car in the complex, so i'll be on night duty when i'm workin on it. every part that comes out is getting inspected, cleaned/painted..new gaskets.wooOo..cant wait to finish.

question:
Would getting a headgasket at my local parts store which would probably be felpro be a good idea? are there any bad composite headgaskets?
should i clean my injectors while i have them out? with what? they don't look clogged
i'll have more questions in a bit.

YES!!!! Clean and flow test. Replace/rebuild any that are not in spec.

badboysupra

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
Vallejo, Ca.
man, im about to do a HG job on my car as well :p

I think I'll be using Ishino complete engine gasket set from www.autopartswarehouse.com since they got good prices. or I might just use a factory Toyota HG, then use the Ishino head gasket set. either way, I wont be using a MHG since that Im not going to re-surface the block. my HG problem is only a small leak and its not TOTALLY BLOWN yet. plus my car is not DD, so it stays in the garage.

anywayz, theres alot of good info around here and also good luck to those who will be replacing their HG's!!

aite, peace.

Subcept

Learning
Mar 18, 2007
Seattle
Best place to order / buy locally the ARP studs? I'm probably going to get them already cut so I don't fuck up the heat treating by cutting them myself.

I'm not in a hurry, bu I need to order them soon, head is going to be machined this weekend.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
theKnifeArtist said:
what do i clean it with? would carb cleaner be a nono?

Cleaning injectors takes specialized equipment...carb cleaner is not going to do a very good job. You should be able to find someone locally that can do it...typically it costs $15-20 per injector.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
i can't find Adjuster's thread with paper gasket info. looks like he only deals with MHGs from what i'm seein'.
so only OEM Toyota Head Gasket, right? can i get it online somewhere? or only at the stealership? how much do they run?

debrucer said:
I have built two cars in a parking lot; although, both were in the daylight, well, typically... there was a little night work occasionally. I certainly don't envy you.
what?

Last edited: