Why the MKIII?

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
I'm just wanting to understand what made you fall in love with the older MKIII supra. Considering the drop in price for MKIV TT's and the typical amount of $$ spend in alot of MKIII's to get 3-400whp and to replace things, you could have just purchased a MKIV and had so much more.. I'm curious.

Is it that you can have a Supra for 1-3 grand?

You like the old boxy 80s styling and interior?

For some reason you think the 7m is a good motor?

Enlighten me

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
why do you like the sc ric?

personally love the styling.. interior is dated, but isn't bad.. I love these style cars (fc rx7, 300zx, 240 etc)..

7m isn't a bad motor, just isn't the best..

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
tissimo said:
why do you like the sc ric?

I used to watch them race on TV in a road race series years ago agenst mostly american cars, and it did quite well. It fit the bill for what I was looking for. A RWD car with a huge aftermarket that can make ALOT of HP without spending endless money into things like rods, pistons, etc. I did not want a MKIV because I wasn't going after a name or looks, I just wanted the platform. The SC300 was a wayy cheaper base car to work with. When i bought this car, I bought the 1JZ-GTE the same day and got to work shortly after.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
When I was shopping around for a good project car I found my supra for 400 bucks and I just couldn't turn it down.

I love the front end on the 89s with a lip its pure sex to me, and something about the body lines of this car and the retro high tech interior that made me fall in love with it.

Don't get me wrong If I had the chance to get an Mark 4 I would but I only spent about a total of 4 grand on my car getting some what it up to my standards.

And yes I do believe when built right the 7m is a good motor but after building mine and seeing how the price has dropped I would put a 2jz in my next build.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Ric said:
It fit the bill for what I was looking for. A RWD car with a huge aftermarket that can make ALOT of HP without spending endless money into things like rods, pistons, etc. I did not want a MKIV because I wasn't going after a name or looks, I just wanted the platform. The SC300 was a wayy cheaper base car to work with.
I would assume thats teh same for nearly everyone here..

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
tissimo said:
I would assume thats teh same for nearly everyone here..

Probably, but with a MKIII it just seems like there is way more maintaince to work with being that its an older car.

I'd love to get a MKIII with a z20 Soarer front end conversion, but the $$ needed on an 80's car just to fix all the problems would cost too much.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Ric said:
Probably, but with a MKIII it just seems like there is way more maintaince to work with being that its an older car.

I'd love to get a MKIII with a z20 Soarer front end conversion, but the $$ needed on an 80's car just to fix all the problems would cost too much.
yea any old car will have maintaince... get one thats well taken care of and there would be less.. but the car will cost more..

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
its not as bad as yur making it out to be...

i owned a 1G FWD DSM and i seen tissimo's Blue supra back before it even had an engine in it, in his Sig on a local board and i loved the car and talked to him at the next weekly meet. thats how we met the first time is because of his Heartless supra HAHAHAHA.

i remember to this day that almost 4 years ago i was over at tissimo's house when he had the 7M finally and he showed me a certain video..... it was Dan McBoost's video with the beginning theme from Resident Evil and i fell in love. the video was sick the car looked sick and it was boosted and RWD. THATS when i got into performance stuff instead of sound systems and visual effects.

i love the MKIII and the reason i WONT buy a MKIV is because they aren't worth the amount people are selling them for. I'll just swap in my 2JZ single it with 600whp+ and be happy!!!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i love the body style, my brother had the mkiv while i had the 86.5, then a 1991 then my 89' hehe :) the SC i dont like the rear end... thats why i opted for an ls400

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
the SC is just to Fat for me. it doesn't LOOK sporty. they are nice cars but not to make a fast sports car out of.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
The Reaper said:
the SC is just to Fat for me. it doesn't LOOK sporty. they are nice cars but not to make a fast sports car out of.

Yeah, I never claimed to like the styling either. The interior makes no sence. Im 6'1 and still have to reach to turn the radio knobs. It's a good base for a autoX or drag car tho.. they are proven in both fields.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
The Reaper said:
true just not a fan of baller looking cars

stock 1J 5speed and make it a DD car then its tight

Yeah my wife DD'd my 93 SC with a stock 1jz auto for a year. She said if it was 5spd she'd have kept it forever. Most reliable car i've ever owned. Out of the 1+ years of daily driving 50mi round trip in stop and go traffic every day, all it ever needed was just oil changes. Cruise, A/C, everything worked mint. Averaged 23mpg.

We sold that for a E36 vert 5spd 325 bimmer. It's half the car the SC was, but its a vert and 5spd and very enjoyable. I love to drive it when I get a chance.

Frozentide

TRD-4-LIFE!!!
Mar 15, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
NA86.5 said:
Because its a SUPRA baby lol:biglaugh:

HELLS YEA!!! I LOVE the retro style!!!!!! Hence my 86.5 two tone brown... the most retro of stock paint jobs!!

I'm already looking into getting a project car (since my Supra is almost perfect) and I'm looking at a 90-91 Corolla GT-S. Why? Because I love the 80's boxy styling on it!!!

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
I hate to think what you think of Mk2s then :dunno: MkIVs are great and all, but most are horrendously overpriced for the condition.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Is it that you can have a Supra for 1-3 grand? No, I paid about 5 times that much for my 92.

You like the old boxy 80s styling and interior? TO most of us here, it doesn't look old and boxy. But lean and mean. Not bubbly and fat like the MK4.

For some reason you think the 7m is a good motor? It is a good motor. Just one flaw- the headgasket. Other than that, I could go on and on about how great this motor is to mod. 511rwhp on stock internals on mine. Over 3 years at 400+rwhp.

If you think an MK4 is great because you can get more power for less money, then you are dead wrong. The MK3 can be had for extremely cheap, and can be modded fairly cheap too. The $1100 bolt-on SP61GT turbo with supporting mods is way to much power for any BPU MK4 to handle. Ask me how I know?