Who all has a beater for the mileage?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Poodles said:
Geo Metro FTW

My mom drives one, and I took it down to austin (about 350 miles) on a half tank of gas...

tank is ONLY 8 gallons!!!

Can it be fun? Sure as hell, get some nice wheels and tires on it, build the engine (teamswift forums for this kinda info) and I bet you'll piss of quite a few people out there...

my beater? my supra is my DD, and when it's down I borrow other vehicles...
not bad on reliability too right?

pimped out geo metro!

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
94 altima 5speed.. black with tan cloth interior.. ~180k miles, runs great. Got it for $1200, put on a set of bridgestone potenza g009's and aligned it. had to put on new front pads n rotors for inspection (wagner edge pads are nice) waxed it up... had 2 injectors go (at different times) that i had to replace so i did the fuel filter too. ~30 mpg highway.. 24-26 around town. cant beat it.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Kai said:
I do have rod knock - when its not rod knocky though - i drive it - having more than 1 car is unnecessary and generally defeats any savings you gain through added mileage. Just means more insurance, more road tax, more maintainance, tyres etc.

The cost of owning a Supra and a beater can, in many cases, be cheaper than having a Supra as an only means of transportation. Especially in the cases of those with longer commutes to work.

novaboy009

Aug 13, 2007
Pittsburgh
I work 5/8's of a mile from my house. When the Supra is down, I take the drag car. When the drag car and the Supra are down, I walk. But, knock on wood, the Supra has not failed me once since May.

Kev

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
OneJoeZee said:
The cost of owning a Supra and a beater can, in many cases, be cheaper than having a Supra as an only means of transportation. Especially in the cases of those with longer commutes to work.

Every time I work on the supra a part has to be ordered(some random hose thats 20 years old). Noone ever stocks the parts so it takes time to get them, I got sick of having no car while waiting on parts lol.

I got a jeep as a DD, its nice being able to tear the supra down and not worry about how Im getting to work. I can take my time replace/order all the odd ball parts. On top of that I can drive through construction without worrying about killing the supra, seeing as all the roads are under construction thats a huge plus.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
Kai said:
Heh - my renewal for this year was £340 TPFT, if i wanted to add another car it'd be nearly doubled. And i'd still have to shell out for more road tax...
Move to the U.S OF A.......:biglaugh:

We don't have top gear or the stig and we don't have narrow roads. We don't have pub's in every corner. lol
but it's the best :love:

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
For the record of the topic, I drove my NA supra DD, But now i have an 86, 2.8v6 camaro. Its no powerhouse and it doesnt get that good of mileage(18-20 average tops, 25 ish highway), but its easy to diagnose and maintain and parts are cheap. And it still has a good bit of fun factor. Will still spin wheels, and is at least faster than the non vtec hondas. It handles well too, on par or better than a mk3 in similar condition. Cant wait to get another supra tho!

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Figit, my Geo may put down 35 HP to the wheels if I'm lucky. The four bangers can be made pretty quick with a turbo kit, so can the 3 bangers too as there are kits out there for both, not to mention that the ealier 3 bangers came turbo'd from the factory...

Joe, about $1300.00

Teamswift is the forum I go to for tech info on that car, they have links to a few other sites where you can have the head professionally built for high comp. (12:1 and up), turbo kits for both G10 and G13a and b motors, suspension shit, etc.

Gut the car, turbo it = pissing off people by beating them in cars making 5 times more power than yours ;).

popemobile

Yes I do own a turbo
Dec 10, 2005
Scott, La
www.cardomain.com
MKIV
White
Black leather
Hard Top
Single turbo
Manual

Or to Supra Folks
2002 Golf TDI, 5 speed, White, Black Leather interior, Neuspeed springs, Bilsteen Struts, Best tank was 58 mpg, but "normal" mileage for me is 47mpg with the worst tank being 40mpg 90 hp stock with plenty of torque

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
starscream5000 said:
Figit, my Geo may put down 35 HP to the wheels if I'm lucky. The four bangers can be made pretty quick with a turbo kit, so can the 3 bangers too as there are kits out there for both, not to mention that the ealier 3 bangers came turbo'd from the factory...

haha 35hp. nice! i find it odd that motorbikes often have more HP...

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Figit090 said:
haha 35hp. nice! i find it odd that motorbikes often have more HP...

my 500cc honda interceptor has(edit: HAD) 75hp...now it has none because the carbs are seized. It was supposed to get 30-40mpg too!

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Cadillac Eldorado repping the big Northstar V8. :biglaugh:

Unfortunately, this "beater" does not serve as getting better gas mileage than my Supra...They are about the same. :cry:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Sawbladz said:
Beater is in front of Supra in sig. In the city she is ~24 mpg and ~30 on the highway. The blower hurts the mileage if you are having any fun. It's reliable and comfortable and that's all that matters.

If I were looking for a beater on a budget I would go for an 80's Celica. They have the rear wheel drive fun with the 4 cylinder economy. And when you get bored the 7M or 1J fits in there too.:)

EDIT: this is what I would buy... http://toronto.craigslist.ca/car/460818991.html
Heh Bob has too many mk2's.
Oh and supra is my dd until winter. then i just usually walk places or borrow parents cars. They don't really do stuff at night when i need to drive anyway.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
My canadian 89 Celica GT 5 speed hatch, I love it. somewhere around 30mpg, 135hp (no ac... it didnt come with it.. ) And some rust. I cant complain $700, GREAT investment.