What are you reading?

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Supracentral;1128280 said:
I've read them both. Damned shame the movie sucked so bad.

Yeah, the movie was a joke. Everyone knows - elves are tall, skinny, and have pointy ears, and dwarves are short, stocky and have long beards....if the producers of the movie couldn't get that right, then they need to just give up on their career choice.

The third book, Brisingr, comes out September 20th :D

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
DsBetterHalf;1128392 said:
Yeah, the movie was a joke. Everyone knows - elves are tall, skinny, and have pointy ears, and dwarves are short, stocky and have long beards....if the producers of the movie couldn't get that right, then they need to just give up on their career choice.

aren't they making a 2nd movie tho?...

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
DsBetterHalf;1128392 said:

My wife bought the movie quite awhile ago and we started watching it.
She said there was something about it - she couldn't put her finger on it - but there was something she didn't like.
The movie annoyed us both, just in different ways. I know people rave about how amazing it was that the Eragon series was written by a kid. What's more amazing is that it seems like it was written by a kid who liked dragons and Star Wars, and that kid's publisher hasn't come under a lawsuit.
It clicked.
She doesn't like Star Wars.
I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I wasn't very amused.
If you didn't catch it, there are many similarities. I don't know about the books, but the movie had me wondering, dragons and old-world setting aside, why George Lucas wasn't collecting royalties out the ass.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
There was nothing "revolutionary" about Star Wars. Other than the above average special effects, it's a standard formulaic fairy tale.

What I'm dreading is when they try to turn Stephen King's Dark Tower series into a movie. They will most certainly fuck that up..

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Supracentral;1128716 said:
There was nothing "revolutionary" about Star Wars. Other than the above average special effects, it's a standard formulaic fairy tale.

What I'm dreading is when they try to turn Stephen King's Dark Tower series into a movie. They will most certainly fuck that up..

OMG they are doing that? Why can't Hollywood leave anything good alone? Destined for ruin..

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I read the Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) book "The Long Walk" recently.... pretty disturbing

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
"The Duchess" by Amanda Foreman.

I didn't realize until I started reading it that it is a true biography, but it is very good. I like to read the book before I see a movie :)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Just finished:

The Scourge of God: A Novel of the Change (Change Series) by S.M. Stirling

Currently:

Reengineering the Corporation: A Manifesto for Business Revolution by Michael Hammer & James Champy

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
David Baldacci - Stone Cold. Have slowly been making my way through all his novels. If I start reading one of his books, I literally can't put it down until I am done!!!!!

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Tanya;1159237 said:
I read the Stephen King (as Richard Bachman) book "The Long Walk" recently.... pretty disturbing
IJ.;1159326 said:
Brilliant book T :)

Agreed. One of my favs.

Tanya:
Did you read 'Running Man' yet? I can only recommend it...

IJ:
Desperation, eh? I always loved Desperation cos it has such a surprising beginning... you know, when they drive by that sign and eventually when they ride in the cop car and the cop does his own version of the miranda warning... it's a good story in general. I like how 'Regulators' is kinda the same but different, lol.
Did you read 'Rage' as well, IJ? You seem to like Bachman/King... :biglaugh: