Vid of my engine running / also whats the sound?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
my car makes a similar sound, but you can hear it at startup. and throughout the accel. range

(can you hear yours when you first start it up? i cant really tell that elec fan is loud :))

Last edited:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
So what's happening with this, Jimi?
Did you send the engine back to Jarco? I have a feeling they're a pretty stand-up company, they seem to be, anyway. I have not done any business with them.

This time, be real persistent about the bearing brand they're about to use. ;)

:EDIT: nvm. checked your build thread. mail order rebuilds.. lol. still be persistent about what brand of bearing they're gonna use! Hope it works out for ya, bud.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jimi: Just about anything EXCEPT King aluminium bearings......

If everything is right with the lubrication system the bearings should only ever touch the crank on a cold start so they're not as hyper critical as people believe.

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
I had the same sound for about 3000 miles... then one day it got really loud... try and pull the spark plugs and if it goes away when you pull one of the cyclinders you will instantly know... I did and it lead me to the conclusion :(

mrsoup

Jan 24, 2006
LONDON
hi dude thats rod knock . bet they didnt clean out the crank shaft or take out the oil gallery plugs ... ...

ask me how i know

ps did you prim the oil pump and use a new o ring on the screen flange ?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Yeah I primed it, and everything is new.

I just got off the phone with them and they said they pulled the bearings and didn't find any that were bad. Tomorrow they said they will pull the head off and see if they can find whats up.

I guess a bad wrist pin, or improperly sized piston? But we will see. Hopefully they're not trying to pull something over on me...........But they don't seem to be the type to do that.

n2fishin69

Work-a-holic
Jan 25, 2006
Way down South, in Dixie
My 86.5 Supra has the exact same noise and symptoms! I am in the process now of pulling the engine because I suspect rod knock. Sunday, I was taking the flywheel bolts off and one of them came off with very little effort.
I am beginning to wonder if I should put everything back together now. I got this car very cheap. They had recently had the engine rebuilt and this noise started within a week.

N2fishin69
Satsuma, AL

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
n2fishin69 said:
My 86.5 Supra has the exact same noise and symptoms! I am in the process now of pulling the engine because I suspect rod knock. Sunday, I was taking the flywheel bolts off and one of them came off with very little effort.

I would bet that is your problem!

927mgtepat said:
Jim, I hope everything works out for you. What Brand TB are you running?

I replied to your thread before seeing this, but yeah, its a 70mm Professional Products Power tb for a 5.0 stang.