Vid of my engine running / also whats the sound?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well I tried pushing the clutch in and revving it, no change.

The crank pulley is torqued well into the 200s, my torque wrench goes up to 150, it clicked right away, so I used a breaker bar with pipe and torqued that as hard as I could.

It's not the alt, the sound isn't coming from there, it was quiet on the alt and bracket with the stethoscope.

PorterzSupra said:
Hey, is that a 2JZ manifold on a 7MGTE motor...??

Look at my build thread (link in sig) that will explain the intake.

siman said:
GET THOSE BREATHERS OFF YOUR VALVE COVERS AND PUT ON A CATCH CAN.

Piston slap maybe?

-Jonathan

Yeah they are coming off, once I get my catch.

I was thinking maybe slap, but I've never heard slap before so I don't know. The motor was built by Jarco, they had to bore it out .040 over and put in over sized pistons (stock style pistons). They also had to grind the crank and use thicker bearings.

I took it for a small drive today to see what would happen, After the motor got fully warm, it seemed to get a little louder. But I really don't know what to think, there are no good shops close by, so I may drive it to the dealer to see what they say. I hate dealers but it's the only thing remotely close to me.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Hey before you get all worried and freakn out... just a thought that is some what easy to do.

Take the cam covers off.

Inspec the cams for any pucks being spit.

If there aren't any, check to make sure no retainers came off the springs.

Last, empty the oil and check to make sure there aren't any shavings in the oil and or fine metal dust.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I haven't heard/seen the vid as it's a QT file but you might want to try unclipping/reclipping the Injectors one at a time to see if you can isolate the cylinder.

This will tell you a few things which cylinder it is and if the clatter stops it points to rod knock.

If the crank was cut past 2nd undersize then it's possible it's scuffed a bearing.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok, I just pulled the valve covers off, and nothing was out of place. And there were no signs of scaring or dry running. All puck and shims looked good.
With the covers off I turned it over by hand, I heard the noise on the first rotation (dry turn I guess) every time it would start to turn, i would hear it (not as loud as when running). It was not coming from the valve train, and I could not feel it in the ratchet. After the first rotation, it stopped making the sound.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
This just happened to another buddy of mine on a fresh rebuild. Sounds the same, and seems to happen at the same points in the throttle response, too.

You'll need a buddy.

Put a wrench on the front main pulley bolt and put your buddy on the wrench. Slide under the car and pull off one of the inspection plates on the tranny. Shine a flashlight in there, put it in neutral and have your buddy crank the engine a bit.

Betcha the flywheel slops back and forth, as the bolts on it are loose and likely getting looser by the minute.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks Grim I'll have to check that tomorrow also. I used lock tight on the bolts. Is this a problem from it being an aluminum flywheel, needing to be heat cycled? (This is my first AL flywheel.)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No idea what caused it, I'm afraid. it was a PITA to diagnose, especially as we were at a Supra meet a good 6 hour drive away from home.

Luckily a local Supra driver loaned us the use of his driveway - my buddy pulled the tranny, fixed it, and bolted it back in the very next day, then drove home.

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
**** I have the EXACT same noise and come to think of it I just had a shop put a new stage 3 clutch in about a month ago hmmmm... it dont really sound like the flywheel the sound is clearly coming from the engine besides there would probably be some sort of vibration if it was the flywheel when you reved the motor, I have had that happen and it will vibrate the seats ****

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok, I went out and did some more trouble shooting today.

I took the inspection plate off the trany to see if there was slop in the flywheel, nope, it moved right along with the crank, no slop.

While I was doing this I could hear the clank, so I put it in gear. With the breaker bar I would apply pressure (to the crank pulley bolt) I could clearly hear the sound. So I had someone on the breaker bar as I went around with the stethoscope to listen. I started at the trany, not to noticeable on the bell housing, I put the stethoscope on the pressure plate, (if it was the fly, I would for sure hear it), nope, I could barely hear it again.

So I put the stethoscope on the oil pan.......LOUD CLANK, very noticeable, the loudest spot by far.

So it is definitely coming from inside the crack case. So the only way to pin point it is to pull the engine :wtc: