Vid of my engine running / also whats the sound?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If they cut it 2nd under or smaller this is under the Toyota hardening add to this if it was built tight and they didn't use a good moly assembly lube it could have scuffed a bearing on the first startup.

Each time it cold starts a bit more bearing material is transferred to the crank as the crank is soft enough for it to stick and so on until you get RK....

This is just my theory there may be another explanation but having read many of these sort of posts over the last couple of years they all seem to have these points in common!

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
My engine has 140K and I have the same noise, just started the past week, its not only if somone puts it together wrong mine happened for another unknown reason!!

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
^^^^Yeah, well I could live with that 140k before having problems. Not even 5 miles and shes probably toast.

Are you sure you were not running low on oil, thats what normally causes bearing failure?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Also, when I drain my oil I will be looking for metal, and dragging the oil draining container with a magnet to find any metal.
If I find metal in the oil, does this mean the fresh rebuilt turbo is toast? Or would the filter catch all it? I just need to know so I can bring that up when I contact the engine company.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Any metal you'll find should be non ferrous at this stage (I'd hope it's not down to the backing plate of the bearing so soon)

Unless the Oil Filter's really blocked and bypassing it should have caught it all before it's found it's way into the Turbo!

Did they mention which brand bearings were used?

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
No they wouldn't tell me the brands on the parts, I asked (mainly about the pistons) But they just said "OEM quality".......um yeah, now it seems I should have been more persistent.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
thats the odd thing about supras. almost sounds like a valve but it comes from the bottom end. esp since you heard the sound in the oil pan. did you ever pull the inj clips or a plug wire at the coil to determine if the sound goes away or reduces? that would def be my next step. altho hearing the clunk by turning the motor that def doesnt sound good. id try to see if you can isolate it to a particular cyl.

good luck

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Thanks guys, but just in case you didn't read the whole thread (I know its long) here is a recap.

With it running:
I went around the engine with a stethoscope and could not pin point the sound. It did seem louder on the exhaust side of the engine, I could even here it in the waste gate actuator So it's just resonating, the weird thing is, I can't hear it in the valve covers.

Ok, I just pulled the valve covers off, and nothing was out of place. And there were no signs of scaring or dry running. All puck and shims looked good.
With the covers off I turned it over by hand, I heard the noise on the first rotation (dry turn I guess) every time it would start to turn, i would hear it (not as loud as when running). It was not coming from the valve train

Ok, I went out and did some more trouble shooting today.

I took the inspection plate off the trany to see if there was slop in the flywheel, nope, it moved right along with the crank, no slop.

While I was doing this I could hear the clank, so I put it in gear. With the breaker bar I would apply pressure (to the crank pulley bolt) I could clearly hear the sound. So I had someone on the breaker bar as I went around with the stethoscope to listen. I started at the trany, not to noticeable on the bell housing, I put the stethoscope on the pressure plate, (if it was the fly, I would for sure hear it), nope, I could barely hear it again.

So I put the stethoscope on the oil pan.......LOUD CLANK, very noticeable, the loudest spot by far.

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
dbsupra90 said:
thats the odd thing about supras. almost sounds like a valve but it comes from the bottom end. esp since you heard the sound in the oil pan. did you ever pull the inj clips or a plug wire at the coil to determine if the sound goes away or reduces? that would def be my next step. altho hearing the clunk by turning the motor that def doesnt sound good. id try to see if you can isolate it to a particular cyl.

good luck

Yeah I have yet to restart it, I did pull the plugs, and it seem to be louder coming from #6. But it's hard to tell

N

NDBoost

ive got a clanking sound coming from my motor, just happened after i swapped the turbo's out too. Im in stage 1 of 3 (denial), acceptance comes when i get a garage and some free money to buy a used block to rebuild.

*crosses fingers* supra just has to last until then.