Value of Supras

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
2543arvin said:
nd I know when I bought my 89, production numbers were the last of my thoughts. I may be the only member that didnt see that as a factor of price but I doubt it.

Then a 92 just isn't for you. There would be no reason for you to buy one if production year and rarity did not matter to you. And if that is true, you wouldn't be in the market shopping for a 92 anyway. So anyone who cared about the rarity of a 91-92 would still be the main market.

To some people, it's worth it.

I'll never buy another pre-91 Supra again.

Also, whether someone decides to keep the car forever does not invalidate its value.

People with 91-92s bought them for a reason

This isn't a shot at you but plenty of MK3 people and perspective owners are cheap. Alot of people would never pay the price that a clean 92 carries. They would just say something like, "I could get an 89 for 2000-3000 less." Well cool, and that's what they do. Then the 92 is still left for someone who is willing and wants to pay for it.

91-92 Supras don't move as fast as earlier years. My car was posted for at least 2-3 months before I even considered it. The price could have been higher but the seller really wanted to move the car. I got a pretty good deal but that doesn't mean he was willing to lower the price to that of a similar 89 or 90. I paid $8000 for my car and that was a steal as far as I'm concerned. Alot of people would look at paying 8000 for an MK3 as insanity. If I were to sell my car, I'd keep it listed with a 5 digit number for as long as it takes to move.

If you have a 92, get in an accident and insurance decides to total your car and find a replacement, what happens? They don't go look for an 89. They look for a 92. If they can't find one, then they compensate you for the loss of your rare car and not being able to replace it. I should know. I'm dealing an accident and insurance right now.

I could go on autotrader and ebay all day long and find 89s and 90s out the ass.

Again, 1100 vs 14,000. Significantly lower production numbers, later(and last) year, more sought after options increase the value. This isn't just specific to Supras.

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama

mkthree92

Supramania Contributor
Jan 21, 2007
AL
Just to add, the production number of the 92 Supras are the second lowest of any Supra (MKIII or MKIV). The only one less was the 96 Supra which all were AT's. For the was 1,193 92 Supra's produced- who knows how many of these are still out there and even less so working, in good condition.

And like it has been said, someone who justs wants a MK3 Supra is probably not going to care to pay the difference for a 91 or 92 unless they are pretty familiar with them to begin with. To some it matters, others it doesn't. All I know is if I got a 2nd Supra, I'd love it to be another 92 (probably black).

And as far as the value of all MK3's, I hope I see the trend continue because these cars are worth a lot more than they list at.

Ds650rida: The one you're thinking about was probably the Garnet Red Pearl that jugodegolf bought. That color was only offered on 92's and it is hot.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Ds650rida said:
a while ago someone on here was selling a burgandy mind condition 92 turbo, bone stock but had 5 speed swap. he asked for 7000 and im pretty sure he got that much if not, not too much off. If i remember correctly, i'll try and find a link for the forsale thread.

Ding, Ding!
p799724_1.jpg

Would be tough call if I ever had to sell one. 89w/2jz or the 92.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
OneJoeZee said:

Is that just because they are rare, or because they are genuinely better cars?

The first supra I went to look at was a 92 NA auto in a ruff condition and had obviously been sitting a while. The guy basically wanted £2000, which is more or less twice the price of a older manual turbo in a better condition, and about 4 times as much as a older NA auto in a similar condition. If it is just a matter of production numbers, I find it hard to justify spending the extra cash on the 92 just so you can have a "K" on the registration plate instead of a "G"...

Saying that though, I do regret not jumping on that cheap 92 I found, but only for the reason that I know that there is one less 92 on the road. But you live and learn as they say...

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
DonS1mpson said:
Is that just because they are rare, or because they are genuinely better cars?

The first supra I went to look at was a 92 NA auto in a ruff condition and had obviously been sitting a while. The guy basically wanted £2000, which is more or less twice the price of a older manual turbo in a better condition, and about 4 times as much as a older NA auto in a similar condition. If it is just a matter of production numbers, I find it hard to justify spending the extra cash on the 92 just so you can have a "K" on the registration plate instead of a "G"...

Saying that though, I do regret not jumping on that cheap 92 I found, but only for the reason that I know that there is one less 92 on the road. But you live and learn as they say...

I didn't just buy mine for the "K", I love clean mk3 the 92 is a added bonus.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
jugodegolf said:
I didn't just buy mine for the "K", I love clean mk3 the 92 is a added bonus.

But that's what I'm getting at, What makes them the "ultimate mk3"?

Is it Just the limited production run?

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
DonS1mpson said:
But that's what I'm getting at, What makes them the "ultimate mk3"?

Is it Just the limited production run?

Probably 10 years ago a friend clued me in to the production #'s. My 92 is actually the first one I have seen for sale. Btw how many do we have here on the forums: Tissimo, OneJoeZee, mmm can't think of many others off top of my head.

Ultimate Mk3 = probably like my 89 that I have had for so long. Like I said before keep 'em washed, waxed, and maintained.

pic of mine in 05 before katrina. (I did redo engine bay though, but exterior was pretty mint)
p799744_1.jpg

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
DonS1mpson said:
92's are that rare? :eek:

So... If I passed on a deal to buy a rust free 92 turbo with seized bottom end and shadow gray interior in order to buy a slightly rusty running 88 N/A, how much of an idiot would I be?

I big one.. lol

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
OneJoeZee said:
Then a 92 just isn't for you. There would be no reason for you to buy one if production year and rarity did not matter to you. And if that is true, you wouldn't be in the market shopping for a 92 anyway. So anyone who cared about the rarity of a 91-92 would still be the main market.

Also, whether someone decides to keep the car forever does not invalidate its value.

This isn't a shot at you but plenty of MK3 people and perspective owners are cheap. Alot of people would never pay the price that a clean 92 carries. They would just say something like, "I could get an 89 for 2000-3000 less." Well cool, and that's what they do. Then the 92 is still left for someone who is willing and wants to pay for it.

91-92 Supras don't move as fast as earlier years. My car was posted for at least 2-3 months before I even considered it. The price could have been higher but the seller really wanted to move the car. I got a pretty good deal but that doesn't mean he was willing to lower the price to that of a similar 89 or 90. I paid $8000 for my car and that was a steal as far as I'm concerned. Alot of people would look at paying 8000 for an MK3 as insanity. If I were to sell my car, I'd keep it listed with a 5 digit number for as long as it takes to move.

If you have a 92, get in an accident and insurance decides to total your car and find a replacement, what happens? They don't go look for an 89. They look for a 92. If they can't find one, then they compensate you for the loss of your rare car and not being able to replace it. I should know. I'm dealing an accident and insurance right now.

I could go on autotrader and ebay all day long and find 89s and 90s out the ass.

Again, 1100 vs 14,000. Significantly lower production numbers, later(and last) year, more sought after options increase the value. This isn't just specific to Supras.

After owning Supras from a few different year models, i will have to agree with Joe. 91 + is all i would get..heck now I won't even settle for a '91 model lol. My ultimate and the rarest Supra in my mind is >
1992, Black/Black, 5 Speed turbo with a Sunroof.

If I come across one, expect my current 1992 Black/Black with a targe and 5 speed / 2jzgte for sale :) . I am serious...

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
suprastanger507mgte said:
After owning Supras from a few different year models, i will have to agree with Joe. 91 + is all i would get..heck now I won't even settle for a '91 model lol. My ultimate and the rarest Supra in my mind is >

If I come across one, expect my current 1992 Black/Black with a targe and 5 speed / 2jzgte for sale :) . I am serious...

Then I will be keeping my eye out and ear to the ground.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Supraholics said:
Once you start modding, price charts change completely (depending on mods of course). For stock to BPU supras, yes, year matters.

Thats why I didn't care what year I got, it is not staying BPU for long:naughty:

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
we all know the production numbers,

but it would be really cool to see an know what those numbers are now, whats left out there whether registered out on the road, or just tucked away hidden in someones garage,

every couple on months someone on here says there supra died.. so I think in the long run as our cars dieoff it makes who still got one more an more rare an ups the value....

Will

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
OneJoeZee said:

I just had to deal with Insurance with my car -- got rear-ended a couple months ago sitting outside my apartment complex. Ins. Co. appraised the damage at $4200 to fix, and totaled it out for $4300. I called 'em back after that and told 'em it was WAY too low of a value for the car...that comparable cars were still going for 6k+ (I paid $6200 for mine). I had 2 ads on Autotrader pulled up on my screen, and the lady was surfing at the same time, telling me that she was searching '91s and '92s, but only coming up with about $4k-ish as the high number. I told her she was looking at the N/A cars (I was looking at the same ads), and that the Turbos were still going for 6k+. So I faxed the Autotrader printouts to the guy handling my buyback and what not (was only $200), which is what the lady told me to do if I thought the total loss value was too low. He crunched some #'s and ended up cutting me a check for $6589 after the buyback and everything else. Needless to say, I'm happy...LOL! Tracking down parts to fix the car as we speak, too.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
suprastanger507mgte said:

How much...? heheh.... :biglaugh:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
KicknAsphlt said:
I just had to deal with Insurance with my car -- got rear-ended a couple months ago sitting outside my apartment complex. Ins. Co. appraised the damage at $4200 to fix, and totaled it out for $4300. I called 'em back after that and told 'em it was WAY too low of a value for the car...that comparable cars were still going for 6k+ (I paid $6200 for mine). I had 2 ads on Autotrader pulled up on my screen, and the lady was surfing at the same time, telling me that she was searching '91s and '92s, but only coming up with about $4k-ish as the high number. I told her she was looking at the N/A cars (I was looking at the same ads), and that the Turbos were still going for 6k+. So I faxed the Autotrader printouts to the guy handling my buyback and what not (was only $200), which is what the lady told me to do if I thought the total loss value was too low. He crunched some #'s and ended up cutting me a check for $6589 after the buyback and everything else. Needless to say, I'm happy...LOL! Tracking down parts to fix the car as we speak, too.

Sounds reasonable.