Value of Supras

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
the fact that the mk4s can go for 3x as much is more because the overall quality of the car. it's got a 2JZ, two turbos (twice as appealing to the general public), and the way it looks gets WAY more poon

and yeah, i don't think it really matters what year a supra is, just the generation, and if it's before/after 89
(IMO)

there were only slight differences.. like the front speakers from what i can recall, not much else

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
thechori said:
the fact that the mk4s can go for 3x as much is more because the overall quality of the car. it's got a 2JZ, two turbos (twice as appealing to the general public), and the way it looks gets WAY more poon

and yeah, i don't think it really matters what year a supra is, just the generation, and if it's before/after 89
(IMO)

there were only slight differences.. like the front speakers from what i can recall, not much else
shadow grey > * and the toyota emblem ftw

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Actually I was reading some 07 car price guide and 87-89 turbo models in excellent condition were only priced around 4-6k and then the 90-92s were arnd 8-12k! They obviously knew the production #s from year to year.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
thechori said:

(IMO)

You're right on that one. I don't know how many people Ive run into that find out I drive a supra and they ask me if its twin turbo. And when I say its not, its a 57 trim, they just look at me like they have been let down. "Its a cross I bear".

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i dont know to much about car values, but my buddy just bought a 1991 turbo targa 5spd for $2000. with only 91,000 miles. it mad me sick to think i payed more for an 88 n/a.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
thechori said:
(IMO)

Year does matter. Very much.

You're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

1100 92s vs 14,000 89s vs 33,000 86s makes a BIG difference in value.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
DonS1mpson said:
The episode of pinks featuring the MKIII airs in march.

I'm skeptical that one episode of a not too major show is going to change prices that much, but then again, a bit of media attention never hurt anyone.

Speaking of pinks and Supras.

I'm watching pinks right now and there's some bikes racing.

In the arguing, one guy says you wanna see our dyno sheet? The other guy says, "Yeah sure, we can race on teh dyno.... If you own a Supra."

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
OneJoeZee said:
Speaking of pinks and Supras.

I'm watching pinks right now and there's some bikes racing.

In the arguing, one guy says you wanna see our dyno sheet? The other guy says, "Yeah sure, we can race on teh dyno.... If you own a Supra."

I remember seeing that episode

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
LOL, check this intro out from musclecarclub.com........

Toyota put the sports car world on edge with its Supra model. A rear driver sports car driven by a six cylinder engine, it became a true performance car with the addition of dual turbos.

2543arvin said:
You're right on that one. I don't know how many people Ive run into that find out I drive a supra and they ask me if its twin turbo. And when I say its not, its a 57 trim, they just look at me like they have been let down. "Its a cross I bear".

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
OneJoeZee said:
Year does matter. Very much.

You're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

1100 92s vs 14,000 89s vs 33,000 86s makes a BIG difference in value.

Year is not gonna matter to someone who is just interested in buying a MK3 supra. If they are familiar with the supra then they would pay much more for a 92 but if they are just interested in the name, then year isnt gonna make them spend big $$$$.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
They don't have to buy the car then if they aren't aware of the rarity differences between years. If I was selling my car and someone wanted to buy it and tell me the year doesn't matter, I'd tell him to go buy an 86 then.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
OneJoeZee said:
They don't have to buy the car then if they aren't aware of the rarity differences between years. If I was selling my car and someone wanted to buy it and tell me the year doesn't matter, I'd tell him to go buy an 86 then.

Im not saying that they would have to buy the car, Im just saying that when people look to buy a MK3 supra that they arent looking at production numbers. And the fact that you wouldnt sell them your car is irrelevant to this thread.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
It's not about selling the car, I think the point Joe was trying to make was the if the year doesn't matter to the buyer then they could save a fair amount of money if they get an 86.5, so he would point them in that direction. And that is relevant to this thread.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Dirgle said:
It's not about selling the car, I think the point Joe was trying to make was the if the year doesn't matter to the buyer then they could save a fair amount of money if they get an 86.5, so he would point them in that direction. And that is relevant to this thread.

Agreed. But I assumed Joe meant that production numbers would make any potential buyer pay more for a MK3 supra, and I know when I bought my 89, production numbers were the last of my thoughts. I may be the only member that didnt see that as a factor of price but I doubt it.

When it comes to resale value....yes a 90-92 will be worth more than a 86.5-89 but if you're buying the MK3 as a car to hold onto(as I did) then it wont matter what year it was produced.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Once you start modding, price charts change completely (depending on mods of course). For stock to BPU supras, yes, year matters.

There's tons of examples of this right here on the forums.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Wow...now I know why all the supras around here are 90 and before. I have only seen about 15 or so mk3s here in memphis and only 5 of them were 89+ body.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
A lot of people thought supras are MKIV.....and our Mk3 are something else. People dont even know Mk3 exists. Only those who knows what Mk3 are compliment them. If it is not a MKIV, they get disapointed. I find this fact funny.

Ds650rida

Mar 19, 2007
Jersey
www.myspace.com
a while ago someone on here was selling a burgandy mind condition 92 turbo, bone stock but had 5 speed swap. he asked for 7000 and im pretty sure he got that much if not, not too much off. If i remember correctly, i'll try and find a link for the forsale thread.