SySt's Build up

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
sounds awesome mate! i'm curious though, what size tires are you running? the POS 01 ss sitting in my driveway will only spin them through first, spin a bit shifting 1-2, but nothing once it hooks up there... granted, these are 275 goodyear eagle f1's that came stock on these cars, but...

i forget, are you still n/a on this one, or...?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Well, there haven't been many updates. I drove the Supra some more after getting new tabs. I forgot I didn't have a hood latch and didn't strap the hood down. The hood smashed into the windshield at about 60mph. I have another hood to put on it and the windshield is fixed.

Overall I am pretty happy with my build, though there are always tons of ways to improve it. I feel a bit spoiled though with driving my R1. The Supra just doesn't compare when it comes to accelerating. Guess that means I need a cam/head package and higher revs now.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
SySt;1043965 said:
I forgot I didn't have a hood latch and didn't strap the hood down. The hood smashed into the windshield at about 60mph.
I did that at like 40 once on a Porsche. No brakes are good enough when that happens.
SySt;1043965 said:
I feel a bit spoiled though with driving my R1. The Supra just doesn't compare when it comes to accelerating.
No Supra parts will change that. It's just different.;)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I would have some videos if I had or knew someone who had a video camera. As far as pictures go, the car doesn't really look much different now than it did 6 months ago. That and I am actually living about 5.5hrs from my Supra now, as school is back in session. I should be putting some electric fans on this winter along with a converter to make my tach work. I will definitly give updates as those parts come in and get installed.

Does anyone have any experience with various electric fans? I want to stay below 15amps and around 1000CFM. Also, it must be less than 3.5" thick and I do not want to spend a lot of money. As far as mounting goes, what do you guys suggest? Seems most fans are mounted with plastic ties through the radiator core. That seems like not such a good idea. I was thinking of aluminum brackets that strap to the top and bottom of the radiator.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SySt;1122490 said:
As far as mounting goes, what do you guys suggest? Seems most fans are mounted with plastic ties through the radiator core. That seems like not such a good idea. I was thinking of aluminum brackets that strap to the top and bottom of the radiator.

I've never used electric fans on a Supra before, but you might try (for the top end anyway) using carriage bolts, pointed upwards, through the top of the fan housing, and bolted to a bracket that would bolt to the stock radiator holding tabs. Not so sure about the bottom end of things, you might have to fab up something for them to rest on.

Good luck man, have been following the build for a while now, and I'm loving it :)

Jus10dun

Mar 31, 2006
Springhill,FL
www.myspace.com
any updates i have beening dreaming of this build ever since my motor got rod knock the first time. I have tried to think of a cheaper alternative to get this kind of power but i have finally relized that a GM motor is the only way to go. My buddy and me are both planning on getting 5.3 LM7s with T-56s. His in a S-10 tho. I am saving up and planning on getting it done in the next 2 years. So post as many pics as you can thanks.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Jus10dun;1144251 said:
Also what did you end up doing to get you speedo to work?

My speedometer doesn't work. You can just calculate your speed at certain RPMs in each gear... Obviously I want a working speedometer. It would cost upwards of $300.00 to make the stock guage work. I was thinking of trying a speedometer out of a mid-90s Corrolla as they look like they will fit and look OEM and I beleive they are electric, not mechanical. You would then need some sort of equipment to convert the T56 signal to a signal the guage would need. You can find those peices of equipment for under $100.00.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I have some new current pics of my car. I got a new hood and front bumper off a local member here. Funny thing is I sold the hood and bumper to him about 4 years ago. They are both of my first Supra. The guy I bought them from modified the hood with 280Z vents. He beleives they aid in cooling, and judging by the amount of heat exiting from them I concur.

You can clearly see my biggest issue with the swap. The shifter hole has to be enlarged. No, I was not too caring when I enlarged it. You'd have to mount the LSx too far forward to get the shifter on the T56 to line up right. However I like the positioning of the shifter more than stock, more control over the shifter and more comfortable.

DSC01474.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01470.jpg

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Well, I am starting to collect parts to install on the Supra over the winter, to make it more streetable/driveable. The shift knob I bought it attached to this post. It's just a nice plain knob made of delrin so it won't scald my hand in the summer compared to an aluminum knob. I just could not find a good knob for an F-body, they all suck. This one is a Corvette C5R replica basically, so it has Corvette threads. I will have to try and retap the threads to F-body threads, otherwise I may just use a thread insert.
DSC01009.JPG

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
One hell of a swap there you have there Luke. As for a shift knob, try and find a CTS-
V knob. If feels and looks really nice ;) (no you can't have mine)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Well I am finally updating this post. I have not worked on my Supra much in the past months as I have been at school. I am going to try and tow it up to school this Spring break to finish it to a point that I can drive it a lot. If my ride falls through I may just spend a few days working on it and make the 330+ mile ride driving it.

The one major issue in driving it back is that it will no have O2 sesnors...Not sure how much of an issue that is. I could just rig up my wideband setup to simulate narrowband. Anyone know if the Innovate LC-1 will work fine simulating two narrowband sensors?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Luke, about the LC1 question, are you asking if you could use both channels setup to output a simulated NB signal?

If that is what you are asking, then yes you could do that. Both outputs can be programed to output whatever you want the to.