SySt's Build up

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
cjsupra90;1269383 said:
Luke, about the LC1 question, are you asking if you could use both channels setup to output a simulated NB signal?

If that is what you are asking, then yes you could do that. Both outputs can be programed to output whatever you want the to.

Well, I was thinking that a possibility. However I was actually wondering if I could use just one channel to simulate the NB signal for both banks. I guess I might as well just use both channels though if I am to do that. The main issue is that I have no way to mount an O2 sensor in my exhaust system until I get my Supra up here. Any cheaper option than buying the innovate exhaust clamp?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
On Friday I drove my Supra from Burnsville, MN to Grand Forks, ND. I ran into only two real issues. I have no fuel guage so I ran out of gas, but of course had planned for that. The other issue was when I was sitting in traffic for over an hour. My temp guage started rising from where is normally sits, however is stabilized about 3/4 of the way up the guage. Ever since it has sat just below half way on the guage. So maybe my cooling fan is insufficient.

I do still have a bit of work to get done before I am satisfied but I can now drive the car around and it has proven it is reliable enough. I really need to get the hole around my shifter and in my trunk covered up as it is very loud to drive around especially due to the trunk hole.

The bottom-line, now that I have my car with me in North Dakota I can now continue work on it way more frequently.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Good news to hear it made it all the way up there! Now you can have it finished by summer break from school so you can join in some MN supra cruises and meets correct ;)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
92nsx;1277760 said:
Good news to hear it made it all the way up there! Now you can have it finished by summer break from school so you can join in some MN supra cruises and meets correct ;)

Actually, I will be staying here during the summer. I will be taking a couple trips back to cities I'm sure though. If you let me know when everyone is getting together I can make one of those trips for a Supra meet.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I have run into a little issue. I had RS Motors make my exhaust system. Unfortunately the guy who made the system may not know anything about cars beyond welding/fabricating. The pipes coming off of each cylindeer bank are tucked fairly close to the transmission bellhousing. On the left side of the car my clutch line is at the most 1/2" from the exhaust pipe. It sucks because the pipe could have easily been moved atleast and inch farther from it. Cutting and re-welding the pipe is out of the question for me. Any suggestion to keep the clutch line protected from the heat? Just use a reflective sheath over the line? Any specific products anyone recommends?

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I forgot to mention on my trip from Burnsville to Grand Forks I was getting less than 15mpg. After sitting in traffic it was all 70-75mph. I should have been getting 25mpg+ and thats a conservative number. I attribute that to not having any O2 sensors, you can really smell how rich my car is running. That means there is more power to be had once it's leaned out :). It's pretty ridiculous as first gear is already pretty useless, way easy to spin the tires. 2nd gear is nice, I can sit around 2k rpms in 2nd going maybe 20-25mph and spin the tires a bit just by opening the throttle. Granted my rear tires are fairly crappy...

Also, there is a reportedly accurate scale about 2 miles from my house so when the weather gets a bit nicer and I have O2 sensors I will go any get this car weighed. I'm hoping for around 3k lbs with me in the car.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
IJ.;1280688 said:
Heatwrap on the pipe?

Are you suggesting wrapping the exhaust pipe so to insulate it? Any reason you would choose to do that over wrapping the clutch line with some sort of thermal reflective wrap? Any specific products you suggest using?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Luke if you can try and make it to the Kaliedoscope Car Show in St. Cloud on May 30th. There will be around 5-6 MKIII there plus plenty of ricers to make fun of.

Here is the link

http://www.mnsportcompacts.net/forum...ad.php?t=82609

But at 15 mpg it might be a good hit from Grand Forks to St. Cloud. BTW My Caddy (LS6) only gets around 19-21ish on the freeway and that is with the T-56.

I hope your supra is on high ground I hear your flood should crest 41+ ft. over flood plan this weekend or early next week. That is a shit ton of water the mighty Red is carrying

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I take it you've never driven an LS1 car before? They're rolling burnout monsters. My old SS would roast tires long enough to cook marshmallows in the wheel wells. :p

However, your mpg is kinda crappy, get that O2 situation figured out, you should see at LEAST 18 if you're beating on it.

And forgive me, I've forgotten a bit of the details on this build, but how exactly did you drop enough weight off a Mk3 chassis to even HOPE to see a 3k curb weight with you IN the car? I dunno how much you weigh, but even with ME (I'm kinda a jockey of sorts, at around 130 with heavy clothes on haha), I can't see a Mk3 being that light... Be happy if you hit 3300, unless you've gone to some rather extreme measures to put your car on a diet. ;)

Oh, and the heat wrap is about as best as I can come up with... perhaps a Jet-Hot coated plate that could go between the header and clutch line? That might help too... At the very least, you might try VHT, and spray the header, as a precautionary...

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
te72;1280905 said:
I take it you've never driven an LS1 car before? They're rolling burnout monsters. My old SS would roast tires long enough to cook marshmallows in the wheel wells. :p

However, your mpg is kinda crappy, get that O2 situation figured out, you should see at LEAST 18 if you're beating on it.

And forgive me, I've forgotten a bit of the details on this build, but how exactly did you drop enough weight off a Mk3 chassis to even HOPE to see a 3k curb weight with you IN the car? I dunno how much you weigh, but even with ME (I'm kinda a jockey of sorts, at around 130 with heavy clothes on haha), I can't see a Mk3 being that light... Be happy if you hit 3300, unless you've gone to some rather extreme measures to put your car on a diet. ;)

Oh, and the heat wrap is about as best as I can come up with... perhaps a Jet-Hot coated plate that could go between the header and clutch line? That might help too... At the very least, you might try VHT, and spray the header, as a precautionary...

As a matter of fact I have never really even driven a V8 sports car before. I hope to have the O2 sensor issue figured out in the next week or so. The 3k lbs figure with me in it is very optimistic. I should be quite light though as my car is completely gutted aside from front seats, the doors and the dash. I also rewired the car leaving out anything I did not see as essential.

cookiemon

Jan 22, 2009
leicester,nc
i am about to do a ls1 swap into a 91 mklll and i was wondering about a couple of things. what type of wiring harness did you use or make? the sterring shaft looked close to your headers, can you run it that close? what type of clearance did you mess with getting the tranny in, besides the shifter? i am actually doing this for a customer at my work and was just wonting to get a heads up on all the shi* i have to do.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
cookiemon;1281017 said:
i am about to do a ls1 swap into a 91 mklll and i was wondering about a couple of things. what type of wiring harness did you use or make? the sterring shaft looked close to your headers, can you run it that close? what type of clearance did you mess with getting the tranny in, besides the shifter? i am actually doing this for a customer at my work and was just wonting to get a heads up on all the shi* i have to do.

The headers I am using are off of a CTS-V. It seems to be ok running that close to the steering shaft. Good luck getting any other header to fit. I made my own engine harness. To fit the T56 in you have cut the transmission mount out of the unibody structure on the left side. The firewall/transmission tunnel will have to be enlarged by a small degree and there is also a part of the transmission casing that would need to be trimmed unless you want to cut and weld on the transmission tunnel.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
I took my exhaust system off today and welded the O2 sensor bungs on. I haven't welded in over a year and was never a professional but I got it done, just a little ugly. I have the O2 sensors on order from www.oxygensensors.com and once they get here we'll see what kind of improvement they make.

My exhaust system is all one piece off of the headers, and it is a little bit of a pain to take off. I had to remove the headers and steering link. To top off the exhaust system being poorly designed (clearance to clutch line), there were only two of the four nuts installed that connect the system to the headers. This exhaust was made by a MN local shop "RS Motors", and they charged me $695.00 when they estimated $300.00 and obviously did not do a very professional job. I know a few other people who have had similiar issues with RS Motors, so just a heads up.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SySt;1280994 said:
As a matter of fact I have never really even driven a V8 sports car before. I hope to have the O2 sensor issue figured out in the next week or so. The 3k lbs figure with me in it is very optimistic. I should be quite light though as my car is completely gutted aside from front seats, the doors and the dash. I also rewired the car leaving out anything I did not see as essential.

They're fun with a couple extra cylinders, huh? I'm getting my SS back soon, whether I wanted it or not... can't say I'm upset about it, I'll have a stock (ish) 1j Mk3 to compare it with. Should be fun.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my old 88 n/a auto hardtop weighed about 3620 with me in it, or perhaps it was 3720, I forget. Been about 3 years since I weighed it. That car had full interior and a modest stereo upgrade, but was otherwise stock. I would imagine the LS6 is around the same weight as a turbo 7m setup, dunno how heavy the T56 is though... My guess, with a mostly gutted interior and rewired? I'd say... 3490. Post up as soon as you find out, I'm curious to see how close my guess is. ;)

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better about the weight, a 3500lb car is basically a 'compact' these days. My friend's 09 XRS weighs something like 2980. By comparison, the older Corollas were damn near 2000-2200. Cars are getting fat these days, so a Mk3 is actually seeming like less of a pig these days. :p

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
te72;1281808 said:
They're fun with a couple extra cylinders, huh? I'm getting my SS back soon, whether I wanted it or not... can't say I'm upset about it, I'll have a stock (ish) 1j Mk3 to compare it with. Should be fun.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my old 88 n/a auto hardtop weighed about 3620 with me in it, or perhaps it was 3720, I forget. Been about 3 years since I weighed it. That car had full interior and a modest stereo upgrade, but was otherwise stock. I would imagine the LS6 is around the same weight as a turbo 7m setup, dunno how heavy the T56 is though... My guess, with a mostly gutted interior and rewired? I'd say... 3490. Post up as soon as you find out, I'm curious to see how close my guess is. ;)

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better about the weight, a 3500lb car is basically a 'compact' these days. My friend's 09 XRS weighs something like 2980. By comparison, the older Corollas were damn near 2000-2200. Cars are getting fat these days, so a Mk3 is actually seeming like less of a pig these days. :p

I'll post up my scale results as soon as I get them. For what it's worth, the LS6 with T56 is something like 20 pounds lighter than a 7M-GTE with R154. Of course, that doesn't include the intercooler, piping and other misc. stuff related to the 7M.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
That sounds about right. I'm no chemist or anything, but from personal experience, I know aluminum is a HELL of a lot lighter than iron. Once picked up my buddy Nathan's LS1 bare block, it couldn't have weighed more than 80lbs... Beautiful thing. :)

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
te72;1282507 said:
That sounds about right. I'm no chemist or anything, but from personal experience, I know aluminum is a HELL of a lot lighter than iron. Once picked up my buddy Nathan's LS1 bare block, it couldn't have weighed more than 80lbs... Beautiful thing. :)

According to Mike Donohue, an LS1 with T56 is no more than about 540lbs. According to another member here, the 7M with R154 with all accessories, mounted on a pallet is about 775lbs. Assuming those numbers are accurate, my swap alone saved about 225lbs.:aigo: For whats its worth, my car is sitting about 0.75 - 1 inch higher than I was before trying to remove weight out of the car. That is on Eibach pro-kit springs.

For comparison, your average iron 1st gen SBC bare block is about 85lbs heavier than an LS1 bare block.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm... I could have sworn the 7m was a couple hundred pounds lighter than a 1j... my 1j/R154 pallet of goodies weighed ~800lbs, with a good bit of extra stuff. Like EVERYTHING other than the fan. Would need to get a freight quote for the same thing about a 7m, but it's a moot point, really. ;)

Now... you just need a cam and some boost to give that v8 the top end that most people *think* their LS has. :D