Sports Bike....I have questions.

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
suprarich said:
6 bikes in 3 years makes you an expert?:biglaugh:
What is chinese on a buell and who the hell does not change the muffler and header with in a week of owning it?

Beat me too it. Pre '03 Buells did have problems but the quality control since then has improved greatly. I used to be active on a buell owners forum. A lot of dealers stopped carrying buells for 2 reasons. 1. The bikes didn't sell like Harleys. @. When they did sell they never saw the owner again. The later due to the reliabilty and the fact that Harley guys buy the crap out of accessories. Buelligans don't.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Well, had my permit for a little while now, haven't bought a helmet yet but did manage to pick this up from down the street! *sorry for poor cellphone picture quality*

p716456_1.jpg

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Clueless said:
Well, had my permit for a little while now, haven't bought a helmet yet but did manage to pick this up from down the street! *sorry for poor cellphone picture quality*

p716492_1.jpg

Looks like a nice find, what is it? Shaft driven I see... I have two friends with shaft bikes that like that but one is a Suzuki and one is a Honda lol. So a Yamaha what?

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
trydrew said:
Looks like a nice find, what is it? Shaft driven I see... I have two friends with shaft bikes that like that but one is a Suzuki and one is a Honda lol. So a Yamaha what?

1981 yamaha xj650....also known as a Yamaha Masum.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
OneJoeZee said:
Did you buy it as a fixer upper? Something to help you to learn how to work on bikes?

I sorta do that,,, I also did it cause it was pretty reasonable(pricewise) for the needed repairs. The carb is the biggest problem with the bike.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Once you get it running that will be a great starter bike, how much was it?

Also, when buying a helmet prices dont make it a better helmet safety wise. Get a helmet that fits, try them all on and ask the people in the store how it should fit. I see people buying helmets too big/small all the time and a wrong size helmet will do more harm than good.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
iwannadie said:
Once you get it running that will be a great starter bike, how much was it?

Also, when buying a helmet prices dont make it a better helmet safety wise. Get a helmet that fits, try them all on and ask the people in the store how it should fit. I see people buying helmets too big/small all the time and a wrong size helmet will do more harm than good.

Thanks for the advice on the helmets...I gave 400 for the bike. Today, I put a new set of plugs in as the other one's fouled out but plan to take bike into the yamaha shop sometime this week or next to have the carb cleaned right. I'll have brakes and front forks done in that trip or next, but I have this oil leak coming out of a rubber hose... :1zhelp: ...so I'll have that checked out as well.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
...oh and damn, I'm glad I don't have a sports bike as a first bike! This bike hauls while going down the road!

PS: Anybody know how I can record a trip down the street on camera without buying any expensive stuff?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Clueless said:
Thanks for the advice on the helmets...I gave 400 for the bike. Today, I put a new set of plugs in as the other one's fouled out but plan to take bike into the yamaha shop sometime this week or next to have the carb cleaned right. I'll have brakes and front forks done in that trip or next, but I have this oil leak coming out of a rubber hose... :1zhelp: ...so I'll have that checked out as well.

Bike service at a shop gets pricey very fast. The 1st and only time I took a bike to the dealer it cost me like 120$ for an oil change. Find a manual and start learning, brake pads should be easy to swap out. Oil changes are no big deal. Front forks might be alot to tackle without a stand...

Oil leak out of a rubber hose? I have no idea about that bike lol, but it might be you vent hose? Get some pics of the hose leaking...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Clueless said:
...oh and damn, I'm glad I don't have a sports bike as a first bike! This bike hauls while going down the road!

PS: Anybody know how I can record a trip down the street on camera without buying any expensive stuff?

Ive seen some real cheap camera mount setups made, a braket that bolts to the gas cap. Or some type of clamp onto the handle bars would be ok for a ride down the road.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
iwannadie said:
Bike service at a shop gets pricey very fast. The 1st and only time I took a bike to the dealer it cost me like 120$ for an oil change. Find a manual and start learning, brake pads should be easy to swap out. Oil changes are no big deal. Front forks might be alot to tackle without a stand...

Oil leak out of a rubber hose? I have no idea about that bike lol, but it might be you vent hose? Get some pics of the hose leaking...

They told me a good carb cleaning will cost me 150-ish. I'd rather not do the forks myself(unless I had somebody that know's what they're doing help me), brakes are freaky on this bike(poor stopping power), so I'll replace pads myself as well as the oil. I can't tell how much oil is in the motor with no dip stick and I'll try to get a picture of the leak for you.