Sports Bike....I have questions.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
you could always get a scooter to start off with ;) i started off with a yamaha r6 and went g
gsxr1000

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
My suggestion is to stay with something no bigger than a 600cc to start out with. I would also suggest getting a used bike as well. Then when you feel comfortable with riding, get a new one.

I have an 06 CBR600RR and it's a great bike even if you aren't a beginner. Fast as hell and is perfectly balanced.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
clueless said:
here's my finding from the Yamaha store should I buy a Yamaha for a first bike...

I spent a lot of time researching bikes and after reading all the reviews I went with the 06 FZ6. It's fast, it's light and it is very comfortable to ride as you sit in a more up right riding position than compared to most sport bikes..

It has the ability to hang with the bigger bikes and the cruzers, if you wish.

The two things that I am not crazy about are the seat and the tach.

The seat is not very comfortable but I am hoping it breaks in a bit along the way.

The digi tack is not that easy to read sometimes but they were smart enough to also include a numerical tack that seems to help a lot.

I bought mine for commuting/fun and at 50mpg I can not be happier with this bike.

For an extra $700 in mods you can get a slip on pipe and power commander and this bitch will scream...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/12august03_2004yamaha_fz6.htm

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_vehicle.asp?veh=13129

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
AF1JZ said:
My suggestion is to stay with something no bigger than a 600cc to start out with. I would also suggest getting a used bike as well. Then when you feel comfortable with riding, get a new one.

I have an 06 CBR600RR and it's a great bike even if you aren't a beginner. Fast as hell and is perfectly balanced.

yeah theres some great bikes out there cheap (i had bought one for 150$ off ebay that served me well while i lived in texas and sold for ~$600 when i moved )

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
One thing about buying used bikes would be you'd never know if their hot or been maltreated, not that you couldn't find out. Also I really like the 07 body style better then the older ones.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Scorpion says the power commander is not needed with the pipes, but the power commander will make it run smoother/even and it is totally adjustable for tuning. Mine is on order so I have not actually played with it but here is some usefull info from their website.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_iii_usb/powercommander_information.aspx

How much additional power will it give my motorcycle?
There are many variables to each application. The Power Commander allows for tuning to the perfect air/fuel ratio will ensure that the engine can produce the maximum possible horsepower for that given combination.

Consider that a typical street rider spends a great deal of time riding in part throttle conditions. Shown below are two graphs of a motorcycle before and after installation of the Power Commander. The top graph line shows the horsepower curve accelerating and the lower graph shows the corresponding air/fuel ratio. You can see a large horsepower increase between the two. The red curve shows a typical stock motorcycle with minor performance modifications (slip-on exhaust).

perfLarge.jpg

The blue curve shows that same combination with the Power Commander installed and you can see that the line is nearly straight. Consequently, the rider will feel a large improvement while riding the motorcycle. It is very possible that the peak wide open throttle horsepower is unchanged. The correct air/fuel ratio number (say 12.9:1 or 13.2:1) depends upon many factors like combustion chamber design, but what we want is that figure at every point in the curve (straight line).

Tuning with Power Commander
Base Map - The Power Commander is supplied with a given (base) map stored in the microprocessor. This (base map) is typically a map that has been developed to provide an improvement for most combinations matching the map description (i.e. stock bike or performance exhaust and air filter).

In general we have found that a typical stock bike has areas in the fuel curve that are far from optimal for drive-ability and performance. We could say that they are typically 70% optimized in stock condition and 60% - 65% with minor performance modifications. After installation of the Power Commander with the base map, we would expect to see 85% - 95% optimization. Power Commander Alternate Maps - Each Power Commander is supplied with a number of alternate maps on a CD-ROM and all the maps are available for download on our web site.

You may notice that we have a map specifically for "Brand A" slip-on exhaust and another for "Brand B" slip-on exhaust. Although the difference between the two maps is likely to be very small, these difference will increase the optimization for that given combination. If you have a "Brand C" exhaust and we do not have a specific map, you should find that "Brand A" or Brand B" maps will provide a good improvement on your bike.

I would not expect massive HP gains but most of the FZ6 guys recommend it with any air/fuel modifications...(or even stock bikes)

Last edited:

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
dont buy a buell.. they are all bad news.
poor quality.
i had a blast and a lightning, both were shit.
crappy chinese parts, poorly manufactured parts, cheap alloys, crappy mirrors, 5,000 pound mufflers (the only reason they put it under the bike is because its so damn heavy)

ALL bad news.

and dont buy a 250...
after one week you will feel retarted. (no power)

buy a 500cc one lunger.. alot of torque for fun, and last a while.

ive owned 6 bikes in 3 years.. so i know what im talking about.

i stick around yamaha and kawi, kawisaki has always been my brand of choice. (last bike was a 1993 kawasaki ninja ZX-7RR)

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Nomad707 said:
poor quality.
crappy chinese parts, poorly manufactured parts, cheap alloys, crappy mirrors, 5,000 pound mufflers (the only reason they put it under the bike is because its so damn heavy)

ALL bad news.

and dont buy a 250...
after one week you will feel retarted. (no power)

buy a 500cc one lunger.. alot of torque for fun, and last a while.

i stick around yamaha and kawi, kawisaki has always been my brand of choice. (last bike was a 1993 kawasaki ninja ZX-7RR)

Yea, I was told 250 is waaay too small especially for a fat guy like me...two bikes I have looked at were 600cc and 1000cc(pro's and con's to each) but haven't checked out kawisaki bikes yet. Why do you like Kawi bikes over Yamaha?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Nomad707 said:
poor quality.

ALL bad news

6 bikes in 3 years makes you an expert?:biglaugh:
What is chinese on a buell and who the hell does not change the muffler and header with in a week of owning it?