Sports Bike....I have questions.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
iwannadie said:
Ive seen some real cheap camera mount setups made, a braket that bolts to the gas cap. Or some type of clamp onto the handle bars would be ok for a ride down the road.

I'll need to check into this....and a cheap digital camcorder.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Clueless said:
They told me a good carb cleaning will cost me 150-ish. I'd rather not do the forks myself(unless I had somebody that know's what they're doing help me), brakes are freaky on this bike(poor stopping power), so I'll replace pads myself as well as the oil. I can't tell how much oil is in the motor with no dip stick and I'll try to get a picture of the leak for you.

Theres no window on the motor to see the oil level?

Good thing you didnt get the liter bike to learn on huh lol. Any bike you twist the throttle and just blows you away ;)

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
iwannadie said:
Theres no window on the motor to see the oil level?

Good thing you didnt get the liter bike to learn on huh lol. Any bike you twist the throttle and just blows you away ;)

Yea, there's a window but I'll need to use a flashlight to see in. Yea, I think around 600cc is my calling... :evil2:

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
you shouldent need a fleshlight.

tilt the bike so its standing straight up, and the oil level should be in the middle of the sight glass.

And for the 600 comment. just wait. I PROMISE your opinion will change.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Ckanderson said:
you shouldent need a fleshlight.

tilt the bike so its standing straight up, and the oil level should be in the middle of the sight glass.

And for the 600 comment. just wait. I PROMISE your opinion will change.

Run the bike for a few minutes to get it up to temp, then let it cool for a minute or so before checking. Make sure its on level ground and sitting up right, might want someone to hold the bike up right for you.

As far as the 600 comment, some people like the 600 and dont need a bigger bike. 600s are lighter and more flickable and dam fast for the street. You just dont have that low end torque, I dont mind revving the hell out of a motor and working the gears to find the power. I also dont mind not having a power band that ranges the full tach. A 600 would beat any liter bike through twistys, if you want straight line speed then go liter. I like railing my bike around turns not going straight...

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ok got tired of the endless arguement over the start small v/s go 1300cc Busa for your first bike... blah blah blah.

Want to have fun?
Want a bike?

Here is my advice.

1) Wear a helmet anytime you are on the bike. NO exceptions. I have a Scopion, but find one you like, is comfortable and then wear it.
2) Wear the best gloves that fit you. I personally like Racer High End gloves.
3) Wear at minimum long pants, long sleave shirt and boots that cover your ankle. I have a nice Vanson hot weather riding shirt with armor on order... Find one you like and wear it. Every time plan to fall, then ride to stay up, and your in a good frame of mind.

Even when it's 100f, I wear a sweatshirt over my T-shirt untill the Vanson jacket arrives. (I'm not prone to buy stuff off the shelf, or I'd have a few cycle jackets at the moment, I like Icon stuff, and some A-stars and others.)

Wear boots. I see guys in flip flops.. Yep, you like walking? Wear good footware.

Ok, now onto bikes.
DO what you want :)
I personally started on dirt bikes, then enduro's then street bikes. A great learning bike that is totally fun to ride are Supermoto's. (Like the Suzuki 400SM... Dang fun bike, my brother owned a 06 black one, and it was a hoot.) Light, and they handle better than most sport bikes hands down. Just don't get so confident that you ride through some loose sand, and have your first get off... Not fun on any bike.

After not riding for years, I bought a 97 KTM 620 RXC, an enduro, and really loved that bike. Much like the SM my brother had, it was fun on the street, and had the power and learning curve that was right for me to get comfortable on the street.

I sold it, lost very little, about 200.00 on that deal, and bought a 2006 FZ1. Very fast, very fun, and totally 100% street bike! (No more dirt roads for this guy.) Here is the thing. The R1 based motor in this "Naked Bike" might be slightly detuned, but it will have you over 100mph in just a few seconds easy. Heck, does over the speed limit in any state in just first gear, but it can also put around town, totally comfortable all day long. Perfect for what I want.

That's the key. Many reccomend you start on something small and affordable. A nice smaller displacement used bike. This is good advice. You will not lose much money, if any, and it's way cheaper than dropping your new bike even one time. (And everyone falls, it's just a matter of time.)

One last thing. Watch out for everyone else on the road, INCLUDING other motorcycle riders. (I failed to do this and the ONLY time I've fallen down was with other riders....) Keep that in mind too. Riding with buddies is the FASTEST way to fall down. Especially if you try and keep up with more experianced riders, and if they don't have the sense to have YOU ride up front, or at least in the middle of the pack. You should never be following a group of other riders when your the new guy to this. It's a ticket to the hospital or morgue if your sucked into following faster riders up twisty roads, or in traffic they are weaving into and out of, and you try the same thing before you know what your doing.

Have fun, wear all your gear, all the time, and if your in Boise some time, let's go riding! :)

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Adjuster said:
Ok got tired of the endless arguement over the start small v/s go 1300cc Busa for your first bike... blah blah blah.

Want to have fun?
Want a bike?

Here is my advice.

1) Wear a helmet anytime you are on the bike. NO exceptions. I have a Scopion, but find one you like, is comfortable and then wear it.
2) Wear the best gloves that fit you. I personally like Racer High End gloves.
3) Wear at minimum long pants, long sleave shirt and boots that cover your ankle. I have a nice Vanson hot weather riding shirt with armor on order... Find one you like and wear it. Every time plan to fall, then ride to stay up, and your in a good frame of mind.

Even when it's 100f, I wear a sweatshirt over my T-shirt untill the Vanson jacket arrives. (I'm not prone to buy stuff off the shelf, or I'd have a few cycle jackets at the moment, I like Icon stuff, and some A-stars and others.)

Wear boots. I see guys in flip flops.. Yep, you like walking? Wear good footware.

Ok, now onto bikes.
DO what you want :)
I personally started on dirt bikes, then enduro's then street bikes. A great learning bike that is totally fun to ride are Supermoto's. (Like the Suzuki 400SM... Dang fun bike, my brother owned a 06 black one, and it was a hoot.) Light, and they handle better than most sport bikes hands down. Just don't get so confident that you ride through some loose sand, and have your first get off... Not fun on any bike.

After not riding for years, I bought a 97 KTM 620 RXC, an enduro, and really loved that bike. Much like the SM my brother had, it was fun on the street, and had the power and learning curve that was right for me to get comfortable on the street.

I sold it, lost very little, about 200.00 on that deal, and bought a 2006 FZ1. Very fast, very fun, and totally 100% street bike! (No more dirt roads for this guy.) Here is the thing. The R1 based motor in this "Naked Bike" might be slightly detuned, but it will have you over 100mph in just a few seconds easy. Heck, does over the speed limit in any state in just first gear, but it can also put around town, totally comfortable all day long. Perfect for what I want.

That's the key. Many reccomend you start on something small and affordable. A nice smaller displacement used bike. This is good advice. You will not lose much money, if any, and it's way cheaper than dropping your new bike even one time. (And everyone falls, it's just a matter of time.)

One last thing. Watch out for everyone else on the road, INCLUDING other motorcycle riders. (I failed to do this and the ONLY time I've fallen down was with other riders....) Keep that in mind too. Riding with buddies is the FASTEST way to fall down. Especially if you try and keep up with more experianced riders, and if they don't have the sense to have YOU ride up front, or at least in the middle of the pack. You should never be following a group of other riders when your the new guy to this. It's a ticket to the hospital or morgue if your sucked into following faster riders up twisty roads, or in traffic they are weaving into and out of, and you try the same thing before you know what your doing.

Have fun, wear all your gear, all the time, and if your in Boise some time, let's go riding! :)

Im STILL searching for the proper footwear that works well for me. I was in an accident with sneakers(vision) on and my foot basically bent in half breaking everything. So I know the need for real riding shoes/boots, at the same time I cant find anything that gives me lever feel.

All the boots Ive looked at or tired on all seem to have a thick toe area that doenst give any direct feel. I guess Id just have to get used to it but its hard to break old habbits and feel comfortable/safe.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Adjuster said:
THANK YOU!!
I hate seeing all these stupid people riding around in t-shirts, shorts and sandals.
Not gonna have much skin left after taking a spill.

rocksdasox

May 1, 2007
Snohio
Get a bike you can handle.. if you are 5'0" and 100lbs don't go buy a hayabusa right off the bat. if you are uncoordinated, don't get a heavy bike.( ask your buddy if you are uncoordinated, he'll let you know) what kind of riding do you want to do? my 636 will smoke any 1100+ bike in the turns.. straight away different story. Stay off of buells and katanas, they are junk. Wear the gear, AND YOU ARE NOT A F@CKING STUNTER JUST BECUASE YOU HAVE A SPORTBIKE...lol

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
rocksdasox said:
Get a bike you can handle.. if you are 5'0" and 100lbs don't go buy a hayabusa right off the bat. if you are uncoordinated, don't get a heavy bike.( ask your buddy if you are uncoordinated, he'll let you know) what kind of riding do you want to do? my 636 will smoke any 1100+ bike in the turns.. straight away different story. Stay off of buells and katanas, they are junk. Wear the gear, AND YOU ARE NOT A F@CKING STUNTER JUST BECUASE YOU HAVE A SPORTBIKE...lol

Why do you think the katana is junk? I own and love mine so Im just curious what you think is wrong with them?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I had a sportbike. I laid it down, missed a mailbox by about 18" and dislocated my left shoulder. I've had three screws in it for the past 12 years. My wife says no street bike, but that gave me a lot of ammo to buy my Supra, so things work out. :)

Oh yeah, and a few years ago I broke three toes in six places on my left foot when I took a large rock out of the ground with my foot while riding a dirt bike. :kaboom: I just stay off anything with two wheels and a motor now. :ugh: