Slow's build: Wheelie Bar Equipped

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Slow66 said:
That sounds like one of those Budweiser "Real American Heroes" commercials...lol.

"So thank you Mr.SpendObsceneAmountsOfMoneyOnYourWorthlessPileOfAMKIIISupra for doing stuff that no one in their right mind would do.....Many men would have put all that $ on a down payment for a house, but not you.....you liek to shoot yourself in the foot....

:D

LOL! At least you have a house already................. don't you??

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
As promised, the new turbo mounting location...(and everything assiciated with it)

bracket welded to frame..
sm_photo_missing.jpg

1" thick t6 flange welded to a bracket to blot to the frame mount...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

shot of it with the collector....
sm_photo_missing.jpg

aaaaaand now with the turdbo...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now i know some of you are thinking, "Gee, where the hell is the water pump gonna go?" And the answer to that is that i have an elec. water pump, ans actually, the whole water pump mount is actually milled off on the real motor. The blocks cooant jackets are filled with cement (hard-blok) and coolant will only actually flow thru the head. Some of you also may be thinking, "Well where the hell is he gonna put an intercooler with the turbo mounted like that?" The answer to that is there is NO intercooler in my setup. Running 100% methanol pretty much rids the need of an IC. I *could* use one but i think the weight/room savings of not having one outweigh the negligable power increase i might see....

thoughts, opinions, flames?

:)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
needs more cowbell?

interesting setup. im sure you have a master plan, but i cant figure out why you want the turbo there. atleast it will clear the hood lol.
it just seems things are more complicated with that placement. really long manifold runners w/ some funky bends and some odd oil lines.
add to that, some sharp bends for the intake manifold and if you wanted to use a ram inlet for the turbo that would be a sharp bend too. well, i suppose you could extend the inlet over to the driver side and make more of a gradual bend.

im not trying to flame at all. like i said im sure when you spill the beans it will all make sense :) just seems like it makes everything more complicated.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
Are you running solid motor mounts? I am sure I do not even need to explain why I ask. Also, just because the fuel you are running and intercooler is still what I call mandatory. You may not have any detonation issues but by not using the intercooler you are not flowing as much air into the engine.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Basically, i wanted a setup where the weight of the turbo was not supported by the manifold itself. As you guys know, turbos are not light, especially ones of this size...lol. The primary lengths will only be a couple inches longer than the Ron R maniold i had, and ill be honest, I'm not the type of guy thats gonna pull out my calculator and physics book to set the optimal primary length. The way i see it is most turbo headers go down off the head and loop back up to the turbo....these will just shoot forward instead of up. I also wanted to keep the charge piping fairly short. In this case, it will make a 90 to the drivers side, then a 90 back towards the TB. Are 90's optimal? Of course not. but the way i see it, most setups have 3 or 4 90s in their system along with a big-honkin IC to assist in pressure drop. The turbo inlet, liek you said dave, will probably be routed to the drivers side for a gradual bend. I knwo youre not flaming, and maybe it might be slightly more complicated than it needs to be, but im just tryign to think of whats gonna be the most effective, and still give me longevity/reliability.

SySt, yes the mounts are solid, and i will also fab up a strut with heim joints, (much like a 4-link bar) that will go from the frame to the motor to obviously help with keeping it in one place. And i gotta admit, "but by not using the intercooler you are not flowing as much air into the engine" kinda puzzled me. How does the IC flow more air into the engine? Did i read into it wrong? Even still, i dont think an IC is necessary, and if my IAT decides to tell me other wise, i will spritz soma alky in the charge pipe to help out. Again, ideal? maybe not. Effective, i sure think so. :) Keep in mind, im not flaming back or insinuating an arguement....just bouncing back whats going on in my warped skull, im sure many might agree with you more than me. Wouldnt be the first time...lol.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
lol we all have warped skulls or we wouldnt dump this much time and money in these cars.

glad you didnt take that the wrong way. was just tring to figure out what you had in mind.

as far as the restrictions, you could make the case of sharper bends at 1/8 of the length of normal ic piping it would still be better.

the more i look at the way the manifold is gonna lay out, it starts to look like a header/collector put on backwards. seeing that, the bends wont be as bad as i had originally thought. the length is still there, which my only concern was lag. being that it isnt the most responsive turbo in the world anyway, then adding length to it on top of that. real world difference? who knows. does it matter? well, either way nothing some juice and high stall cant cure.

good luck w/ your project man.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Thanks for the input Dave, its always appreciated. Im always up for different opinions, as thats how things become better. "Two (or more) heads are better than one"......

I just have a gut feeling this setup is gonna work well....and i guess theres only one way to find out :)

ma70tt

Jan 31, 2007
deerfield
Slow66 said:
Thanks for the input Dave, its always appreciated. Im always up for different opinions, as thats how things become better. "Two (or more) heads are better than one"......

I just have a gut feeling this setup is gonna work well....and i guess theres only one way to find out :)

lookin' good in here!

i posted a cry for turbo sizing help in my thread, but since you already have a turbo and seem to know a bit more than average, i thought i would post in here too. what do ya think of two t4 flanged 60-1's? i ordered two t4 flanges today and will fab them onto my current shorty headers, flipped upside down and pointing forward...

ma70tt

Jan 31, 2007
deerfield
Slow66 said:
I posted in your thread before i even looked here.... :)

HA!!!! sorry for the whorage, but i do require constant attension.... JK... had a good week last wwek so i'm amp'd to get my proj. rollin'

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
Hey bryan, are you and kevin going to make it down for 2k7? I'm gonna miss you two if you don't make it down. Y'all were the unofficial mascots in the HHR last year, just so you know :p Things are looking good on your end, keep up the good work and don't push yourself too hard!

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Slow66 said:
And i gotta admit, "but by not using the intercooler you are not flowing as much air into the engine" kinda puzzled me. How does the IC flow more air into the engine?

I would guess he's going on the idea that colder gasses are denser.
Based on that, at the same pressure there would be a greater mass of air getting pushed through the valve opening and into the cylinder.
I guess the cooling ability of the alcohol takes the place of the IC in that regard, though??

BTW, thanks for keeping us up on progress, it's looking good.

Last edited: