Slightly Rough Idle

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
::shrug::sounds similar to mine. I cant hear my valve tick out the back now but could before i readjusted the shims.
looks like the car is in a garage... noise will travel a LOT more then out in a parking lot or something.

Maybe its my exhaust (hyper medallion, moderatly quite, can hear more motor), but i would never consider the 7m a "quite" motor. Park next to an evo or something newer and compare...

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
grimreaper;1389982 said:
sounds similar to mine :shrug: I cant hear my valve tick out the back now but could before i readjusted the shims.
looks like the car is in a garage... noise will travel a LOT more then out in a parking lot or something.

Yes, it's in a garage with another car next to it. If you can tell, my camera pick up A LOT of sound, it's really sensitive. It's not that loud in person, so I'm more concerned about the idle. I'm guessing it either needs to be timed or needs a new coil(s). But I'm not sure.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
They rarely need to be replaced on the M Supras.

I've only had to replace them on one, and it was on the passenger side and because of heat.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Zum means it is very likely that the coils are not the problem.
Get a timing light, jump the diagnostic block per the TSRM, and set your timing to 10 deg BTDC. Then remove the jump wire and check timing advances to ~14 deg.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
jdub;1390002 said:
Zum means it is very likely that the coils are not the problem.
Get a timing light, jump the diagnostic block per the TSRM, and set your timing to 10 deg BTDC. Then remove the jump wire and check timing advances to ~14 deg.

Umm, not to sound like a newb, but how exactly do I set the timing? I've never timed a car before. I presume it's in the TSRM, lol. Could it also be that my intake manifold is dirty? It seemed that it was kinda dirty, but normal for a 20 year old car.

supra_guy

Aug 18, 2009
Illinois
Alec;1390009 said:
Umm, not to sound like a newb, but how exactly do I set the timing? I've never timed a car before. I presume it's in the TSRM, lol. Could it also be that my intake manifold is dirty? It seemed that it was kinda dirty, but normal for a 20 year old car.

Timing as in like timing belt? I don't think its a great idea doing it yourself if your new to it. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone ealse, but isn't setting the timing quite hard?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Alec;1390009 said:

It's not hard.

IG_020.gif

But if you don't have one i'd take it to a Shop or someone local who has one, and slide him a few bucks. :)

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
Zumtizzle;1390016 said:
It's not hard.

IG_020.gif

But if you don't have one i'd take it to a Shop or someone local who has one, and slide him a few bucks. :)

how much do they usually charge to set the timing?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
you jump it like checking codes, timing light has cables for pos and neg for battery and then a clamp that goes on the no1 spark plug wire. check to make sure its at the number 10 by the crank if not turn the cps till it is.

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
supra_guy;1390014 said:
Timing as in like timing belt? I don't think its a great idea doing it yourself if your new to it. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone ealse, but isn't setting the timing quite hard?

Setting the "Cam to Crank" Timing isn't hard.

Set the crank to 0 then match marks on the cams.

EM_029.gif

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
My friend tells me to start the car with E1 and TE1 connectors and if it idles better, it's the timing. Is that true?

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
But is my friend right? He says to start the car in diagnostic mode and if it idles better, then I know it's the timing. Could that hurt anything?