Slightly Rough Idle

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jumping T1 and TE1 puts the ECU into diagnostic mode...you do not want to run this as a normal configuration. Dude...just set the timing like suggested numerous times. Your idle sounds fine.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
jdub;1390315 said:
Jumping T1 and TE1 puts the ECU into diagnostic mode...you do not want to run this as a normal configuration. Dude...just set the timing like suggested numerous times. Your idle sounds fine.

But wouldn't starting it in diagnostic mode determine if it's the timing or not?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
NO how can you read base timing with out a timing light? you cant... follow the tsrm. there is no other way to verify this. seriously takes less then five mintues!

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
grimreaper;1390327 said:
NO how can you read base timing with out a timing light? you cant... follow the tsrm. there is no other way to verify this. seriously takes less then five mintues!

By listening to the engine? If it sounds better in diagnostic mode, then I know it's the timing, right?

R1GG5

Supramania Contributor
Jun 22, 2009
Huntsvegas
supra_guy;1390329 said:
This is what I am conserned about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PVyhBNmjLw&feature=channel_page

Thats how mine clicks. Obviously you can't hear it when the hood is closed, but its quite disturbing with the hood open, and if 7m's naturally do this then good lord Im going 2jz.

My god, mine sounds nothing like that, that is NOT normal. Sounds like you have valve lash to me. I have heard 7m motors that have a slight tick(like mine) but nothing like that.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
R1GG5;1390333 said:
My god, mine sounds nothing like that, that is NOT normal. Sounds like you have valve lash to me. I have heard 7m motors that have a slight tick(like mine) but nothing like that.

It's not that loud in person. Pat, does the sound get faster with RPM? That sounds more like valves to me, might want to get them adjusted. No biggie, though. My ticking sounds more like injectors, it gets faster and slightly quieter with RPM.

R1GG5

Supramania Contributor
Jun 22, 2009
Huntsvegas
Alec;1390341 said:
It's not that loud in person. Pat, does the sound get faster with RPM? That sounds more like valves to me, might want to get them adjusted. No biggie, though. My ticking sounds more like injectors, it gets faster and slightly quieter with RPM.

How do injectors tick?

R1GG5

Supramania Contributor
Jun 22, 2009
Huntsvegas
nick88;1390384 said:
When the flux capaciter turns on:sarcasm:

OOh, I completely forgot about that! My Flux capacitor busted a few weeks ago....man it was a bitch to replace! :biglaugh:

nick88

JayHall's Hero
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
R1GG5;1390390 said:
OOh, I completely forgot about that! My Flux capacitor busted a few weeks ago....man it was a bitch to replace! :biglaugh:

Yeah, I haven't heard mine in a few weeks so I think I should replace it... It will a little easier for me since my motor is out, but still an armbreaker. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Alec;1390328 said:
By listening to the engine? If it sounds better in diagnostic mode, then I know it's the timing, right?

your one of those guys that talk about it for a week and never actually test or diagnose the problem arent you? :: facepalm ::

last time, your never going to get it solved with out popping the hood and using the needed tools. Listening to it will NOT be enough, or maybe it will be for YOU?

Taco

7m powered
Jun 2, 2009
san antonio
just do the timing yourself if the idle is getting progessivly worse that means somethings getting loose. Invest in a torque wrench. A big one it will be your best friend. Check your idler pully(the one with the spring) See if it is coming loose. Check your underdrive pulley too see if it wobbles. I just went thru all this shit with mine.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Not dis-crediting Taco here all; but, I want to add to his statement regarding the torque wrench.

Remember that a big torque wrench (1/2" Drive) will NOT work on smaller nuts and bolts. Even though it may have a range of 5 lbs to 150 lbs if you try to torque a 6mm bolt to ~12 lbs with a big torque wrench, you will break the bolt.

They make 3/8" and 1/4" drive torque wrenches to accomodate smaller nuts and bolts.

Sorry for the side note, I just wanted to save some folks some heartache! :)

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
I just had a friend come over with a timing light and he said that it was fine. The only reason it idles like that is because of my exhaust system and I'm running stock cats. Also because I'm running rich.

Taco

7m powered
Jun 2, 2009
san antonio
CajunKenny;1390493 said:
Not dis-crediting Taco here all; but, I want to add to his statement regarding the torque wrench.

Remember that a big torque wrench (1/2" Drive) will NOT work on smaller nuts and bolts. Even though it may have a range of 5 lbs to 150 lbs if you try to torque a 6mm bolt to ~12 lbs with a big torque wrench, you will break the bolt.

They make 3/8" and 1/4" drive torque wrenches to accomodate smaller nuts and bolts.

Sorry for the side note, I just wanted to save some folks some heartache! :)

your right mine only goes down to 25 lbs but it goes up to 250. I bought it when my underdrive pulley wouldnt stay tight. But your right. Get a smaller one man sorry for the misinformation.

Taco

7m powered
Jun 2, 2009
san antonio
Alec;1390498 said:
I just had a friend come over with a timing light and he said that it was fine. The only reason it idles like that is because of my exhaust system and I'm running stock cats. Also because I'm running rich.

well if it keeps getting worse and worse its gotta be the timing but that makes sense too.