Re: upgrade TT set-up on 1JZ

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
OneJoeZee said:
Because ct12s are a serious pain in the ass.

What he said times infinity, plus having to buy and then keep track of two of everything over an extended project is a pain. Might be easier with an aftermarket or custom setup, not sure but it just seems simpler to go single.

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow before it's completely together and then again when it's done.

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
fstlane88 said:
What he said times infinity, plus having to buy and then keep track of two of everything over an extended project is a pain. Might be easier with an aftermarket or custom setup, not sure but it just seems simpler to go single.

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow before it's completely together and then again when it's done.

I am using a custom set-up and it should be pretty simple to keep up with. I am still undecided on the turbos yet.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
Here are some dyno's from that twin kit RJ has.

(this was when it was on my car) \
23PSI cams 272 crowers that i was testing (small core)
Only addition was cams and springs and retainers along with a DLI over the stock dyno below. I blew out spark at 23 psi as you can see in the bottem dyno
xylene mix with 94
523.jpg

23 PSI stock cams
xylene mix mix with 94
DYN4.jpg

With RJ's setup and the .5 L displacement boost this car will HAUL. Problem with my car was the lack of displacement, as you can see the turbos would move if they spooled a little faster. (which is what the extra displacement will do)

As for the k26's it's self I did lots of research the only place this turbine was used was in the sard kit's and a tractor. They are NOT the same as the 944 porsches, they have smaller hosuings, and diffrent sized wheels.

here is a pic of the kit in my car
n514675566_37457_2388.jpg

Also with the large core cams that RJ has he's going to have massive topend as well.

Last edited:

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
Really nice, actually the kit I am putting together will end up looking very similar to that one. The only difference will be the turbos of course. What is that kit rated at, as well how much lag do you feel on the street?

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
Jaguar said:
Did we ever get numbers on the upgraded stock turbos from Doc?

My "topsecret" turbotwins from MDC arrived last week and they look really sharp. :evil2:

Since I want this project to be reliable from the start, I decide to take the engine to a known European rally and race tuner, so the project is on a hold for now (holidays), but will be starting again in september.
Then the engine will be stripped and rebuild WITH the upgrade twins.

I'll let y'all know the figures as soon as the engine is up and running, don't worry!
They have a big engine teststand, so these will be the raw figures to start with.

We are aiming for 1.5 bar (= 22 psi) standard boost on the big twins and see what kind of figures will come up. :icon_bigg

By the way, I don't doubt for one sec that the setup "BIC" offers will be all he claimes them to be.
This is just another approach to the same idea.

I hope this will workout as planned as Randy @MDCMotorsports had a hell of a job building these babies and with a good result I might be able to persuay him to build me a similar spare twin set. :naughty:

Jaguar

Permanent Ban
Apr 4, 2005
SoCal
www.supramania.com
The Doc said:
My "topsecret" turbotwins from MDC arrived last week and they look really sharp. :evil2:

Since I want this project to be reliable from the start, I decide to take the engine to a known European rally and race tuner, so the project is on a hold for now (holidays), but will be starting again in September.
Then the engine will be stripped and rebuild WITH the upgrade twins.

I'll let y'all know the figures as soon as the engine is up and running, don't worry!
They have a big engine test stand, so these will be the raw figures to start with.

We are aiming for 1.5 bar (= 22 psi) standard boost on the big twins and see what kind of figures will come up. :icon_bigg

By the way, I don't doubt for one sec that the setup "BIC" offers will be all he claims them to be.

This is just another approach to the same idea.

I hope this will workout as planned as Randy @MDCMotorsports had a hell of a job building these babies and with a good result I might be able to persuade him to build me a similar spare twin set. :naughty:

Sounds good. You're just having it built to stock spec right? I don't want anything to influence the numbers. I'm very excited to see what happens. Any pics Doc?

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
Jaguar said:
Sounds good. You're just having it built to stock spec right? I don't want anything to influence the numbers. I'm very excited to see what happens. Any pics Doc?
Well, depends on what you mean by "stock specs", as there will be quite some upgrading, like the exhaust, the FMIC, the intakemani, the electronics (wideband, Profec E-01 plus emanage), Walbro fuelpump to start with, but basically we use the standard engine setup and see where this will take us in terms of reliability and performance.

I have some pics of several upgrades and a picture of my black RHD JZA70 on a Dutch forum
(see: http://www.shoarmateam.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775 for those) :icon_bigg

Last edited:

Jaguar

Permanent Ban
Apr 4, 2005
SoCal
www.supramania.com
The Doc said:
Well, depends on what you mean by "stock specs", as there will be quite some upgrading, like the exhaust, the FMIC, the intakemani, the electronics (wideband, Profec E-01 plus emanage), Walbro fuelpump to start with, but basically we use the standard engine setup and see where this will take us in terms of reliability and performance.

I have some pics of several upgrades and a picture of my black RHD JZA70 on a Dutch forum
(see: http://www.shoarmateam.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775 for those) :icon_bigg
I was meaning more like the pistons or cam. I was kinda hoping for a baseline but do what u gotta do Doc and represent over there.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Couple pics of the upgraded 12b's installed...

p674589_1.jpg

p674589_2.jpg

I'll get a better side view pic later today or tomorrow, just got back from the gym and don't really feel like moving at all. Those pics are with the stock FMIC, I've gone with a larger unit, and have hardpipes now but wanted to post those to show that you can use the stock IC piping and IC with USDM 12b turbo's.

Dyno numbers soon to come, trying to get several other issues taken care of on the car first.

~Bryan

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
suprahero said:
Jeff, those pipes look pretty dang good wrapped like that. Maybe I should do mine since my oil lines and drain lines run in between the runners. What do you think?

Your setup looks sweeeeet.................:drool:

i think your setup is an accident (oil fire) waiting to happen.... but thats just me :)

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
FastLane, I am building a twin turbo set up with GT28 right now. Where do you live at? I'd like to check out your set up.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
West Palm area...

561-329-0368 <~~~ Gimmie a call whenever man, I'll be working on the car a lot next week, trying to get various things taken care of.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
fstlane88 said:
West Palm area...

561-329-0368 <~~~ Gimmie a call whenever man, I'll be working on the car a lot next week, trying to get various things taken care of.
Cool man, I def will.