Re: upgrade TT set-up on 1JZ

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
here is my poormans TT upgrade.
GT35/40R split flang T4 DBB will spool low 3k and cost about half of that of any TT setup, easier maintenance having only 1.

I am like a lot of guys here going with the flow going single ...

Also any time you get ct12a with steel wheel upgrade or even mod ct12b to work it adds a lot of lag maybe even more then some GT35R setups.

If i had 5-6K laying around i would go for the TT upgrade of garret twins for the more V8 feel but I plan not do to much track style auto X racing in the heavy MKIII.

I am not interested in just following everyone else going single. Hey if that is what you want then fine, I want something different. This will be my toy just to have with and play with on the weekends. Just so everyone knows I am not an old man (24) but this will probably be the last import I build for a while. I am going to use this experience to build the car I got when I graduated highschool. My Grandfather gave me a 1967 Chevelle Malibu, but I had to put it together to drive it when I graduated. Since I have been in the military I left it at home while I have been all over the world. I got into imports when I was stationed in Germany and I have had fun, and always will have an import. But I have neglected the the car that I love the most, so I think it is time to start looking forward to putting it all back together. I will not bore you guys anymore with extra info, but like I said twinturbo is what I want and nothing else.

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
That is awesome, but he never said how much it cost. That guy sounds like me, twins for fun. I wouldn't mind running that kind of kit either, but need to know prices. Yeah like he said running T3 flange turbos easily replaced, upgraded, for cheap.

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
I'm having the twin rebuild done by MDC motorsports as we speak.
Reason: little modification to the engine bay -> easy build up, promising specs while maintaining the easy driving feeling of the twin setup.:icon_bigg
The specs: Ct12b steel shaft (single BB), Rebuild kit and Tdo5-16 compressor wheel.
As Jon (MDCmotorsports) stated:
"The turbos should be BAD TO THE BONE! One would estimate they would be to the effect of strapping on two mitsubishi eclipse tdo5-16g turbos".
Which would be enough for me right now.
The twins will be strapped up to the 3" Y-pipe /downpipe combo from 935 Motorsports together with a 3" RS*R exhaust system

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
supra8903 said:

Thats some cool Stuff

he could have run them using the internal wastegate's though wonder why he did not want to.

He Expects the Same Power that PICo Was getting out of his Kit. I have a Feeling that he did not get that close. because of the Y-Pipe BIC has a separate DP for both his turbos no turbulence there. But that y-Pipe.......

Still looks bad as, plus it keeps things looking stock :evil2:

supra8903

Jan 12, 2006
Latham, NY
The Doc said:
I'm having the twin rebuild done by MDC motorsports as we speak.
Reason: little modification to the engine bay -> easy build up, promising specs while maintaining the easy driving feeling of the twin setup.:icon_bigg
The specs: Ct12b steel shaft (single BB), Rebuild kit and Tdo5-16 compressor wheel.
As Jon (MDCmotorsports) stated:
"The turbos should be BAD TO THE BONE! One would estimate they would be to the effect of strapping on two mitsubishi eclipse tdo5-16g turbos".
Which would be enough for me right now.
The twins will be strapped up to the 3" Y-pipe /downpipe combo from 935 Motorsports together with a 3" RS*R exhaust system

need more info.... what should the power be like and what about lag.... also how much $$$$$$$$$$$$

The Doc

JZA70 twinpower
Aug 5, 2005
Netherlands
supra8903 said:
need more info.... what should the power be like and what about lag.... also how much $$$$$$$$$$$$
Power, that is difficult to say, as the twins are still with MDCmotorsports, so not on my car. Maybe you should ask Jon of MDC about that. I am aiming at 400+ rwhp, but HP is not my thing as I don't want to go dragracing with it. Some articles say two mitsubishi eclipse tdo5-16g hold on to about 600-700 RWHP.

LAG, yeah that is my goal, to minimize lag as much as possible, so I could do 0-60 in 4-5 sec. Of course the turbo isn't the only modification to achieve that, but I hope to have the same or less lag as stock with these upgraded twins.

Price, I am a bit causious about that, beter ask MDCmotorsports as it is there baby (or sent me a pm).

Last edited:

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
The Doc said:
Power, that is difficult to say, as the twins are still with MDCmotorsports, so not on my car. Maybe you should ask Jon of MDC about that. I am aiming at 400+ rwhp, but HP is not my thing as I don't want to go dragracing with it. Some articles say two mitsubishi eclipse tdo5-16g hold on to about 600-700 RWHP.

I am more interested in the power, but those numbers are close to what I want. I just know that I don't want to run the turbos too hard at 600-700hp.
I just watched a 3000GT dyno with upgraded turbos and I thought it was laggy. It only pushed out 515awhp because of the head lifting, but the power was so smooth and linear. That is what I hope my set-up does on the dyno nice smooth pulls, and pull straight up to 600-750.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Twin GT28rs's/ Disco Poato's are what you guys should be looking into. Dual ball bearing, and super efficiant GT wheels, even at high boost. They will spool a tiny bit (100-200 rpm) slower than the twin gt28R that I have and be easilly able to make 600-650 and possibly 700 whp max at like 30 psi. Now I get full boost 20psi at about 3800 rpm. Like I said I am willing to spilt up my turbo kit without turbos, then you could get two GT28RS's which will be a straight bolt-on in one afternoon, and your done 600+ bolt on HP!!. ATP now also makes a bigger cartidge replacent that are good fro 400+ hp each. This would be the easiest way to go abouts doing it with no hassels need trying to get parts custom made and running all around town and the internet rounding up parts. It will end up costing allot more in the end and all for an unknown result.

Ask anyone that has seen my car run or gone for a drive, its insane!!

My 2 cents....

Last edited:

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
That is exactly what I plan on doing. The problem I have is with the price of those turbos I am slowly thinking that is what I am going to run. We will see I just got my income tax done and awaiting on the EFT=$$$ for my Supra.

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
I am actually going to be sending everything over to Peakboost and have them do it for me. I bought one of their first top-mount kits for my Evo, so they said they would hook me up on prices and building the kit. I will be in touch here and there while I slowly get the parts together. I am waiting on my manifolds right now, then buy the swap by the end of this year. It will be running completely stock untill I get the twin kit fabbed up.

85?

600hpFTW
Dec 21, 2005
Hawaii for 4years
Hey thanks to ANDRES GOMEZ for my manifolds everything went pretty quick. I just recieved my manifolds and am pretty happy with them. Slowly but surely this kit is going to be put together and I will be posting updates as much as I can. I will post pics after I find my USB cable for my digi cam.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
85? said:
Hey thanks to ANDRES GOMEZ for my manifolds everything went pretty quick. I just recieved my manifolds and am pretty happy with them. Slowly but surely this kit is going to be put together and I will be posting updates as much as I can. I will post pics after I find my USB cable for my digi cam.
Cool dude, I am glad you got them. I can't wait to see the beast once it's done.
Good Luck

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I'm finishing up installing a set of upgraded 12b's on my 1JZ. 60 trim T3 compressor wheels in both turbo's with a custom Y-pipe/DP, using stock ported manifolds. Should make ~500 to the tires, at 24-25ish boost. Stu Hagen w/ a 2J, ported head, and 264's made ~530ish to the tires.

I'm going to eventually step upto 272's, and port the 1J head, should satisfy me until I have the desire to go single. Oh yeah just want to add.... I WILL NEVER PUT TWO TURBO'S ON ANYTHING AGAIN, UNLESS I'M PAID TO DO IT. But they should be fun and best of all to an untrained eye...they'll look stock, hehe.