PS3 Launch in under 2 months

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Doward said:
SoD, you gotta tell me where you're getting launch titles for PS3 that look better than current Xbox360 games?

There's not a single game out right now (including Oblivion) that has FULLY utilized the 360's potential.

The GPU of the 360 is more powerful than the PS3s. The CPU of the PS3 is more powerful than the 360's. The 360's core logic is a HELL of a lot easier to program for - hardware means precisely shit when you can't coax the full potential out of it.

NOTHING in ANY of the screenshots you have posted, look SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 360's current crop of games.

Where do you come up with 30% utilization? (oh yeah, on the subject of the Cell - you realize that 1 SPE is ALWAYS held back for the Linux-based OS, right? You can not release it. Also, the OS keeps another under control, and can pull it whenever it wants to. No programmer worth his/her salt is going to honestly program for the PS3, and assume he always has control of that 2nd SPE. Realistically, you don't have 7 SPEs to play with. You have 5. 5 SPEs + 1 PPC != significantly more CPU power than the 360.)

Considering something like 73% of statistics are made up out of one's ass, I'll have to assume you got the 30% figure from there, as well.

The PS3 OVERALL has a more powerful CPU subsystem (7spe + 1ppc) than the triple-core PPC of the Xbox360.

The xbox's GPU system is faster, and more efficient, than the PS3s.

When you actually look at AVAILABLE RESOURCES - they are damn near equal.

;)

I read the 30% thing on qj.net.

and yes, I do I think games for the PS3 look better then the current 360 games.

When did I say the 360 was using all of its potential? I just implied that its been out a year and should be using far more then PS3 already.

Also, I remember hearing the same bullshit about how much hard the ps2 was to program then the xbox/gamecube but there were plenty of might impressive games that came out for it... don't under estimate programmers or the cell.

Oh, and just for the record, Halo is a scrub FPS.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
SupraOfDoom said:
I read the 30% thing on qj.net.

and yes, I do I think games for the PS3 look better then the current 360 games.

When did I say the 360 was using all of its potential? I just implied that its been out a year and should be using far more then PS3 already.

Also, I remember hearing the same bullshit about how much hard the ps2 was to program then the xbox/gamecube but there were plenty of might impressive games that came out for it... don't under estimate programmers or the cell.

Oh, and just for the record, Halo is a scrub FPS.
I remember all their graphical claims for the ps2. I'll wait till I see actual games to pass judgement. I also remember hearing it was harder to code for the other systems than ps2, also mainly GC because of the format of the discs.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
November 9, 1988, thats your birthday... hmm you were too little play any good FPS's at their peaks! It's always the youngins or casual gamers who like halo.

Real FPS's like Doom, Quake 1 and 2, kinda 3, Duke Nukem, Blood, TFC, HALF-LIFE, UT's, Jedi Knight II, Counter Strike those are FPS's... I was playing these along with Starcraft and Diablo on Kali.net all the fucking time.... anybody remember Kali? Oh and I would list AvP if it wasn't so fucking inbalanced!

I won't take anyone who argues about Halo seriously unless they've played all of these multiplayer! I'm telling you, find a copy of Jedi Knight II, LAN it for a few hours with your good friends and then try and tell me Halo is a good FPS, its average at best... not only that but it stole its idea's from every other FPS ever and people think its some crazy innovative FPS. Halo is such a slow paced boring game... and FPS's are my favorite genre.... I even tried to like it.... GHEY! My opinion but yeah... I probably have more time logged playing FPS's then you have playing video games.

Although, I have a sort of weird baisedness about games... for example, when WCIII came out, I could not even get myself into because I knew starcraft was better.... now yes WCIII was newer and looked way prettier but, SC was still a better game. It's like going from Tekken to Mortal Kombat, it just can't be done seriously.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
well, like i said its all your opinons, which i respect. and the thing about not knowing about the real FPS...im sure i wouldnt know, in fact i wouldnt really care much, ive played those games and they are alright, but alot of things have changed. you being yourself like those games because they came out at your time, i like these games because they came out during my time...you get what im saying?

oh yeah have you guys seen the trailer for Halo Wars?! OMFG go dl it on Xbox Live Market place! its in the bringing it home section of dems and game videos.

edit: ive never seen so much detail before!!! omg its awesome, it maybe a cinematic trailer for most of the part, but its pretty damn clean...holy crap i just jizzed myself.

Edit again!: i found it i found it!!!!

http://www.halowars.com/

AND ANOTHER EDIT!!!: http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=bungieatx06

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Youngins and casual gamers are the only ones that like Halo?

First FPS for me was Wolfenstein3D. Apogee software. Moved to Doom, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Quake, and the list goes on.

I'm 23.

I like Halo's story. I haven't enjoyed a co-op game this much since Quake 2. I think Halo's success is why a lot of people just want to hate it.. and that's cool, it's one man's meager opinion ;)

If you want to bring up the PS2's difficult to program for architecture, I'd just like to invite anyone to play RE4 on the Gamecube, and then play it on the PS2.

The Xbox was the most powerful system on paper, but the only game I've seen that PROVES it, is Ninja Gaiden, and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Overall, the Gamecube has had consistantly better graphics, game to game.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
To the guys that plan to buy two-three PS3's and selling them: I'm betting most if not all of the retailers selling the PS3 will only allow you to buy one system per party.

-Matt

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Doward said:
Youngins and casual gamers are the only ones that like Halo?

First FPS for me was Wolfenstein3D. Apogee software. Moved to Doom, Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Quake, and the list goes on.

I'm 23.

I like Halo's story. I haven't enjoyed a co-op game this much since Quake 2. I think Halo's success is why a lot of people just want to hate it.. and that's cool, it's one man's meager opinion ;)

If you want to bring up the PS2's difficult to program for architecture, I'd just like to invite anyone to play RE4 on the Gamecube, and then play it on the PS2.

The Xbox was the most powerful system on paper, but the only game I've seen that PROVES it, is Ninja Gaiden, and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Overall, the Gamecube has had consistantly better graphics, game to game.
It is Halo's success that makes me hate it, success on a game thats not near a great fps, why wouldn't hate it for that? I hate anything thats over-rated.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Gt-1.jpg

Gt-2.jpg

THATS RIGHT FERRARI IS FINALLY IN!
Gt-4.jpg

Gt-3.jpg

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
SupraOfDoom said:
" The cores really place the power in the hands of developers. The Xbox 360 has 3 running at 3.2GHz each, the PS3 has seven apparently. So theoretically the PS3 is faster, much faster, which means it can do a lot more complex things. These days complex things refer to physics calculations and graphics operations. But it's all about how to use them as the power can only be exploited by using the cores together. It's a bit like having several complex puzzles to solve with several clever people available. If you give each person one puzzle will they solve it quicker than if you give all the people one puzzle at a time? The better developers will make their code efficient, meaning theoretically better games.

1. The PS3 will be more complex to develop for, which might mean that the first wave of games will be better on the 360. Having said that, the PS3 line up looks a lot more impressive right now. We'll have to wait and see what Greg plays with on the floor at E3."

"PS3 can perform twice as many raw calculations per second"

2. "PS3 will be able to output a higher-resolution"

3. "Sony's machine is unique in that it offers two HD outputs, for the ultimate in multitasking. Game on one, FAQ via the Ethernet connection on the other. They don't want us to move ever again, do they? Can I have fries with that?"

60 GB vs what, 20? Sony win

4. Bluetooth Controlers, and 7 of them for that matter vs .... standard wireless.

5. "Make no mistake: the PlayStation 3 is utterly superior in graphics to the Xbox 360 from what has been shown."

Blue-Ray 50gb hd quality ... vs dvd .... boo
"Will the media storage type be a factor in the quality of the games? Since PS3 is owned by Sony and BLUray is Sony’s next high definition storage medium, the PS3 games will be stored on the BLUray discs which hold approximately 54 gigs. The Xbox 360 games will be stored on Double Layer DVDs which store 9 gigs.

Obviously the BLUray discs can store a lot more data, but at the current stage of game development, any game developed will fit just as well on the 9 gig DVDs, so this is not a major factor but one that may come into play later on."

6. "The XBOX uses a custom ATI processor with 48 graphics pipelines and the PS3 has a custom NVIDA graphics processor with an estimated 24 pipelines. The numbers are misleading because the PS3 piplines are more powerful than the XBOX pipelines. In the end the two different graphics processors will deliver about the same amount of power, we can expect to see impressive results from both sides."

"Both systems are clocked at 3.2 Ghz. The PS3 can handle 51-billion dot product operations per second and the Xbox can handle 33.6."

ps3 1000based nic, vs 360's 100

I can look up more on request. Multipule sorces. In the end, PS3 has far more potential. K thx bye!

Sorry, I have to do this... Pre vios post numbered to make things easier.

1. E3 happened and Microsoft hit hard. Microsoft's press conference was amazing, especially with Cliffy B. walking out an opening with Gears of War. Just amazing... Sony had the power point snooze fest conference.

2. Just announced at X06, with a software update over Xbox Live the 360 will support 1080p natively.

3. No dual output as stated at E3 this year.

4. The PS3's Bluetooth wireless controllers have no advantage over the 360's wireless controllers, and seven controllers on one TV, no thank you.

5. Pure bull...

PS3 prerendered
kz2.jpg

Xbox 360 actual in game screenshot
1159384044.jpg

Sorry for the big pics

6. Claiming the PS3's graphics processor is just as good as the 360's is bunk. The 360's uses unified shader technology, the PS3's does not (it's almost like DX10 vs DX9). The 360 has way more potential in the graphics processor alone than the PS3 does.

And just quoted from Ubisoft regarding development for the 360 an PS3 for Assassins Creed...

"While the PlayStation 3 and 360 versions of Assassin's Creed are virtually identical, Raymond did say that on the 360 the team is putting a special emphasis on achievements. The hardware also allows for improved threading, which will improve even further the crowd AI."

Lastly BIG reasons for me to keep my 360

Halo 3
Halo Wars
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Gears of War
and others...

All in all I'm cool with the PS3. Some of the games look good to me, but they haven't sold me on the system yet. I have no doubt that the system is powerful, but I don't think there will be any really noticeable difference between the systems for me, or really anyone else for that matter.