power from a NA 7m

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The GE is fairly highly tuned from the factory so the "usual" mods don't yield the expected results on them.

The rest of the shit talkers in the thread STFU it was a serious question take your elitist attitude and fuck off somewhere people will think you're clever.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
IJ.;1013597 said:
The rest of the shit talkers in the thread STFU it was a serious question take your elitist attitude and fuck off somewhere people will think you're clever.

I was thinking of saying that but decided not to since I thought I was the only one who was feeling this way. Well said :D

Also I remember a dyno of a 7MGE with I/H/E doing 169 RWHP, and the owner said the car wasn't up to it's fullest. There's a picture of it somewhere...it was in an MK2. Not bad.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I'll be sure to post the dyno of my 6MGE here to show you us low class 12 valvers can have fun too :D

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
sean210;1013629 said:
none of these number are anywhere close to what I was thinkin.
Maybe my dreams are to big:nono:
Not really. If you have the time and money, it's just that like IJ said that it takes a lot more than simple bolt on's to make 200+ on a NA. There are a few of us non-conformist around (refuse to turbo), that like the NA for what it's worth, and it's been said several times, "if you want big power, go turbo".

sean210

Father to Be
Nov 26, 2007
indianapolis
I'm not looking for a big N/A, I have the turbo just need everything else to
do a N/A-T. I just Thought that it would have more then what everyone
is saying. Either way I'm Happy with it for now.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
I.J.

Any idea if US dynos and Oz dynos give similar numbers for rwhp??

200rwhp seems like a lot since the toyota claim about 190hp at the flywheel from new.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
the 7mge is a good motor,its just that there is only so much you can do to it to reach a decent hp level.
going from the flywheel through the rest of the drive train are essential mechanisms that rob hp.you can try going with an aluminum ds,replacing the lsd fluid,repacking the bearings,yada yada yada...
the only real way to make crazy hp is to go turbo. that will open up alot more avenues of add-on's that will increase hp.
truth sucks,but thats the deal.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
AJ'S 88NA;1013640 said:
Not really. If you have the time and money, it's just that like IJ said that it takes a lot more than simple bolt on's to make 200+ on a NA. There are a few of us non-conformist around (refuse to turbo), that like the NA for what it's worth, and it's been said several times, "if you want big power, go turbo".

Im a conformist, but i loved every minute of my n/a.If it didnt cost so much to make the power i wanted i would have stayed n/a. As you can see i still like to browse this section :)

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Weight.

Is also a crucial factor in upping the hp.

They're right the standard bolt on things don't do much alone but they start adding up.

I bet alot of people here learned the hard way that you can't just acquire a car and start modding it out.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
n/a's arent that bad... let me give you an example.

Im at a stop light today, a mazda speed 3 lines up (the turbo one!)
we both roll away and then slam the gas, i pull in front of him, a good car and a half, shift into 2nd, and im still a car lenght in front of him, get to the top of 2nd and im STILL in front of him! and then my girlfriend yells at me so i stop... but i was like wtf? did this mazda speed 3 really just go THAT slow? it was the most hilarious moment of my day... and then my car got hit later on tonight... wtf?

mods:
intake
gutted cat
1-piece steel driveshaft
e-fans
no a/c or p/s

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
Rennat;1013792 said:
n/a's arent that bad... let me give you an example.

Im at a stop light today, a mazda speed 3 lines up (the turbo one!)
we both roll away and then slam the gas, i pull in front of him, a good car and a half, shift into 2nd, and im still a car lenght in front of him, get to the top of 2nd and im STILL in front of him! and then my girlfriend yells at me so i stop... but i was like wtf? did this mazda speed 3 really just go THAT slow? it was the most hilarious moment of my day... and then my car got hit later on tonight... wtf?

mods:
intake
gutted cat
1-piece steel driveshaft
e-fans
no a/c or p/s

He wasn't trying.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
supramacist;1013695 said:
Weight.

Is also a crucial factor in upping the hp.

They're right the standard bolt on things don't do much alone but they start adding up.

I bet alot of people here learned the hard way that you can't just acquire a car and start modding it out.

No no no and NO .....

Even when you add them up you're still NOT going to see big results as the motor is pretty damn good as is....

To make a big leap in NA power takes some serious coin and smarts, both of which tend to be in short supply here.

Personally I'd take a Mint NA over some flogged out rusty PoS GTE any day of the week.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
IJ.;1013902 said:
No no no and NO .....

Even when you add them up you're still NOT going to see big results as the motor is pretty damn good as is....

To make a big leap in NA power takes some serious coin and smarts, both of which tend to be in short supply here.

Personally I'd take a Mint NA over some flogged out rusty PoS GTE any day of the week.

Amen to that.^^^

I love the GE simply because I don't have to wait for the turbo lag to go away to have fun. There's a hell of a lot less to worry about in the engine bay, electronically, you're not constantly worrying about an IC fuck up, etc.

Just like IJ said, you need the money and the smarts to make big power, NA. Some of us have one or the other, others have neither, while even fewer have both.

The concept of making power with an NA isn't complicated, by any means. If you look at the big picture it will look very frightening with everything you need to do to make power. If you break it down into the very basic pieces it will appear very simple.

So, look at things in their simplest form, then branch out.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
If you wanted good gains from a 7MGE you'd probably have to make it match the new cars of today. Let's look at Honda for example, they can rev to heaven, they have VERY high compression ratio (some as high as 11:1), and a good flowing head. So you'd probably have to get high compression pistons and port your head, and maybe get new gear to make the car handle revs and rev higher.

Well, that's what I think. I enjoy my car right now and see no need to go turbo. Oh well :)

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
We'll all just keep looking past Ij and Jdubs amoeba and lack of smarts comments.
Cause that's condusive to this environment and all.

I used to would have thought that tact was requirement for your position. I mean it is for us one celled organisms that just shit talk all about the place.

Then supramania just states that your thoughts and views are not in line with theirs and all of that.

What a joke.

Edit: For those of you that get tired of being verbally abused and disrespected and are tired of being made to feel small.

[strike]http://www.watchmebeanasshole.com/[/strike]

Check out this forum.

Because there is a difference in being a moron and being a beginner.

Last edited by a moderator:

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Ma70.Ent;1013932 said:
If you wanted good gains from a 7MGE you'd probably have to make it match the new cars of today. Let's look at Honda for example, they can rev to heaven, they have VERY high compression ratio (some as high as 11:1), and a good flowing head. So you'd probably have to get high compression pistons and port your head, and maybe get new gear to make the car handle revs and rev high.

This is what I did. With the stock internals there is really no way to get more power out of it without a turbo. The bolt on mods were hardly worth it, though I do think a better exhaust is a must have for the MKIII.

So I rebuilt the motor with 10.5:1 pistons, ported and polished the head, and dropped in some 264/264 cams. I also dumped as much weight off the rotating assembly as I could. Now it drives like a completely different car. I haven't had a chance to dyno my car yet but it pulls MUCH harder than stock. Now I have to change my gearing, that open 4.30 diff is killing me.

If you want power from an NA that's really the only way to go. It's a lot of work but it really wasn't all that expensive. Granted I'm not going to break any HP records here but it definitely is fun to drive. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
benchwarmer;1014027 said:
This is what I did. With the stock internals there is really no way to get more power out of it without a turbo. The bolt on mods were hardly worth it, though I do think a better exhaust is a must have for the MKIII.

So I rebuilt the motor with 10.5:1 pistons, ported and polished the head, and dropped in some 264/264 cams. I also dumped as much weight off the rotating assembly as I could. Now it drives like a completely different car. I haven't had a chance to dyno my car yet but it pulls MUCH harder than stock. Now I have to change my gearing, that open 4.30 diff is killing me.

If you want power from an NA that's really the only way to go. It's a lot of work but it really wasn't all that expensive. Granted I'm not going to break any HP records here but it definitely is fun to drive. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

Beautiful.

It's all about what the individual is looking for from their ride.

That does sound hot. Any pics?