Ok, I guess its my turn

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
Custom motor mounts for ~$40?!?! You better believe it. I got the idea from Yannis's twin turbo build-he is using these mounts to mount his 7M in him MK2. Here are the specs on the mounts-Energy suspension polyurethane rear transmission mounts for GM models(vetts, camaros, etc.) Heres the pic of the package, the part was ordered from Summit-around ~$20ish a peice(you will need 2). (This is only for 86.5-88 style square mounts-you may have to be more creative for the 89+ stlye.)

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
Impreza,the hood is painted(tinted)-lol. As you guys may have guessed, I didnt finish by the 15th of this month-I was slacking. More info on the motor mounts now. Stock mounts compared to the Poly mounts-for a while I thought they would not fit....

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
now the first step-grind down the 2 humps on the bottom of the mount to make it sit flush like the one on the right. Then take the torque plate that comes with it, and drill your hole for the bottom bolt that secures the mount on the crossmember. The holes are offset-so use your factory mount to make sure it lines up.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
you also have to grind down where the bolt head will sit for the mount. I found that a dremel works best for this.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
close up of the torque plate-the hole I drilled was 7/16 wide to match the bolt. Dont go bigger than this-you want the bolt to fit tight.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
now onto the installation-jack up the engine and remove the factory mounts. Then install the torque plate onto the subframe and tighten down the bolt and nut. Its a good idea to mock up the entire mount to make sure it all fits properly first, and to mark where you will have to tighten the torque plate on the subframe.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
Only after you finish tightening the torque plate, loosely install the mount onto the bracket on the engine using the center mounting hole on the mount. I forgot to mention that you want to do both mounts at the same time, so you can lower the engine evenly.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
Now you can bolt the mount and the torque plate together, and lower the engine completely.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
In the end, you will need 2 mounts, 6 extra 7/16th bolts, 6 7/16ths nuts, a 7/16ths drill bit, an afternoon to work with, and basic handtools. The mount should prove better than the factory mount with a little more of a rough ride. The mount should reduce the engine flex-I cant budge the engine at all with these mounts-i could a little with the factory ones if I pushed hard enough. I havent driven with the mounts, but the MK2 guys using them say they love them and will never go back to stock. Good enough for me-if they dont work for some odd reason, I can always go back to stock. And for those that are wondering-the mounts do come in black also. Let me know if you have any questions.