Oil Advice from the autozone employee

Feb 1, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
lewis15498;1410794 said:
Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part people who know what their talking about pursue a better job than selling auto parts for minimum wage.
As far as not hiring someone thats over qualified is common management practice. This is because training is considered an investment. Im not gonna spend ~$150 to supply a guy with a uniform and train him to pour coffee when he has a college degree, because as soon is he is offered a better job, he is gone which makes the return on my investment near zero.

Of course. I mean, Im only 20 and trying to get through college, so its currently good enough for the time being.

Also keep in mind that there are people out there that DO enjoy working at a retail parts store (or have at least come to terms with it). I work with a guy that has been with Advance for almost 14 years and he loves what he does. He is also a damn automotive genius. Even though he barely makes ends meet he still shows up everyday, and a lot of people count on him to...

Even in this world full of douche nozzles, there still are a few good people out there.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but this really pissed me off.

I went in today to buy some gear oil. I asked the guy how much my transmission needs and he tells me " this is for gears not for a transmission" I told him it was for my r-154 stick shift tranny that takes 75w-90 gl4 or gl5 and I got the right stuff. He tells me that autozone will not take responsibility for putting fluids in the wrong area, Autozone employees are highly trained to help any and all problems.

I ignored that and asked if he can find out how much does my tranny take. He turns the computer so I can see it and it says my tranny is full at 1.6 qts. WTF???

I told him I wanted to buy 4 qts just in case. He kept insisting that I dont need that much, the computer is correct, autozone wont take responsibility for any damage done to my car blah blah blah.

I ignore it once again and asked him if he had any ngk v power sparkplugs, he tells me he has ngk ix iridium, I told him I was looking specifically for ngk v power. He says " but I have something better" he walks away and brings me back these piece of shit autolite walmart plugs. I headed straight for the door! "HAVE A GOOD DAY SIR" he yelled!

I like kragen but I feel really uncomfortable when I go to the one in my area because the people are such assholes, I ask for something and they huff and puff, they act like they are so smart and so arrogant!

SupraCobra

Feb 4, 2009
Melbourne, FL
jdub, I'm going to buy oil tomorrow morning and I was wondering how much and of what kind you would recommend since I just replaced the crank and piston rings in my bone stock 7mge. I have not added any oil yet and was wondering how long I should wait until i do my first change? BTW I live in Florida and drive the shit out of it. :)

BTW I find your Oil info fascinating! Keep it up!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
sparkplug619;1429691 said:
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but this really pissed me off.

I went in today to buy some gear oil. I asked the guy how much my transmission needs and he tells me " this is for gears not for a transmission" I told him it was for my r-154 stick shift tranny that takes 75w-90 gl4 or gl5 and I got the right stuff. He tells me that autozone will not take responsibility for putting fluids in the wrong area, Autozone employees are highly trained to help any and all problems.

I ignored that and asked if he can find out how much does my tranny take. He turns the computer so I can see it and it says my tranny is full at 1.6 qts. WTF???

I told him I wanted to buy 4 qts just in case. He kept insisting that I dont need that much, the computer is correct, autozone wont take responsibility for any damage done to my car blah blah blah.

I ignore it once again and asked him if he had any ngk v power sparkplugs, he tells me he has ngk ix iridium, I told him I was looking specifically for ngk v power. He says " but I have something better" he walks away and brings me back these piece of shit autolite walmart plugs. I headed straight for the door! "HAVE A GOOD DAY SIR" he yelled!

I like kragen but I feel really uncomfortable when I go to the one in my area because the people are such assholes, I ask for something and they huff and puff, they act like they are so smart and so arrogant!

MA_011.gif

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
SupraCobra;1448930 said:
jdub, I'm going to buy oil tomorrow morning and I was wondering how much and of what kind you would recommend since I just replaced the crank and piston rings in my bone stock 7mge. I have not added any oil yet and was wondering how long I should wait until i do my first change? BTW I live in Florida and drive the shit out of it. :)

BTW I find your Oil info fascinating! Keep it up!

Any good straight 30W HD oil. Read this:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48993

WalMart SuperTech oil and filters will work fine for the initial break-in.