Oil Advice from the autozone employee

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
lewis15498;1373611 said:
Dude, thats kind of racist. so what if there is english and spanish on the box, and I've yet to see a spanish only label there. If you go to a supermarket and the wet floor sign says caution and ciodado, do you turn around an leave?
Either way your beef is with the manufacturer who printed the box, not autozone the merchant. We live in a multilingual society, your gonna have to get used to seeing things like this. If you want to live in a society where english is the only language spoken, move to England.

I don't have a problem with multi language products/signs, as I said its very common here. I do have a problem with spanish only packaging. Its also I think directly the fault of the auto zone store, as they choose to Only stock spanish label products and not the multi lingual stuff like every where else.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
iwannadie;1373615 said:
I don't have a problem with multi language products/signs, as I said its very common here. I do have a problem with spanish only packaging. Its also I think directly the fault of the auto zone store, as they choose to Only stock spanish label products and not the multi lingual stuff like every where else.

How many times has this happened to you? Your post made it sound like it was one item that was only in spanish at 2 diff stores and then you refused to go there ever again.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
lewis15498;1373619 said:
How many times has this happened to you
iwannadie1373619 said:
I thought maybe it was that one isolated store, went to another and the same thing.
Your post made it sound like it was one item that was only in spanish at 2 diff stores
iwannadie1373619 said:
However, the stuff was spanish only no english what so ever.
and then you refused to go there ever again.

Yes, I do refuse to shop there again. Why should I when I can't read the labels of the stuff I'm there to buy?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
CTsupra;1373550 said:
5.5 quarts is "full" according to the owners manual. It has been proven that the oil pan can hold an additional quart without oil being anywhere near the crank. Adding an extra quart will not hurt anything and will help keep the pickup from being uncovered during high speed cornering, or maneuvering.

Myself, I always ran seven quarts of GC with a purolator pureone filter on a stock oil system.

Also, what kind of dipstick do you have? You should have the "newer" style with the black handle. It's a lot easier to read.

Speaking of Dipsticks -- I've got to transfer the guide inside the block to my new motor...how do I get that bastard out of there? Is it covered in the TSRM?

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
It's unfortunate that autozone is one of the only places to get GC, and we have to give them business because of it. I can't stand going to any autozone, as the people they hire all seem to be idiots.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
nosechunks;1373598 said:
Not to hijack, has anyone even thought of measuring dipstick length to see how long from the top of the dipstick tube to the bottom of the rotating assembly so you will have an accurate dipstick and know how much you can put in before it has adverse effects?

One could even change the dipstick to a conventional flat one that is easier to read with knowing the right length to "full". Even a measurement from the pan rail to the bottom most part of the rotating assembly would be good to know.

I was thinking of doing this But already installed the pan, im gonna see if i can figure something out anyway. Whats the closest the oil level could come to the rotating assembly without possibility of being whipped?
9 litres

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
rayall01;1373735 said:
It's unfortunate that autozone is one of the only places to get GC, and we have to give them business because of it. I can't stand going to any autozone, as the people they hire all seem to be idiots.

Look at it this way, you know what your doing, you go there for parts not advice. They could have only car savy itelligent people working there but they would have to pay them alot more. Higher payroll costs, mean your gonna pay more for the same part. I'd rather save the money.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
iwannadie;1373625 said:
Yes, I do refuse to shop there again. Why should I when I can't read the labels of the stuff I'm there to buy?

Because it was one time. You already know what the part is, what do you need to read? If you ordered big macs every day, and one day it came in a box that only had spanish on it, would your refuse to go back to mcdonalds?

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
KicknAsphlt;1373705 said:
Speaking of Dipsticks -- I've got to transfer the guide inside the block to my new motor...how do I get that bastard out of there? Is it covered in the TSRM?

I'm not sure about the TSRM. It's held in the block by an o-ring and they are usually so worn out that it just pulls out with minimal force. Get a new one for the block.

IJ.;1373738 said:

Shit, I guess I'll run eight quarts next time!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
CTsupra;1373760 said:
I'm not sure about the TSRM. It's held in the block by an o-ring and they are usually so worn out that it just pulls out with minimal force. Get a new one for the block.

9 is where it's just touching the crank, while it's running there's at least 1 Qt upstairs, not sure if I'd run 8 though as accelerating or braking heavily might just slosh enough that's over the joke... ummm I mean baffle plate/tray up into #1 or #6 and cause some smoke as it floods the Oil rings (this is only a maybe)

Have to laugh when I see people freaking out at +1 :biglaugh:

I ran 12+ Qt's in my 7M ALL the time.
(8qt group a pan + 3qt accumulator +1qt)

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
CTsupra;1373760 said:

Nah, this thing's in there. It's the piece that extends down next to the crank. The other half pulled out with the dipstick when I yanked the motor apart...lol. I've got brand new O-Rings anyway, so changing it won't be an issue.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hvyman;1373564 said:
lolzzz.go to the full mark on the dipstick and then add a qt. that way when you go around turns the oil doesn't slosh to the side and the pump doesn't not pick up any fluid. our pans are huge so they can handle it.

This is what I do...close enough. When you have a remote filter, larger cooler, etc the fill quanity in the TSRM is no longer valid.

SrBigbutt;1373582 said:
So you went 7500 miles between oil changes on a used car you just bought?? :aigo: Thats if he actually had changed it 2500 miles before you bought it.

You can run GC 8,000 miles easy with a filter change at 4K. I've seen it go twice that when analysis was used to determine TBN.

lewis15498;1373619 said:
How many times has this happened to you? Your post made it sound like it was one item that was only in spanish at 2 diff stores and then you refused to go there ever again.

iwannadie;1373625 said:

Lewis - Keep in mind he's in Arizona (as am I)...it is very common to go into stores in certain areas of the valley and everything be labeled in Spanish. Kinda sad IMO for them to do that in a country whose main language is English.

At minimum, they lose business...if there is any racism going on it's not by the English speakers in the stores he speaks of in Arizona. I refuse to shop there myself for the same reason...I'd like to be able to read the labels.

Enough of that...belongs in Off Topic anyway.

IJ.;1373738 said:

7 quarts here ;)

I seriously LMAO when I read this. I used to go into AZ and ask the 1st guy I saw "I want to run synthetic, which one would you recommend in a 0W or 5W-30?" They would show me just about every oil except GC, which I followed with "is this a PAO or ester based synthetic?" At which point I got the famous AZ blank stare.

I would also got "what car are you going to run a 5W-30?" from these guys. Oh man you should have heard all the reasons that that "thin oil" is going to "blow your turbo", "ruin your pistons", etc, etc.

It was pretty funny you walked out on the guy like that...I used to screw with them for a bit ;)

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
jdub;1373795 said:
You can run GC 8,000 miles easy with a filter change at 4K. I've seen it go twice that when analysis was used to determine TBN.

I don't doubt that you can go 8,000 miles between oil changes. But if I were to buy a used car. (A Supra at that) Wouldn't changing the oil be one of the first things you do. Atleast I would. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I would like a fresh start and know when my maintenance intervals should be.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Of course! I change all the fluids. I was just throwing that out there concerning GC (or any other PAO or ester based oil).
If I knew the guy I bought the car from, I'd be more likely to trust them.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Mk3runner;1373996 said:
These oil threads are lol.

This one is...an excellent illustration of how "oil myths" get started and then somehow become "fact".

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
This thread is LOL. Its a given that Autozone sucks. Thats whey they have nice websites, so you can find parts online and say. Give me this!! I know you have it!! I fight myself from taking the keyboard away from them quite often.