Need Serious Advice ( semi tempted to sell mk3)

Larry_A

You don't matter
Apr 7, 2005
SoCAL
OneJoeZee said:
get out now before the car drains you. If you aren't even at least a little bit mechanically inclined, a 20 year old specialty car isn't really for you.

Not to mention you are in school full time and working. When it breaks and you need it back, you'll have no choice but to pay out the ass.

Or buy a cheap beater.
I only read up to Joe's post, but our dear Joe speaks the truth. Finish college, then buy whatever you want. Until then, get something that won't keep coming back for more. Full time school & 2 jobs equates to not trying to learn how to keep a MkIII on the road, period.

I speak as a father, because I am one.

Good luck.

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
While I value your words of wisdom I feel like if you love it, you gotta bleed for it mayb this is a dumbass mistake but I gotta find that out on my own, an dplus it can be a bonding experience with my pops.

Larry_A

You don't matter
Apr 7, 2005
SoCAL
Brady said:
While I value your words of wisdom I feel like if you love it, you gotta bleed for it mayb this is a dumbass mistake but I gotta find that out on my own, an dplus it can be a bonding experience with my pops.
Right-e-o then; but to add, love is blind.

If your dad is good with cars, then brakes, susp, clutch, & engine [fundamental head/block] should be no prob. The intricacies associated with [platform-specific] EFI are the bane to most. Visit the Cygnus site to get a feel of which I speak.
CygnusX1

Good luck...and I mean it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I know it's frustrating to say that you have never even changed your oil, and then everybody keeps saying do it yourself. But, you are a member of a forums where at least 50% of us entered here the same way or close. With the help of these forums, you can do anything you want. If you are not interested in doing any maintanence, it's gonna be a very expensive car to drive.

As for your current situation.................I'd definitely get a second opinion on price for that work. It's probably not a job that you are ready for just yet. A stock clutch kit new can be had for under $250, and the clutch master about $50. Not long ago, I paid $175 to have a tranny and clutch swapped out. So, $500 would be more reasonable if you paid somebody to do it.

Then once it's running again, you should decide what to do with the car. If you keep it, you can't just drive the piss out of it, and expect to keep driving it for long periods of time without working on it. Either sell it, and only lose a little of the money you have invested. That amount will be dwarfed by what you could end up dumping into it, if paying to have it fixed constantly. Or, decide to learn a little of what is here at Supramania, and do some of your own work. Start small, and gain confidence with each success. It's not as hard as it looks. People are more than willing to help if you are putting forth a little effort.

EDIT*********** Damn I hate when I post and then see that page 1 was not the only page! Going to read the rest now.

Last edited:

Turb0Lover

Its coming back
Nov 23, 2006
Phila.PA
Keep it no matter what. When my supra went on me I didnt know what to do. So I pick up another car. Everyone told me to get rid of it and I didnt. Just stash it somewhere and get to it later. -Brady <(me, not you)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
:werd: ^

That's the best advise ever! Everybody thinks these are race cars that can take a licking and keep on ticking. Your Supra will treat you like you treat it! Make it a dependable car.........then you can make it go fast!

Edit......I have now read the whole thread, and I like your progress!

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
cool of you to read through all 8 pages on this stuff man

I think I'm gonna go ahead and replace the hydraulic stuff from either driftmotion or from the dealership

thanks

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
just start with the little thing
change the oil is a good start:naughty: then try some other small stuff
before you know it youll be taking the whole dam car apart

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Brady said:
Ok sorry to beat a dead horse here guys but is Aisin a trustworthy partsmaker as opposed to straight toyota oem?

yes it is, but there are sum things u needs to get from the dealer.

what are u planning to get from aisin?