Need Serious Advice ( semi tempted to sell mk3)

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Brady said:
well shit man how hard can it be?

i work on computers for a living i build them and take them apart too

i figure this will force me to get into something i always thought i would get into

id rather be a more mechanically inclined 18 year old if it means savings thousands in the long run

i dont know how hard it is myself, i just started doing all the work myself.
i can only think its not that hard.
So many people here usta be newbs when they first started, they just dug right in the supra and now there experts.
so i can only guess ill be the same way in the next couple of years
good luck

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
Yeah there's plenty of dudes who live in the bay. I'm in Stockton and I'd be down to come down and help out. Only an hour away, give or take, depending on what part of the Bay you're in.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
It sounds like you could do it if you really want. The important thing is like others have said, get a beater car to get you where you need to go while you are working on the supra. I think you will find some good friends local that will help out.

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
OneJoeZee said:
get out now before the car drains you. If you aren't even at least a little bit mechanically inclined, a 20 year old specialty car isn't really for you.

Not to mention you are in school full time and working. When it breaks and you need it back, you'll have no choice but to pay out the ass.

Or buy a cheap beater.

I agree, my brother is in the same position. He is a student and saved up everything he had to get a 3000gt. It was great until he started having to fix things, it adds up quick. If you can't work on stuff yourself and don't have deep pockets, this probably isn't the car for you.

That doesn't mean you can't learn to work on it though. You'll enjoy the car much more when you know more about it. Having a backup beater is probably a great idea.

A clutch kit shouldn't be over $200. As for the master cylinder, a rebuild kit is like $7 from autozone.

EDIT:
oscolivar1 said:
So many people here usta be newbs when they first started, they just dug right in the supra and now there experts.

That's right. Just dig in and you'll eventually learn.

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
no not yet, dont know where the best place to buy them is yet

to tell you the truth i still not 100% convinced its the clutch that is the source is the problem

could jus be the slave and master cylinders, my mechanic said the master is leaking

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Brady said:
well shit man how hard can it be?

i work on computers for a living i build them and take them apart too

i figure this will force me to get into something i always thought i would get into

id rather be a more mechanically inclined 18 year old if it means savings thousands in the long run

You sound just like me, Computers were my thing then I bought this car and turned it into the same thing. I was self taught on those, took em apart and put em back together. THen I did that with the supra. Its a fun process. Sounds like youre about to get some help too. GOOD LUCK

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
After thinking about this more... the steps you should take considering your supra is the only car you have access to are

1. buy a beater

2. Learn to do maintenence yourself.

Working on your car can be very frustrating at times but also very rewarding.

It makes it alot easier to tackle new work on your car yourself when you know you have another car you can use.

A month or two ago I had to replace the stock twins on my car. I took the friday off work because I didn't know how long it would take as I had never done the job before. I knew beforehand it would be very involved though. If I didn't finish on time, I could have gotten a ride to work but I don't know if you would be able to do that.

I still wouldn't mind paying for labor sometimes but if you're obviously getting raped in the ass by a shop, find another way. Don't let them hustle you.

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
well, i'll tell you my story to.

i bought my mark3 supra awhile ago for $2400, ended up having to take it to the mechanic & paid nearly another $1000 on repairs. i had to take the car in yet again yesterday to be serviced & just picked it up a little while ago. $447.04(new timing belt & some engine seals).... i still need to get the starter replaced, the rear windshield wiper stopped working, wiper fluid not coming through lines(must be a clog somewhere) & god knows what else is wrong that still needs fixin'. on top of that the overall condition of the car(physically) is about "fair" & i'm sure it's gonna be a pretty penny to fixup the exterior & interior.. and originally i wanted to modify the car & as i see it it's gonna be a looooong time before i'll be able to(financially).. but hell, this Supra was honestly the 1st car i've had that i've genuinely liked.. or more so, loved... and even though i'm in a bit of a financial pickle atm myself, i still feel like i don't want to give up & get this thing where i want it to be.