Need Serious Advice ( semi tempted to sell mk3)

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
I had the same problem with my car, replaced the slave cylinder and worked flawlessly. I also went ahead and changed out the master cylinder because i heard that its usually better off to change them at the same time because they usually have the same amount of miles on them.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i wouldn't sell the car if you have already invested that much money into it, b/c if you were to, MAX you'd get is around $3000, maybe not even.. just find a cheap DD and fix up the supra as you go along.. that's what i'm hoping to do with mine, good luck though

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
When the Clutch master cyl. is leaking the fluid usually ends up on the inside of the fire wall running down from just below where the clutch pedal mounts. Check there and feel to see if the carpet in the driver's side footwell feel oily.

Welcome to the community!

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
SkyHawk Ecks said:
I'm heading to the bay on friday to fremont. We should meet up then.
w00t. What the hell are you going to Fremont for? I live here, there is NOTHING to do here lol. Hey lets have a meet! We'll fix Brady's clutch, and then we can go and rebuild my rodknock-ing engine! :p Lol, kidding.

I think shop rates around the are here are just a lot higher than the rest of the country, its not just a few mechanics trying to rape people. Don't forget its a lot more expensive to live here (and lease space for a shop). I paid 2300 for my HG job, and it was the cheapest one I found from a shop I actually trusted (which I don't any more). I'm learning the Supie will rape you of your money, so if you really can't afford to pay or have the time to do it yourself, you really might wanna look at a cheap, reliable DD.

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
Just going to visit a friend and possibly get drunk. But before that I'm down for a mini meet to help this guy out! Plus there's going to be a midnight meet with a few high powered cars in Fremont. I know Kyle and Boris are down.

spoolme

supra4umsfreak
May 9, 2005
Roswell, NM
the supra isnt that bad of car..i have never spent a massive amount of money to fix something that had to be fixed. the head gasket and i wanted to do it right and spent about $1k on parts...then the clutch..but i was gonna make power so i bought a spec 3 for however much and only paid $200 to get it put in, but then something broke in there that cost $100 for part and $200 for labor again. 2 weeks later.
alternator...power steering line..nothing big.
But ive spent close to $8k on my car not including the $3400 price of the car and you cant really tell...hahaha

You will get it worked out man, dont give up. you will love this car for a long time. i hate when people say they are unrealiable cuz they are just as realiable as any other Older car. And you have to expect things to go wrong once and a while so for me i dont think of it as to much of a big thing...but i do all my own work with my brother 95% of the time.
Good luck, hope you get it fixed.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The first thing I'd try to do is replace the slave cylinder and master cylinder, and replace the clutch line with a techna-fit SS while you're at it (40.00 bucks). Replace the cheap things first, then worry about the more expensive shit if that doesn't fix it. You can get all three of these things on ebay, and they are the OEM makers to boot (Aisin FTW!). I say your clutch is fine, this is a cheap fix (150.00 tops) ;).

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
driftmotion looks more like the 1jz resource

I called up my local toyota dealer and they said they could order all the clutch parts for around 260 and the slave and master cyl for <200, am I right in thinking thats a good deal?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
Ok so here I am again, I guess after bleed #4 and readjustment of my push rod the supe shifts fine again but I do definately have a leaking master cylinder that I plan on replacing.

Heres the aftermath though, my mechanic adjusted the push rod I guess to have the clutch grab WAY higher than it used to, he says that will preserve the clutch and tranny. Is that jus bullshit? I kinda like it where it grabs lower.

ANy input?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Doesn't really make a difference as long as you are easy in the releasing of the clutch. I highly recomend replacing both master and slave cylinder at the same time bro.