Need Serious Advice ( semi tempted to sell mk3)

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
So I'm the noob with the '90 white targa 5spd turbo

bought the car for 3200

paid 2500 for hg + valve job + timing belt + major tuneup

now my mechanic says my clutch master cylinder is leaking and i need a new one as well as a new clutch estimate : 1200 for both

total expenditures : $6900

and its not like once I do this itll be the end of it.

i work 2 jobs 7 days a week making 12/hr

i am 18, and a full time college student too

what the fuck would you do in my shoes

I LOVE the supra but what should i do?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
ouch, $2500 should have gotten you a stock rebuild...

if you love the car, keep it. if you cant afford to fix it, pick up a beater, and wait until you can afford to fix the supra.

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
1200 to get a new clutch and change the master cylinder? That's a rip off if I've ever seen one. Source out the parts yourself, and then try another shop.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
man 1200 is the estimate for a new clutch master cylinder and a new clutch and labor!! BS..... find a local SM membr near you if he can help you out. A new Stock Preassure plate is like 65.00, post a thread that u need a Stock disk( i know ppl have them laying around that they will let go for dirt cheap), and resurface your flywheel which isnt that expesive, and a new master cylinder i for got. in parts alone should costs 200ish

is your car bone stock?

if you really wanna keep the supra:
do the work yourself and you will save thousands. \
try to see if u can find a another car as a DD and save up to fix the supra.

Last edited:

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
stan said:
centerforce stage 1 clutch kit is $390, master cylinder is $55. DIY it and you would be a happy man.

QFT

Dude I didnt know ANYTHING when I got thsi car a year ago. 4 Months later it threw a rod. Ask these guys I asked a billion questions on here, plenty of threads, but I did the entire rebuild myself, and the cars at 3000 miles from that 3 months later and its running great. On top of it, Im confident enough to work on other supras around town with almost ANYTHING (and I have alot lately)

It helps dude, its extremely money saving effective if u read the TSRM and learn. I know ur busy busy busy and I was too, but there is some time.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Get a TSRM and start doing it yourself man. There are step-by-step procedures on this site on how to instal clutches, not to mention those of use who know how to do it and will tell you what you need to do to get it done right ;). I suggest buying a beater car to drive around while you fix this one. Trust me, they tend to be down a lot if the previous owners didn't take good car of them (not to mention the actual age of these cars. How many vehicles do you see nowadays that are +20 years old still around on the streets and running strong like a lot of the MKIII's do?).

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Brady said:
can someone point me int he direction of a good place to buy quality mk3 parts

Look at our vendors area from the main page man. Also, go to the dealership see how low u can bring them on just the parts. I got my brand new OEM Oil Pump when I was doing a rebuild for employee price bc I haggled a little. See what you can find. Also post in the WTB section for hte parts, someone might just have what u need.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Brady said:
ive never even changed my own oil :p

get out now before the car drains you. If you aren't even at least a little bit mechanically inclined, a 20 year old specialty car isn't really for you.

Not to mention you are in school full time and working. When it breaks and you need it back, you'll have no choice but to pay out the ass.

Or buy a cheap beater.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
^^
agreed buy a beater car as a DD.

The supra will break down one way or the other.....more problems will exist as time goes by.

so get a beater car, and start learning parts of the car and how they work.
owning a supra comes with the resposibility being able to do your own work on the car

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
well shit man how hard can it be?

i work on computers for a living i build them and take them apart too

i figure this will force me to get into something i always thought i would get into

id rather be a more mechanically inclined 18 year old if it means savings thousands in the long run