MK5 Supra News - not what you expect

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I know this has been talked about a ton since 2001 and this is not completely technical or about the MK3 but I thought everyone would enjoy it.

It seems Toyota may have finally given in. Here is a picture from Road and Track. It is expected to be a V-8. :dunno:

Click the link below for the picture.

Picture of new Supra

THE COLUMN SAYS
THE SUPRA IS BACK!
Toyota can't be thrilled standing in the shadows while Nissan enjoys the incredible success with the 350Z and Infiniti G35 Coupe. Therefore, our sources tell us to expect an all-new fifth-generation Supra very soon, looking like this computer-generated image. The curvy coupe will be smaller than the recently shown 2-seat Lexus LF-A supercar. Plan on V-8 power and rear-wheel drive. - Mike Monticello.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
smagnotta said:
this is not completely technical or about the MK3

you said it yourself...moved...

also there will never be another SUPRA...maybe another toyota sports car but it wont be called a supra and it will most likely be badged under lexus... deal with it and move along....

EDIT: and most certainly dont expect ANY turbo cars from toyota...if anything they will use superchargers...turbos to toyota is moving 10 years back in technological advances.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Why wouldn't Toyota play the Supra card? There is such a HUGE market out there that would go for a new Supra. If they didn't use the name they would be shooting themselves in their colective feet.

Like it or not I like some of the elements of that car. I will be the first to say that it shows potential.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Off topic - yea sorry about that guys. I was too lazy to see that there was an Off-Topic subject area. I know: "you newbie"...

I really think Toyota will launch a new Supra eventually and they will move from the inline 6 to either a V-6 or a V-8. Turbo will move to supercharged.

Badged as a Lexus, it will be way to expensive for mainstream. I'm sure Lexus will come out with a super sports car but it will cost 6 figures to own one. Toyota really has nothing to compete with the new 350Z and G35. The new Celica? Toyota is phasing out the Celica and the new MR2.

Toyota does make V-8 motors, of course, and anything with forced induction has been supercharged in the last 12 years.

A new MK5 has been tossed around a lot in the past 5 years with no results, so who knows.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
esc said:
it's it's not an I-6 and it ain't turbo'd...it ain't a Supra
That I-6 needs to be 3.0L. Gotta have the Targa option, bulletproof transmission on the turbo model, and weigh at least 3200 lbs, too!

IF it had a Twin-Turbo UZ engine, that would be sweet, but I wouldn't call it a Supra. There are some traditions that you just can't break.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
esc said:
it's it's not an I-6 and it ain't turbo'd...it ain't a Supra

For a long time during the production run of the MKIV, people thought it would get a V-8, but it never did, I could see Toyota doing that for the next one. All-aluminum V-8 is pretty good... it probably wouldn't be Turbo though. :(

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
That image is one of the worst I've seen..I think its one of the first too, and most common from the Jap magazine that mentions the 350Z.

Toyota has the capability to make a TRUE MkV...but I guarentee you they wont. They still have 1JZ-GTEs and 3S-GTEs over there, but no new "advances" in either. I was stoked to learn that both the 1JZ and 2JZ are still alive and well, and surprised that even the 1G lives as a 1G-FE VVTi. The single turbo 1JZ VVTi is still in production, and in addition there is also a direct injection N/A version...same with the 2JZ. 1JZ-FSE and 2JZ-FSE, meaning that the 3MZ didnt kill off the JZ series after all (gladly).

1G-FE, 1JZ-GTE and 1JZ-FSE: http://toyota.jp/mark2blit/dynamism/engin/index.html
2JZ-FSE and 1JZ-FSE: http://toyota.jp/brevis/dynamism/engin/

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I just hope NO other Supra comes out.
Because if it does, it makes the MK3 even more "obsolete."
People think of the newest models as being the latest & the greatest, for computers, software, bikes, everything, and yes--cars too.
Having a model that is 2 generations back is less appealing to me than having one that is 1 generation back.

Many would not admit what I just said, but I bet many do agree.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Yes, very true about the MK3 becoming obsolete. I don't care. My car has a production sticker of September 1986. It is almost 20 years old and is a classic car -- an 80's car.

But remember that the MK3 is a unique car, they don't make em anymore and a lot of the parts have moved to "discontinued" in the past year (the rear carpeting, interior wiring harness) or they do have it but not in the color you need. You need it in gray and the only thing left is in burgandy.

I also totally agree that if it isn't an I-6, it isn't a Supra. A V-8 and supercharged just means it's like a Ford Mustang Cobra - they went American on us. :wuteva:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
smagnotta said:
Off topic - yea sorry about that guys. I was too lazy to see that there was an Off-Topic subject area. I know: "you newbie"...

I really think Toyota will launch a new Supra eventually and they will move from the inline 6 to either a V-6 or a V-8. Turbo will move to supercharged.

Badged as a Lexus, it will be way to expensive for mainstream. I'm sure Lexus will come out with a super sports car but it will cost 6 figures to own one. Toyota really has nothing to compete with the new 350Z and G35. The new Celica? Toyota is phasing out the Celica and the new MR2.

Toyota does make V-8 motors, of course, and anything with forced induction has been supercharged in the last 12 years.

A new MK5 has been tossed around a lot in the past 5 years with no results, so who knows.

mark my words...toyota WILL NEVER badge another car "supra".

do you honestly think toyota gives a flying rats ASS what nissan or anyone else for that matter is doing with their sports cars? NO...they dont...WHY? because toyota has more cars sales then most of the other car companies COMBINED. toyota has what people want.....reliable, decent looking cars, for a decent price. nothing will change that.

if a new sports car comes out which there probably will be...it will be something VERY close to the LF-A that has been tested on the N'Ring a few times already. and it WILL be badged as a lexus and go for prob around the 50-100k mark...engine is a variable but it WONT be a turbo...

finally a car that is badged a lexus will have a lexus style name...meaning letters and numbers...therefore NO supra.

the end

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
The thing about a turbocharged car [especially a turbo 3.0L I-6, which is a great middle-man in the street driven engine world] is that it can help you have the best of both worlds - power and fuel economy. You aren't going to suck down the fuel unless you are "getting on it", unlike a supercharged engine, or hell, a V-8 period!

They should never badge another car as a Supra. IdealSupra said it.
Really, the MkIV cannot be improved upon, and a new addition would just be a disappointment to all of us. Give me a car that looks like my MkIII with a new generation engine and the V160/V161 transmission [or A340E] - let's just say a 3.2 - 3.5L inline6 and call it a 3JZ-GTE.

Anything large and sporty from Toyota/Lexus will be badged as a Supra by all of the magazines and kids, because it's a ricer's wet dream and the "legend" of the MkIV and a possible new generation is all some people can dream about. Let it die. The MR-2 and even the old Celica are both having their chapters in the book of Toyota closed on them.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I'm sure we havent seen the last of the Celica. It's been around since the early 70s or earlier and Japan will still see them. The MR-2 unfortunately has died, although again Japan will still see the MR-S. Otherwise I agree completly...the MkIV can practically be seen as perfect, and you cant go anywhere but down..