MK5 Supra News - not what you expect

T

The Cleaner

Looks like a DB7. I like it except the light configuation.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
ugly ugly ugly and even less likely to be made because toyota announced they are pulling the plug on their sports cars. litteraly they stopped caring for sports cars if you want one go to infiniti and lexus. toyota is going to cease production of its celica and mr2 in 2006. its not rumor its fact. toyota doesnt make enough $$ in the sports car dept.
the rumors of another supra are pretty much hopeless. the supra was a great car and i dont think they could ever go back to the age where turbocharged imports ruled.
in a few years our cars will be like the small blocks of the 60's.
old news in a world of fuel economy.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
americanjebus said:
toyota is going to cease production of its celica and mr2 in 2006. its not rumor its fact. toyota doesnt make enough $$ in the sports car dept.
The only company that DOES make enough $$ in the sports car department is GM with the Corvette. Usually "sports cars" are used for fun and halo sales.

Also, it was 2005 that they were last made, MR-2 was 99 IIRC. The third gen is the MR-S.

Toyota is infact coming out with a sports car, its just not going to be a Supra. In addition to the LF-A, I'm sure another will come out with great mileage, possibly a hybrid.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea no shit alternate hybrid models are like a huge trend now. it reminds me of pokemon and the word "sweet" everyone does it.

im very interested to see what new "sports car" toyota is going to make. im beting its gonna have a damn vvti engine.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
americanjebus said:
yea no shit alternate hybrid models are like a huge trend now. it reminds me of pokemon and the word "sweet" everyone does it.

im very interested to see what new "sports car" toyota is going to make. im beting its gonna have a damn vvti engine.

Um...every engine designed after 98 got VVTi and all of the other ones got it eventually...of course its going to have VVTi. More torque and gas mileage...

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
drunk_medic said:
That I-6 needs to be 3.0L. Gotta have the Targa option, bulletproof transmission on the turbo model, and weigh at least 3200 lbs, too!

IF it had a Twin-Turbo UZ engine, that would be sweet, but I wouldn't call it a Supra. There are some traditions that you just can't break.

So you're sayin my 2.5L I-6 ain't a Supra?!?!?!?!

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
That car is NOT a supra in any way...

I mean hey, why not copy the 350GT ( G35 coupe') a little.....LOL....

That car is NOT going to sell if it resembles that.

I vote on progressing the mk4 look....maybe even add a cue of mk3. It looks like they tried to actually bring back the 2000gt a littlebit in that rendering.

Maybe its a trial to see how/what kind of reactions they would get back at the Magazine stand????

-Jonathan

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
it sounds like they have three options. ditch the power plant, then its not a supra...keep it, then its a supra with a new body :3d_frown: ...or don't make it at all. I think anything they do we'll be dissapointed.
if anything they should do minor cosmetic changes, give it more power, and put it back on the market.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
esc said:
So you're sayin my 2.5L I-6 ain't a Supra?!?!?!?!

Some people will make any excuse to argue.

Simply put: less displacement would appeal less to the American AND Japanese public who would be in the market to buy such a car. Would you buy a "new Supra" if it came with a 2.0L engine, just as the older 2.0GT model did from Japan? No, I bet you wouldn't.
All of the other Japanese companies have upped their displacement -
Subaru from 2.0L T, 2.0TT, 2.5NA to a 2.5 T for it's STI.
From 2.4 to 2.8 to 3.0NA&TT, then 3.5NA for the Z cars
The DSMs have stayed the same
The Skyline has even gone through many engines over the past two decades, from a 2.0,2.5,2.6 to a 3.5L, now offered in the G35 "Skyline".

Last edited:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Orion ZyGarian said:
yes, neither is the MkII or MkI with a 2.6 and 2.8 :rolleyes:

Ouch.... I need to start giving rides in my 82, I think all of you 7mgte people would learn to respect the 5/6mge a little bit more. I mean... Don't hate on us because we don't blow headgaskets, spin bearings, or aren't super tempermental when it comes to pretty much every aspect of the engine (i.e. If everything isn't at 100%, 5/6m's don't fudge up).

But, about the MKV, I don't think it looks all THAT bad. Sure it's not a "Supra", but wont the price of the MKIV's drop enough for some of us to get a shot at owning one? When we get a high-res pic, or a few actually, I think a better descision could be made about them. I heard they were going back to the 22RE's for the MKV, but maybe I was wrong. :icon_neut

Look at the MKII in my sig, tell me thats not sexy.... You know you want one. :p

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
drunk_medic said:
Some people will make any excuse to argue.

Simply put: less displacement would appeal less to the American AND Japanese public who would be in the market to buy such a car. Would you buy a "new Supra" if it came with a 2.0L engine, just as the older 2.0GT model did from Japan? No, I bet you wouldn't.
All of the other Japanese companies have upped their displacement -
Subaru from 2.0L T, 2.0TT, 2.5NA to a 2.5 T for it's STI.
From 2.4 to 2.8 to 3.0NA&TT, then 3.5NA for the Z cars
The DSMs have stayed the same
The Skyline has even gone through many engines over the past two decades, from a 2.0,2.5,2.6 to a 3.5L, now offered in the G35 "Skyline".

jesus christ it was a fucking joke

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Ouch.... I need to start giving rides in my 82, I think all of you 7mgte people would learn to respect the 5/6mge a little bit more.

No no no, you've got it wrong, I was defending you, it was sarcasm :D

Idealsupra said:
hell if you want to be technical the 7m and the 2jz arent 3 liters either... more like 2.9 liters :D

I thought 2JZs were like 2997ccs? I know the 7M is actually 2954....3 liters my ass! :wuteva: I feel like I was jipped off .05 L :p

I think engines should be rated to hundredthes of a L, so like the 7M is 2.95 instead. It describes it better. Hell last I checked fox bodies were 4.8, not 5.0!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
But, about the MKV, I don't think it looks all THAT bad. Sure it's not a "Supra", but wont the price of the MKIV's drop enough for some of us to get a shot at owning one?

Bah.. I don't want a MkIV - I just want it's engine, brakes, and maybe tranny. LoL

MkIII body - just look at the car, then drive it, then look at it again. Maybe an outsider wouldn't agree, but just about everything about the cars is beautiful.

2JZ engine - just about bulletproof, huge aftermarket, huge dollar-per-HP up to BPU, then the sky and your bank account are the limits.

Either turbo gearbox - they are both insanely robust. R154 for up to BPU, then I was thinking about going Getrag before a single turbo upgrade, because let's face it: if you can afford a 2JZ swap AND a single turbo conversion, you can afford a getrag and clutch.

..and a Torsen diff to help put it all down.