MK5 Supra News - not what you expect

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I will admit, I always thought the MKIII's were, well, turbocharged probes-but remember, this is before I owned, or rode in one... But after riding in one, they weren't so bad. After thinking about buying one seriously, they're kinda cool. After buying one without an engine, back to being not so bad. After getting it running right and then blowing a boost hose first time out, peice of crapp. Fixing the prob and going on a month prob free in warm weather with the targa off... heaven.

I'm sure that all of us, being Supra owners, we're gonna love whatever generation/year that we own at that point in time. But I will say, I probably shoulda switched to mkIIISupraman18... I never thought that day would come. Not remembering much about Supras coming out when I was 6, or whatever, Maybe people thought that the MKIII's were ugly?

Damn my posts need a point...

Ne0z

Apr 2, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota, United States
they can indeed improve upon the supra... now i personally think that with as perfect an engine as the 2jz-gte was... why not take that engine.. keep the thing, and put it into a car that doesnt weight so damned much... beef up the 2j a bit outta the box, throw it in a lighter chassis with better suspension than the mkiv.. and hell, ur ready to roll

L

lanky189

this was posted on classic-celica.com

it opened my eyes a bit.

Supra_2000GT.sized.jpg

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
^^^
lanky nice pics i see know why it must not be called a supra.
what about a straigh 8, that would work and integrate the MKIII and MKIV and some of the 2000gt just like they did with the new rustangs they look nice.

drunk_medic said:
Bah.. I don't want a MkIV - I just want it's engine, brakes, and maybe tranny. LoL

MkIII body - just look at the car, then drive it, then look at it again. Maybe an outsider wouldn't agree, but just about everything about the cars is beautiful.

2JZ engine - just about bulletproof, huge aftermarket, huge dollar-per-HP up to BPU, then the sky and your bank account are the limits.

Either turbo gearbox - they are both insanely robust. R154 for up to BPU, then I was thinking about going Getrag before a single turbo upgrade, because let's face it: if you can afford a 2JZ swap AND a single turbo conversion, you can afford a getrag and clutch.

..and a Torsen diff to help put it all down.

and man im with u on this one. thats why ill problably never by an MKIV they dont suite the engine thats in it, they have to much of a wussy look. MKIIIs just look mean but beautifull at the same time.

L

lanky189

um..you do realize tony that the white car pic'd is a Toyota 2000gt... right?

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Until they actually build production versions and start selling them, I don't care.

The Auto-Industry is all about profits. Celica's and MR-S' are being killed because of their downward sloping sales. With America's infatuation with the car-like SUV, SUT, SAV, XAV, TAV, BLAH BLAH VEE or whatever you want to call it, it simply killed even further the rather impractical nature of a sporting car. Cars like the G35 and the 350Z are built in low volumes comparitively to say the Ford F150. The GTO was a sales flop, but could have better days ahead with 400hp under tis hood. Mustang is the only oddity, as it seems to have a deathgrip on it's cult-like followers. However, with the ever-increasing popularity of the "legendary" pony car, dealers are trying to suck more money out of you to own what basically boils down to a parts bin car with a nostalgic body. The Grand Touring car segment has a smaller audience now than it did 10 years ago. It's just the ever changing world of the industry. With Toyota recently taking over the #2 spot behind GM and ahead of Ford (I think) as world's largest auto manufacturer's, look for them to be playing a sure bet. They might have an ace up their sleeve, or they might produce a vomit-inducing dud like the Aztek. Toyota has a reputation as a safe, practical builder of cars, and a sporting car flagship could make them or break them. I mean Corvettes are great cars, but the rest of the lineup with the Chevy badge is severely lacking. The question I ask is: Is that what Toyota wishes to emulate? I guess I'll wait and find out.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
they proabably want to pull the performance out of toyota for a while until buyers come grobbling back and buy the first thing they decide to put out there, from what they are doing they are either bored w/ sports cars or just want a clean slate to put something realy competitive out there. i like the pic bob has, except the 30inch wheels.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
That picture was from somewhere else awhile back, just a very good photoshop...based off of the tC even I think. Unfortunately, theres just as much a chance of that being the next Supra as an MkIV re released with no real changes

It is however, the best rendering of an MkV possibility I have seen yet.

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
i like the one from the celica site, personally, i think it would sell, shit, i see tons of 350zs and rx8s all over the place priced to compete, these would blow those away.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
As good as bringin' back the supra name may sound, it will make our much loved cars feel less superior, if ya know what i mean. It could easily take away some of the glory of owning a supra.
Just my $0.02.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
trydrew said:
As good as bringin' back the supra name may sound, it will make our much loved cars feel less superior, if ya know what i mean. It could easily take away some of the glory of owning a supra.

No bad. :slap: i think it will make our cars more popular.