MickyG's MX-73 to 7M-GE Swap

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
NashMan said:
dude your green arrow looks like a pennis

u my friend are a strange strange man, I would have said they looked more like glasses but each to their own. :icon_razz

(_(__)///////D looks more like a penis :biglaugh:

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
This Weekend:

More not so fantastic news. Got all the pistons out and discovered 6 was on the verge of being spun (unless my definition of spun is different to reality - hey, it happens). The rest were either heat deformed and full of deposits, or just full of deposits. The stuff on the bearing surfaces looked a lot like copper. I thought it was rust at first but upon closer inspection, it really does look like copper. No idea where it'd come from though. Perhaps it's a composition of a few metals that have combined under the heat/oil/pressure environment of the engine.

Either way, I'm starting to wonder if this is still going to be an affordable rebuild, given the items that will need to be milled/replaced.

So far the list is:
  • rod bearings
  • cylinder bore/hone
  • crank machining (or polishing at least)
  • O/S Pistons
  • Rings (oversized or otherwise)
  • plus any head work that needs to be done

I'd also be silly to assume the main bearings are going to be re-usable (in fact, I never assumed that'd be the case and probably would have replaced them even if they were spotless).

This might not be cheap, to say the least!

As always, your thoughts are welcomed!

Pics:

Attachments

• no6mangledbearing.jpg
    no6mangledbearing.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 14
  • rodwear_nobearing.jpg
    rodwear_nobearing.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 7
  • no6bearingsoutside.jpg
    no6bearingsoutside.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9
  • no6bearingsinside.jpg
    no6bearingsinside.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 12
  • no6journal.jpg
    no6journal.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 8

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
A few more of the groove worn into the rear of the crankshaft from the rear main seal, some of the "good" bearings (no shots of the only one that wasn't heat stressed, deformed or had deposits), pistons, and crank.

Attachments

• wornrearmain.jpg
    wornrearmain.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
  • bearingdeposits.jpg
    bearingdeposits.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 11
  • heatstress.jpg
    heatstress.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 8
  • allmypistonsinarow.jpg
    allmypistonsinarow.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 14
  • pistonless crank.jpg
    pistonless crank.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 13

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
That's an awesome offer Ian! What's CNC bench time cost these days? ;)

You reckon the groove is more of a problem than that rod pin on the crank, or the scuffing on the rod and cap?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I keep thinking all this stuff is crazy expensive. Couple of quick questions to set me straight:
  1. Do you have to grind all rod journals down at the same time or can you just do one?
  2. Is there a typical cost I should be expecting on this sort of work or does it vary like everything else?
  3. What sorts of questions should I be asking potential machine shops to sift out the good from the bad ones?

Sorry for the n00b questions but in this case, that's precisely what I am! Ian, I know you've got your favs and my gut tells me they're not going to be the cheapest - still I'd take your advice very readily when it comes to this stuff!

Anyone else has any experience here, please let me know.

TIA

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Been trying to clean that garage out for months now. I'm afraid there's not much else to get rid of! Still, you never know...

If I'm not mistaken though, isn't there a few items resembling a car attached to that 7m-gte? :)