MickyG's MX-73 to 7M-GE Swap

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Gotcha. Well then at the very least, I'll need the connector that plugs into the cruise ECU. I can splice wires into that.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Pics from today (and a few descriptions)

Head came off, noticed 1,2,5,6 on the gasket where all blown. Also noticed a fair bit of rust in the water jackets but nothing I haven't seen before on a motor that's been run without antifreeze/anticorrosion in the coolant (happened on the cressida as well).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
There! And yes, Allan was distracting me. Tough to edit really big pics so you can only include relavant stuff, and have someone trying to get you to think about going turbo at the same time! And putting forth a very nice argument too!

Oh, more pics coming...

Last edited:

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Continued...

Also noticed the water passage on number 4 was almost totally obstructed.

One of the exhaust valves (left one in the pic) appears to have been stuck open due to a rusty bit of metal bonding to the valve seat (although it's difficult to say whether that happened before or after the motor was removed, as there was no carbon on it).

I also noticed a strange "bump" for lack of a better term, on the gasket at the front of the engine, exhaust side. I saw a corresponding depression on the head side and started to get worried (see head pics and look to left of ex valves at the end of the head). I became even more concerned when I realised the depression was corrosion and gave way to my screwdriver test. A few quick looks at Ian's brand new head pics calmed me down when I realised it was just a water jacket that doesn't go through the head gasket. Phew!

Cylinder crosshatch pattern was still quite obvious so no bad wear or anything I could see.

Here's pics in the order I just described:

Attachments

• waterjacketobstrution.jpg
    waterjacketobstrution.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 15
  • exvalveobstruction.jpg
    exvalveobstruction.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
  • odd hole.jpg
    odd hole.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 8
  • odd hole open.jpg
    odd hole open.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 16
  • cylinderwalls.jpg
    cylinderwalls.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 31

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
The deformed fire rings are very interesting as they're all backwards, like there was force from the outside of the combustion chamber that blew the rings in! Very odd. Can anyone explain that one?

Yeah, the block looks really good and even the head doesn't look all that bad. I'm wanting to check the surface for flatness but am having a really hard time finding a place that stocks "precision straight edge" tools. I was almost going to just try using an alloy level I've got and then realised flatness is not something that a normal level will be built for!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Sorry about the lack of updates. Haven't really done much over the last few days so nothing to report of any great importance.

So even though it's boring, here's what I've done so far:

Still ripping apart the busted up old 5M motor so I can eventually get the block home to play with. I'll be using it as a test bed for drilling the front dipstick hole. I'd rather make mistakes on an old block than ruin a good one! So far, I've removed the HD bolt (motor is so seized that I had no trouble getting it off with the block sitting on the ground) and the torque convertor. Still need to get the flywheel off, then it's on to the fun stuff - main and rear covers, bearings, and finally crank. By then, I'm hoping the block will be light enough that I can chuck into the back of the car and take it home! I'm anxious to see what a destroyed bottom end looks like when torn apart as this is a prime example.

As for the good motor, I've purchased some plastigauge and plan to do some measuring over the weekend, as well as cleaning some parts up. I'm also going to have a look at how much I'll need to do for the block and head surfaces (with the help of a straight edge).

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
That's what I keep telling myself but honestly, I've just not been feeling up to doing much in the garage lately and with it being cold (even in the garage) it's probably just as well that I don't make myself even sicker!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Tonight:

Thought I'd check out the no1 and 6 cylinders as I'd not looked at them previously. Uh oh... 1 looks not so good and 6 appears to be fine.

I got the head gasket off after some gentle persuading with a flat screwdriver (don't worry, didn't scratch the block). No pics of that though - you've all seen your fill of blown gaskets, I'm sure!

And lastly, a pic of the cressie bay!

Attachments

• no1cylinder.jpg
    no1cylinder.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 27
  • no1again.jpg
    no1again.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 13
  • no6cylinder.jpg
    no6cylinder.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 14
  • testsubject.jpg
    testsubject.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 31

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Anyone think no1 looks as bad as I do? It's still smooth but I don't like the way it looks at all and am hoping it'll be taken care of by a good honing.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Nope, as near as I can tell, they're just rust coloured "discolouration" for lack of a better term.

Hey, how'd you change the font colour on your name?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
OK, ignore that last comment. I can feel the marks with my fingernail. I've got the motor tilted crank side up at the moment and it's a bitch to try and turn it without getting filthy so I can't be specific at the moment. I'm about to head out for the evening so filthy isn't an option. Tomorrow it will be though!

It definitely is noticeable with a fingernail though. I take it that's not a good thing?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I re-rotated the block - man that's a pain, you've got to hold the front of the motor and pull up, while trying to rotate the handle on the back, very dirty and not very easy!

So from what I can see, there's a very faint mark around the top of the cylinder (below the carbon ridge) that looks very much like the compression ring (that's the corrugated one, right?). I don't know if you can see it in the pics so I might take a few more or recrop the originals (not what's posted).

Either way, it's not so much the rusty coloured parts I can feel with my fingernail, there's actually scratches on the bore. I don't think they're terribly deep but definitely deep enough to feel with a nail.

Last edited: