maftpro is working

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
drjonez said:
probably one of the biggest developments since the elbow eliminating DP....

are you kidding? its the best thing since mac and cheese :)

thanks again to the continous efforts of bob and adam.

im dying to know tho, what is full advance under boost?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
dbsupra90 said:
are you kidding? its the best thing since mac and cheese :)

:icon_bigg :icon_bigg

dbsupra90 said:
thanks again to the continous efforts of bob and adam.

np. glad i can help!

dbsupra90 said:
im dying to know tho, what is full advance under boost?

wish i could tell you- the brown car is quite sick. it does run, but quite badly. the bit of + press i did see was somewhere around 17 degrees of advance....sounds like it's as we expected- lots of room for improvement.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
wish i could tell you- the brown car is quite sick. it does run, but quite badly. the bit of + press i did see was somewhere around 17 degrees of advance....sounds like it's as we expected- lots of room for improvement.

What boost psi were you running when you observed this? The stock ecu is mapped to 12 psi where the fuel cut is if I understood Reg correctly and 16 psi or alittle more if he removes this. 17 degrees of timing or full advance under boost isn't bad and keeping the correction factor close to zero at high boost shouldn't cause any problems.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
X-man said:
What boost psi were you running when you observed this? The stock ecu is mapped to 12 psi where the fuel cut is if I understood Reg correctly and 16 psi or alittle more if he removes this. 17 degrees of timing or full advance under boost isn't bad and keeping the correction factor close to zero at high boost shouldn't cause any problems.

WG is 9 psi, no idea what MAP was @ the time.

don't forget the stock ECU is mapped for a CT compressor @ 12 psi, not any real compressor.....flow matters, not pressure.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I understand what your saying, but if I'm not hitting the fuel cut or tuning around it with my vpc/afc then the stock ecu hasn't seen the air flow required to trigger the fuel cut. The stock ecu doesn't know what turbo is on the car. It is still doing it's mapping based on stock ct26/440 cc inj. maps so the numbers you came up with should still apply as long as you are working under the area of where the fuel cut is triggered. What is interesting is that I can run 29 to 32 psi or more which has to be a substantial increase in air flow from a ct26 around fuel cut stock and still not trigger the fuel cut. It would be nice to have just the timing tracking feature in a seperate unit so timing could be monitored for those of us that don't need the other features. Bottomline is this is a great product at one heck of a price. Hats off to everyone involved with the developement of this.
Sean

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
drjonez said:
a standalone timing monitor has been discussed but it is not feasible due to the frugality of the MKIII crowd.

How is it monitored through the MAFT Pro? Is there a simple way to hook up temporarily to get a reading? What was the discussed price of building a standalone timing monitor?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
X-man said:
How is it monitored through the MAFT Pro? Is there a simple way to hook up temporarily to get a reading? What was the discussed price of building a standalone timing monitor?

timing is monitored using the AFM input (you must be using the MAFT pro in speed/density mode). sure, you could just hook it up to check- you'll need pwr, gnd, RPM and the input.

a standalone timing monitor would probably run $150-200 due to manufacturing /packaging costs.....we didn't deem it as feasible given the austerity of the MKIII crowd.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
nope. i've had a series of personal tragedies recently, so the pro development is on the back burner. i'm hoping to do something w/it before Christmas....the soft is all there, it's merely a matter of me giving it my blessing...

T34418L3ONE

Supra for brains.....
Jul 3, 2005
Pleasanton
yea second for the standalone timing feature, im down after i get the maft pro running good in speed density (hopefully in jan!)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
personally i think that is a fair price. look at the price of other gauges like defi, apexi, etc. add to the fact timing has been such a mystery and this is the only one of its kind. people underestimate how much difference timing makes on the car. not only in numbers, but response as well. if you had an emanage or itc you could actually start playing w/ the timing directly and see what the car likes. or even w/ an afc you can indirectly control timing to some degree by playing w/ fuel % and counteract it w/ bfp. i would def be interested in a stand alone device if i didnt have plans to upgrade my maft to a pro ;)
on a side note- sorry to hear about your troubles adam. hope things work out for you.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
dbsupra90 said:
personally i think that is a fair price. look at the price of other gauges like defi, apexi, etc. add to the fact timing has been such a mystery and this is the only one of its kind. people underestimate how much difference timing makes on the car. not only in numbers, but response as well. if you had an emanage or itc you could actually start playing w/ the timing directly and see what the car likes. or even w/ an afc you can indirectly control timing to some degree by playing w/ fuel % and counteract it w/ bfp. i would def be interested in a stand alone device if i didnt have plans to upgrade my maft to a pro ;)...

i totally agree, this is THE thing the MKIII world has been missing. but we are definitely the minority. timing is half of the gain you see when using a SAFC to "lean out" the mixture....

when considering designing a new product, you have to think about the majority- who will be buying this? how much will they pay? how low can i make my costs? the fact of the matter is that for the number of timing monitors we would sell it's impossible to make them cost effective.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
props to bob. for producing. and props to adam for making it happen mk3 style

definityly sounds good.. once i got things figured out i'll definily be picking up this little package.. ...

btwi have a mbc and if i turn up the boost and have it on a/f tracking

would it be just watch my boost gauge and make sure i keep it in the disired boost and let the maft pro tune it's self??

EDIT!!!??S!?!?!

hey guys iw as just thinking would it be posisble to use smaler then stock injectors and be able to tune it correctly?

say like 380cc or 330cc injectors....

Last edited:

turbobob

Aug 15, 2005
Near Detroit
pimptrizkit said:
props to bob. for producing. and props to adam for making it happen mk3 style

definityly sounds good.. once i got things figured out i'll definily be picking up this little package.. ...

btwi have a mbc and if i turn up the boost and have it on a/f tracking

would it be just watch my boost gauge and make sure i keep it in the disired boost and let the maft pro tune it's self??

EDIT!!!??S!?!?!

hey guys iw as just thinking would it be posisble to use smaler then stock injectors and be able to tune it correctly?

say like 380cc or 330cc injectors....

It would work fine, but I'm not sure why you would put in smaller injectors...