Lucy - Im home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
TTL I would be happy to do one for you. Help me come up with some ideas.

Im liking the 1-3/4" cowl so much I have to redo my hood now. Which Im thinking will be pretty easy to take material out. I'm going to do a NACA duct over the intake with a rain trap. I am probably going to try to fab some kind of heat shield as well. The idea is that I want to pump cold air from outside right to the intake while keeping the rain out, and also keeping away the engine bay heat. When I get the first one done, I'm pretty sure people are gonna want it.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
n19700004_31560073_9084.jpg

boy my car is anxious to get her hood back ;)

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
lol @ Tim's red hood

Weez, I was actually drawing up a design with 2 NACA ducts, one on either side, strategically placed so that it will work for a stock IM and also for an FFIM. I'd also want some sort of reverse scoop like what's found on the EVO :) I may actually drop the cowel out completely on mine though...

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
I've got the trim, but haven't painted it yet. The paint on the car is a long story, I think I told you swaq at the meet... hrmm

full repaint is a ways off, but when it happens, its gunna be Flint Mica.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:love: ....Weezl, is that a welding iron your wielding or a magic wand? That blue hood is awesome work. I can't wait to see what it looks like painted. Once again you've managed to amaze me..............:bowdown:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Dude, dont sweat it. Im leaning towards not doing my rebuild this month. I think Im just gonna do an HG replacement in car. I realized just yesterday that Im going to be doing this all by myself as Tim will be in WA by the time I am ready to do it.

Sorry to hear about the BHG. That sucks royal balls :3d_frown: Dont forget I owe you a favor already. So feel free to call that in. It may be your last chance.
Have air tools, will travel. :naughty:

Weather is supposed to be nice this week.

xanatos

Jan 18, 2007
Norcross, GA
I have to chide in with all the others. Sweet job on the hoods man. I must say though that the blue one is my fav so far. I want to do mine soon but I was thinking of doing the reverse. I don't really plan on doing a cowl lift and really I'm just thinking of cutting in a front facing intake into the existing cowl by cutting the edges and a straight line across and pushing the metal down. Any thoughts on what I might run into with the existing support structure. Primarily, I like the look better of a front facing intake, but I'd rather move the air in a useful fashion if possible. Whatcha think o' guru of hood'um?

Oh and as a personal request, any chance we could see some pics of the underside of your work? I'm very curious as to how you're sorting out all of that bracing underneath and if you're doing anything special for routing the air flow.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Yeah, I got slowed down by the rain today, but I should have yours in primer by the end of the day tomorrow.

I will try to take some pics of the support structure on request. Its different for each design obviously, Tims was slightly more complicated but actually turned out very strong and rigid.

This isnt rocket science (though I did like being called the "Guro of Hood'dum") its really basic sheet metal work, a little thought, and a ton of hand labor. Ive always been happiest when I'm creating.

A front facing vent (or in otherwords a scoop) would be fairly easy, just a reverse of the vent on Tims hood. Imagine the reverse vent flipped around and allowing air into the engine compartment. I can even envision making it 100% functional by having that intake feed a funnel of air tooooooo.....something (intake? turbo?). The funnel section could be mounted just back of the radiator and duct either direction. A rubber seal could keep it contained for a nice cool charge of air. I might just have to work on something like that.

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
OK, well on to another topic for the moment. I was able to pick up a replacement Targa top. Mine leaked SOOOOO bad that I couldnt take it anymore, and I had already tried repeatedly to seal it. New one seems good so far.

SO...I was sitting there looking at the old targa and thought, "now what am I going to do with that?"

Gears started turning and I looked at it so long that I swear I smelled smoke. But then, an Idea! I have a plan for it now, but Im not gonna reveal it until I finish it. And Tim please dont spill the beans. Stay tuned, I should be able to do my "targa mod" early next week. (as if I dont already have enough to do :1zhelp: )

Status
Not open for further replies.