Status
Not open for further replies.

kylefoto

I am not ASIAN!
May 7, 2006
Lynnwood, WA
www.myspace.com
Loki said:
I didn't even think of running the gauges off the circuit board like that, thanks for the pics.
Agreed.
I was wondering how I was going to work out mine with the after market gauges in and you've helped a whole lot with that weez!
NOW
pictures that were promised of it IN the car :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Looking good Pete! I like the gauge cluster, and the surprisingly original idea of using the factory circuits for the lighting... I'm surprised nobody's used that yet. Good work!
I looooovvveee the hood you made speed-dodici!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
supra90turbo said:
I looooovvveee the hood you made speed-dodici!

Thanks man, I love that hood too. Im planning on making myself a few different hoods and have them all painted to match my car and then I can swap em out as the whim hits me...lol

On the gauges, Im hoping the 3E5 panel isnt too much, especially when combined with the red fibergalss console piece Im working on. My eventual plan is to do red suede center sections on the seats surrounded by a graphite leather. Im also going to be using the same red suede for the door panels, e-brake boot and shifter boot (when I finally go 5 spd).

I should have the dash in today and can start on the console. Today is my last day to play with cosmetics, Im starting my HG/turbo job tomorrow.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
woot! Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you... The red suede/graphite leather scheme sounds great! Can't wait to see it progress!

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Wow man i love your cluster, im gonna try to put in a digital guage in place of the stocker soon, You just hooked up the light source for the guage onto the circuit board? looks nice and clean what did you use to connect/jumper them srry im blind.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
americanjebus said:
Wow man i love your cluster, im gonna try to put in a digital guage in place of the stocker soon, You just hooked up the light source for the guage onto the circuit board? looks nice and clean what did you use to connect/jumper them srry im blind.

Well to make room for the gauges I had to cut out a couple of the bulbs that normally light the stock gauges. Once those were out of the way, I simply soldered the wires for the new gauges onto the either side of the stock light location. No real big deal. I just thought it would be easier than tapping the source elsewhere and having to run wires. This way the cluster comes out as one unit.

I was hoping to get a Sport Comp fuel gauge but I wanted a full sweep and there isnt a sport comp full sweep that works on our cars (not that I could find anyway) The stoc fuel gauge is fine for me its accurate. Now I will have accurate readings of the vitals and I dont have to waste space for thos gauges.

My AEM wideband is due to get here tomorrow so I'm hoping to get that located in my fiberglass console next to my SAFCII. Bleh, back to the coal mine for me.......

maitai69691

Jul 24, 2005
hilo hawaii
wow love the hood thats the exat same thing i did to mine just added a little angle to the side of the cowl. hope you where smarter than me and didnt cut your under hood frame lol.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
maitai69691 said:
hope you where smarter than me and didnt cut your under hood frame lol.

over in my hoods for sale thread I posted a couple of pics of what I do to the framework. Basically I cut the support structure, lift it up with the cowl, and re-attach it at 3 points. Works great and is very solid.

xanatos

Jan 18, 2007
Norcross, GA
Hahaha, looks like WeezL clutches Supra parts when he sleeps instead of a teddy bear.

How bout it Weez? You gonna admit you've had an IC pipe or valve cover in the crook of an arm while you dream about working on the Sup?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Progress made today:

AFPR lines showed up from Driftmotion (Thanks Aaron)
AEM Wideband showed up, havent even opened the box
Parts removed: Turbo, IC pipes, upper Intake, alternator (polishing the body, painting the bracket), fuel rail, radiator, valve covers.

Tomorrow I should have the head off so it can go to the machine shop Monday. Head is getting surfaced, valve job, and some basic match porting and Im having the studs all redone. Anyone have any advice on seperating the head from the block, or should it pull up fairly easily?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
speed dodici said:
I'm coming back down the weekend of the 24th for a party, you still going to be building or think she'll be done?

I will likely be putting it all back together that weekend yes. Bob Forrest said he would try real hard to get the head done before the weekend. Then as soon as I have her all back together I have to go to Portland to get my transmission.

Progress made today: head is off and disassembled. Top of the block is clean and the pistons have been de-carbon'd

Parts that arrived: Targa seals, AEM wideband.

Parts ordered: additional fuel fittings, IC pipe reducers and clamps.

injuries so far: 1 small cut, 1 knuckle abrasion, sore lumbar, one dizzy spell from too much Chemtool fumes.

Tomorrow Im allowing myself a half day off, but now that I have real nice access to the firewall I am going to partially plumb my gauges, and start on the fiberglass console work.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ok, here is what I discovered today. I got the head off (quite easily too I might add). I was suprised at what good shape the gasket was in.

rebuild2.jpg

It came right off the block in one piece and left behind almost no residue. Im guessing this had jut been put on recently, although the previous owner hadnt mentioned it. (what a surprise :nono: )

rebuild2.jpg

Looked closely at the cylinder walls and they look fabulous. If Im not mistaken those are hone marks still visible?

rebuild1.jpg

Upon closer examination of the gasket I discovered some interesting signs. It looks like I was either already blowing exhaust gases into my coolant or I was just about to. I dont think this gasket was long for the world. Im now VERY VERY gald I decided against leaving the head on and just bolting on my upgrades. This is passenger side of cylinders 5 and 6.

rebuild4.jpg

rebuild5.jpg

rebuild6.jpg

Spent the rest of the day with chemtool and a scotchbright pad on a sanding block cleaning the surface of the block. I know why the 5th cylinder was weak as there was a relatively bad pit there. I took the surface down as evenly as I could and cleaned the tops of the pistons as well. Im also really glad I have and air compressor.

rebuild7.jpg

rebuild8.jpg

So, I guess I was a BHG in training. I still plan to do a full rebuild later this year, but for now a genuine Toyota headgasket, spray copper and ARP's is gonna have to be enough. Tomorrow I will finish disassembling the head (need to make a "Wiggins tool" to get the valves out.) then Im gonna play with electronics.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I work in WeezL time...which is like 4 times human time, but only after it gets dark, lol I have to work fast because TX2K7 is approaching fast. :aigo:

I was showing no signs of BHG except one, the "waterfall".

Status
Not open for further replies.