Just Another Rebuild

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Uh oh... That keyway looks busticated man. If memory serves the front keyway and rear should look identical. It looks like the front one has a shoulder that's broken off. I hope it's an optical illusion from the pics you took!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
It looks like they're from the crank. Is the front keyway actually wider than the back one? It certainly looks like a clean break in the pics - like the key tore a chunk off the shoulder of the keyway.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I don't think I'm explaining it correctly. I've edited one of your pics to hopefully make it a little bit easier to "see" what I'm talking about. The two keyways should be identical and I've drawn a red line from the rear to the front to show how they at least look different in the pics. The scribbles are what, to my eyes at least, look to be missing parts of the crank.

Let me know if that makes more sense.

By the way, how'd you get the crank-bolt off? Was it even tight?

Attachments

• crank keyway.jpg
    crank keyway.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 81

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Micky: Ok I thought you were talking about the keys at first. It is a bit rounded off at that point you scribbled on. The crank bolt was tight from the last time I tightened it but it didn't take near as much effort as I thought it should have.

IJ: Yea, I had to tighten the crank bolt when I got it because I could loosen it with a small wrench. Time to go check and see if the crank in the other block is still good! The balancer is that part in the picture right?

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
The key on the right is basically perfect, but the other has an indentation in it. :nono:

So what do you guys think of this one? It looks much straighter than before. There is still a very slight size difference but it seems negligible, but you guys know better than I would. :icon_conf

Attachments

• P1010124.jpg
    P1010124.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1010127.jpg
    P1010127.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010126.jpg
    P1010126.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 42
  • P1010125.jpg
    P1010125.jpg