illegal mods

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I think here in the UK - the rolling exemption was cut off at 1979 unfortunately, although cars all the way up until 1991 didnt have to have anything like a Catalytic converter, and they werent even mandatory until late 1992. Thats why almost all our Supra's are Cat free ;)

Vehicles still have to pass emissions though, pre august '86 vehicles had to adhere to 4.5% CO level, '86 to '92 vehicles were 3.5% CO level, but after that when Catalytic converters had to adhere to 0.5% CO level :(

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
First off, I love WY..... Got pulled over there once driving from Denver to Salt Lake City. I had no idea how fast I was going, the speedo in the old Chevy Celebrity I was driving pegged at 85.

I saw lights a mile of two back, and getting further back. I decided to "face the music", pulled over and waited..... for a while.

The officer said I was doing over one hundred and gaining. He said that given that it was 3AM and he hadn't seen a car in over three hours that I was free to go, but to please limit it to what the speedo was capable of and to slow down when cresting hills.

That was AWESOME!

As for illegal mods here in Denver. I think the most I've heard of any around here getting was an addition to their MASSIVE speeding ticket for running NOS in city limits. There are a couple little cities in the greater Denver metro area where you need to play it real cool, but overall they don't care much about mods here.... oh, there are laws about them, but unless you're being an idiot, you'll never hear about them.

jkbmkiii

Supramania Contributor
Nov 24, 2005
Castle Rock colorado
I have been pulled over for everything here in colorado and the only ticket as far as what was on the car was a noise ticket(exhuast), never had any body pop the hood to see what was in there!

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
figgie said:
Illegal

folks not sure what all you guys in the US are talking about. But if you have removed EGR or Catalyst you are infact illegal but you are illegal at a FEDERAL level. What this means is that you can get infact ticketed if they want to, to the tune of $10,000. Federal law overides state city, municipal and local laws.

Unfortunate, but true. Fact is, it all comes down to enforcement, though, and I've NEVER heard of anybody being prosecuted under federal emissions laws for running without an EGR or anything else.

Lucky for us - the VET (vehicle emissions test) got the plug pulled on it a couple of years ago and the lawsuits didn't bring it back. :icon_razz I'm thinking about a 3" exhaust, and you can bet a test pipe beats an expensive high flow cat, hands down. My environmentalist brother in law will crap himself when he finds out, but I will go out of my way to walk past a recycling bin and throw an aluminum can in the garbage just to piss him off, anyway. :biglaugh:

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
Yellow 13 said:
Are you talking about the front or the back plate?
they're on under the back plate on an r-34 for sure and i think the 33 as well, one red and one while, there was a guy in a different post that said it's either a jap spec or euro spec only, pick up an r34 in GT4 and look at the ass of it

ross

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The "fog" lamp on the Euro spec Supra's are required by the French IIRC. (And possibly some other Euro countries that deal with very thick fog on a regular basis.)

My A8 has one built into the left tailamp, and if you turn it on, it automaticly turns on the front fog lamps too.

Note that this ONE lamp is supposed to be quite a bit brighter than your running lamps, more like the brightness of a brake light. The idea is to give the guy behind you a chance to see you in fog. If you have two of them, they might be mistaken for brake lamps due to how bright they are.

On the subject of CA laws and living there, I grew up in Ventura county, and I don't miss it at all. Idaho has slightly colder winters, and the summers are about the same, but the people and the laws in this state are totally less liberal than CA. (Thank the environmentalist liberal left for your restrictive laws on what you can, or cannot change on your car. Heck, the really radical ones think you should not even own a car. let alone drive it on a daily basis.)

Whacko's in my opinion. (Let them ride busses and light rail... Oh wait, they all need SUV's and live in 15,000 sq. ft. houses with only 1 kid because they are rich, well educated and well, they just need the large house and big vehicle... but YOU should conserve energy, live in a condo or 20 story apartment building that is solar powered, made from recycled tires and make sure your old car does not polute their air...oh wait, everyone's air.... Oh, I'm just thinking out loud, I'd better sit on my huge redwood deck and watch the sun go down over my private beach here in Malibu...Oh, even better, let's light a fire, and have a BBQ in the pit down on the beach. Who cares that my burning wood in this fire pit creates more polution than your car will in a year, it's my beach dang-it, and I want to roast weenies.)

Environmentalist + Liberal = Hypocrite.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Hey, one more thiing about CA that I find amusing. (And sick actually.)
I read that they are impounding and taking away cars that are caught street racing? Also they are impounding spectators vehicles, and if your convicted, you lose your car?

Wow, that's totally stupid. Who is going to stop when the PD hits the lights anymore? (That would be NOBODY since if you happen to be racing to the next light, or just playing around, your possibly going to lose your car if you stop, so screw them, just keep going and you might get away...)

Also let us look at the results of street racing. A few deaths a year at most. That's it. (Well, and the fact that it supports a billion dollar tuning industry...) There is WAY more death and distruction created by DUI's than street racing every year, but you don't see them passing laws that will impound or crush your car for driving while drinking do you? (More liberal's making your laws...)

Welcome to CA. Now turn out your pockets and pop your hood. If you have weed, your fine, but remove your EGR and your busted buddy!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Adjuster said:
The "fog" lamp on the Euro spec Supra's are required by the French IIRC. (And possibly some other Euro countries that deal with very thick fog on a regular basis.)

My A8 has one built into the left tailamp, and if you turn it on, it automaticly turns on the front fog lamps too.

Note that this ONE lamp is supposed to be quite a bit brighter than your running lamps, more like the brightness of a brake light. The idea is to give the guy behind you a chance to see you in fog. If you have two of them, they might be mistaken for brake lamps due to how bright they are.

Yeah they're massively bright - 35watt - more than the brake lights! :aigo:

Most EU spec cars have to come with front and rear fog lights now - they've been required on any car made after 1986, as well as the ability to dip your main beams.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Adjuster said:
Just for the record, it's mandatory in Germany for vehicles from '90 and on (I think I've also seen those fog lights on pics of a UK spec MKIII).
But even my '82 MKII has rear fog lights, and as opposed to the MKIII ones they are both functional. Looks much better.
In Germany the law states to switch them on in fog with visibility below 50 meters. Unfortunately people tend to use them more often than necessary (e.g. in rain) and often forget to turn them off when the fog is gone. Really annoying at night...

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
I'm illegal in both my cars... My Focus ZX5 with my bass hitting a 153.2 setting off alarms, and the low rumble of my MKIII 88T 3" Custom Pipe setting off alarms. It's cool to be ghetto in my town and stare down white kids.... that's why I invested in a Grover Air Horn for my focus... very fun... would highly recommend it.

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
Adjuster said:
Hey, one more thiing about CA that I find amusing. (And sick actually.)
I read that they are impounding and taking away cars that are caught street racing? Also they are impounding spectators vehicles, and if your convicted, you lose your car?

Wow, that's totally stupid. Who is going to stop when the PD hits the lights anymore? (That would be NOBODY since if you happen to be racing to the next light, or just playing around, your possibly going to lose your car if you stop, so screw them, just keep going and you might get away...)

Also let us look at the results of street racing. A few deaths a year at most. That's it. (Well, and the fact that it supports a billion dollar tuning industry...) There is WAY more death and distruction created by DUI's than street racing every year, but you don't see them passing laws that will impound or crush your car for driving while drinking do you? (More liberal's making your laws...)

Welcome to CA. Now turn out your pockets and pop your hood. If you have weed, your fine, but remove your EGR and your busted buddy!

i honestly think that this law is stupid especially for the people that just happen to be there, lets say you are at a light and your car is fixed up..you can kiss your car goodbye, because you were at the scene and they have proof that you could have been racing.

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
MKIII N00b said:
i honestly think that this law is stupid especially for the people that just happen to be there, lets say you are at a light and your car is fixed up..you can kiss your car goodbye, because you were at the scene and they have proof that you could have been racing.

that is soo true.. i dont know if i would stop if i knew they would impound my car forever.

solid400

Apr 8, 2005
Atlanta GA
I go to school in Atlanta but have an internship down in Valdost (south GA) Anywhere near metro Atlanta has emissions tests every year but I like the way my car sounds without a cat and a non working EGR so I have my car registered in Valdosta under my address there so I don't have to get emissions checked. And the chicks like it when you tell them your car isn't street legal :naughty: