illegal mods

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
there are some mods you can put on that are smog legal. the k&n fipk is one and i think there is a version of the sperco intercooler that is smog legal also.
i use a cooleze upper ic pipe w/ a hk$ knock off ssbov.
as soon as i need to get a smog,i just put the stock stuff back on

Supra_Z

7M dreamin
Feb 15, 2006
San Jose CA
yea pretty much if you do something to piss a cop off your car is illegal here. And last time i checked your car has to be 30 years old then you can do whatever you want to it and it will be smog exmept.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Brewster said:
i think you're talking about the rear euro lights. dunno exactly what they do.. only came on euro cars.

Yeah, they're called number plate lights - so its easier for Coppers, Speed Cameras and Congestion Charging Camera's to read your number plate in the dark. They only come on when the side lights are on - not like daytime running lights (which suck) :naughty:

87centertips

Dec 12, 2005
edmonton alberta
theres not to many illegal part in canada. but they did make a statment that the are crushing all cars caught street racing it was cool the crushed to civics on national television with a bull dozer

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
MKIII N00b said:
ive seen someone on here that has that, they said it only goes on when they have the fog lights on...
As Brewster already said, that sounds like the Euro rear fog lights, there is an extra switch to turn them on:

rear_foglights.jpg

(the one on the right is not supposed to be lit because it's fake - no wiring and no socket in there)

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
born2drv said:
california rolled out something else, i think everyone should be worried about:

REMOTE SMOG SENSING

Remote smog sensors are appearing along California roadsides to measure emissions from cars as they drive by. The entire process takes about three seconds.

(1) An infrared beam shot across the highway picks up the contents of a car's exhaust. A calibrator and computer on the other side of the road screen and measure the emissions.

(2) At the same time, a camera snaps a pictire of the vehicle's license plate. The state uses that in information to find and notify the vehicle's owner if emissions are too high.

So basically you could get a ticket in the mail saying your car is emitting too much smog and that you need to get it retested!

Texas does something similar. They have a big white unmarked van they put on the side of the road, usually @ an on-ramp to the freeway so you`re a "captive audience"! It has the little sensor and camera set up beside it. Pretty much a joke. I just avoid it. as for passing emissions here, it helps to have friends who are inspectors.:naughty:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Illegal

folks not sure what all you guys in the US are talking about. But if you have removed EGR or Catalyst you are infact illegal but you are illegal at a FEDERAL level. What this means is that you can get infact ticketed if they want to, to the tune of $10,000. Federal law overides state city, municipal and local laws.

And the way things are going it WILL be a matter of time before we see that start to happen EVERYWHERE.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
encomiast said:
As Brewster already said, that sounds like the Euro rear fog lights, there is an extra switch to turn them on:

rear_foglights.jpg

(the one on the right is not supposed to be lit because it's fake - no wiring and no socket in there)

Yeah i found that out the hard way after i bought a bulb for it :3d_frown:

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
Yellow 13 said:
....And for those of us in CA only another 5-9 years before they become "Classics" and dont have to meet any requirements.

Not gonna happen. The smog free year is frozen at 1975 and earlier in CA now. They changed the rolling 30 year exemption about a year ago.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
some of the dumb laws around here are a small price to pay in the big picture of why I like CA. I'm close to everything. The beach. Hollywood. Mexico(fun parties). San Diego (one of the best parts of socal). And I live in a small suburban city where I don't have to deal with traffic or any of the other cons about the big city.

Anyway, I drive my car everyday. I don't get scared when I see cops.