Home depot lip

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
bigaaron said:
I submit my entry for the Home Depot lip contest:

p709238_1.jpg
looks sweet to me! i'd do this if my bumper and lip weren't already fuxed to hell and back :icon_evil

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I might have a pic of theWeezL's Home Depot lip from the small Portland meet last year. It looked really nice, I wouldn't have guessed it was constructed from Home Depot parts. I'm away from my home computer until Monday at the earliest though. I'll see if I can dig up a picture when I get back (if I remember).

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
lip1.jpg

lip2.jpg

lip3.jpg

Some people laughed and called it ghetto. While that may have been true, it looked good to me and that was all that mattered.

The files that showed the process have disappeared so Im afraid I cant show ya whats behind that. Its a simple support structure made from steel strapping and angle brackets. The covering is refered to as "cove base" and it is held in place with 3M heavy duty indoor outdoor foam tape. The cove base comes in limited colors but gloss and matte black are available. Had it up to well over 80mph with no ill effects. It did however make the car a pain to drive in and out of driveways and such.

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
theWeezL said:
http://home.comcast.net/~theweezl/lip1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~theweezl/lip2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~theweezl/lip3.jpg

Some people laughed and called it ghetto. While that may have been true, it looked good to me and that was all that mattered.

The files that showed the process have disappeared so Im afraid I cant show ya whats behind that. Its a simple support structure made from steel strapping and angle brackets. The covering is refered to as "cove base" and it is held in place with 3M heavy duty indoor outdoor foam tape. The cove base comes in limited colors but gloss and matte black are available. Had it up to well over 80mph with no ill effects. It did however make the car a pain to drive in and out of driveways and such.

I bet if you had not told them what you did they never would have called it ghetto.

Just looking at the car you cant tell its a home made lip. I think it looks bad ass!!! :love:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
OK, well I was personally asked very nicely to repost the pics of the process on how to do this. I'll see if I can dig up the original photos and rehost them. Give me a few hours and the first post should be fixed.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
theWeezL said:
OK, well I was personally asked very nicely to repost the pics of the process on how to do this. I'll see if I can dig up the original photos and rehost them. Give me a few hours and the first post should be fixed.

Thanks weeeeez =)

Well all appreciate it, and it really did come out very very nice looking :D

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
So whats this cove base material? Were would we find it in home depot? Is like like housing material or something along those lines? I looked on there website and couldnt come up with much....

I really do appreciate you updating the pictures and helping out your fellow pre-89 community :D

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
s383mmber1 said:
Found its guys! Also known as vinyal wall base :)

yes you can find it in the flooring section I believe. Its typically used in bathrooms around the base of the walls...thus the term "wall base"

j3pz said:
very nice. if i/someone thinks of a better way to attach to the car id be sold

Well I was originally going to make a plate that then went back as an engine undercover and extended far enough forward to be a mounting point for the lip structure. I got lazy and never got around to it.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
man, that turned out quite well.. the only thing that raises any bit of suspicion is the ends of it by the wheels where they flare out. i bet you could add some metal strapping behind the ends and a strut to pull them back in a hair so they were perpendicular to the ground.

i want a lip that hangs lower than the stock unit but i already have a stock 89+ lip... which is minty. i think id only remove it in favor of a shine lip or something of the sort.